Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone produce a 1:9 Doc Savage head sculpt? (Silver Age)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GlobalObserver
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 12, 2004

• phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

If you mean the James Bama/Bantam Books version I used a head I got from Dr. Mego. It was quite some time ago and I don't remember what he called it but it's basically a bald version of the MEGO Thor head.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 12, 2004

My first ever custom was Doc Savage back in 1974. I dressed an Aquaman figure in Dr. Zaius pants, black boots, and a torn shirt. I used a red sharpie to draw some bloody scratches on the body. A year later I used a Big Jim Dr. Steel. I rubbed off the tattoos, painted on James Bama-style hair, and used other Big Jim clothes and boots to finish him off. It actually didn't look too bad. (but it didn't look too good either)

With a new movie in the works, maybe we'll get a fully authorized Mego-style Doc.

I have the 1/6 Go Hero Doc (silver age) and would loved to have a scaled down version of that figure.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Years ago here, I remember a Doc Savage that used a Thor head with sculpted Bama-style "skull-cap" hair. Looked pretty good.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 12, 2004

I definitely remember someone on here having a Bama-style Doc head for sale, but it was quite a few years ago.

Comment

• phil
            Persistent Member
            • May 11, 2007

I just painted the skull cap hair on. Worked fairly well. If I could post a photo I would.
            After seeing the Doc Savage movie in the '70s I dressed my Mego Superman in Zaius' pants and boots and used the jacket from the Action Jackson Army outfit since Doc word a similar jacket in the movie. Had a lot of fun with him. The picnic table was his airship to travel the world and smash evil. I don't remember trying to make any of the Fabulous Five. That would have to wait until I did proper customs many years later.

Comment

• TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 18, 2015

Originally posted by GlobalObserver
              My first ever custom was Doc Savage back in 1974. I dressed an Aquaman figure in Dr. Zaius pants, black boots, and a torn shirt. I used a red sharpie to draw some bloody scratches on the body. A year later I used a Big Jim Dr. Steel. I rubbed off the tattoos, painted on James Bama-style hair, and used other Big Jim clothes and boots to finish him off. It actually didn't look too bad. (but it didn't look too good either) .
              Any Pictures?
              The hands that grip.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 12, 2004

Originally posted by TheNewGiJoeWithKungFuGrip
                Any Pictures?
                I'm afraid not. That was more than 40 years ago, and they weren't exactly picture-worthy.

I have thought of recreating them. It wouldn't take much doing.

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

I remember someone did this one... can't recall whom (although I want to say it was a Canadian Ex-pat transplanted to the US)
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎