X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

12" Mego Hand Manipulation Techniques?

I'm working on a 1/6 ANSA Taylor Cotswold mash-up built on a super clean, vintage Mego Superman muscle bod. I've not messed around with these bodies before and have noticed the hands are cast in a very stiff plastic in comparison to their 1/9 counterparts.

Any insight or wisdom in manipulating these hands in order to hold accessories? Will the old hot water soak yield similar results on these hands without cracking/breaking?

Has anyone opted to swap these vintage hands for modern versions better suited to hold things, and if so, do you recommend a brand? Having worked with HT and SS bodies, I'm already aware of the significant differences in modern wrist post/plugs assemblies.

Any thoughts are most appreciated.
  • Carmelkettle
    Museum Patron
    • May 26, 2015

I have no experience with these specific bodies, but based on my repair and replacement of vintage GI Joe and Captain Action (12"), hands were not designed for any re-shaping. I don't think the plastics then had the flexibility or 'memory' of plastics today and they easily break no matter how careful. I'd suggest changing hands. Actually it's interesting that even today manufacturers include extra hands in different positions, rather than creating a 'flexible' hand that can be re-adjusted (yes there are a few out there but they don't look or work that well). Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎