• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Captain Dunsel
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 31, 2001

RM Iron Man?

Hey guys and gals!
    Has anyone found or created a decent Mego-scale Iron Man helmet? I was hoping to use the current Pez dispenser, but it has lots of strange inner architecture that would need to be hollowed out and overall seems too large anyway. Also, it'd be nice if was a more classic '70s facemask rather than the current film version.
    I'm considering making one out of thermoplastic, but wondered what other ideas where out there...
    Mego Madhouse
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

What about using a DM Galahad repro head as Stark (it's slightly smaller), and making a mold of the Mego IM head? Could you then slush-mold the mask, or coat Plasti-Dip inside?

BTW, great to see you post--I've long admired your work.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Captain Dunsel
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 31, 2001

Thanks, PNGwynne. It's good to be back! I was thinking of using Ivanhoe for Stark (typical, I know) and basing my helmet along the lines of Mego Launcelot's helmet... maybe even with a flip-up faceplate. There are lots of ways to do it as a custom for sitting on the shelf ... but I'm giving myself the extra challenge of making it "play friendly" for my kids. They LOVE RM batman, and the entire super-knights set with all their removable helmets, etc. They've commented on many occasions how cool it would be to have Iron Man's helmet come off ...and I completely agree!!
      Mego Madhouse

Comment

• cockyhoskins
        Career Member
        • Jan 13, 2009

There was a big thread on here a couple years back on this, but a quick search couldn't find it.

These two were the closest I found on the subject:

Don't have a Mego Iron Man ... but I do have a FC Iron Man helmet. and some extra heads. Tried Ivanhoe in the helmet , as he's a ringer for Mr. Stark. I can get it to squeeze in and close the helmet, but it's a struggle every time. Tried a Robin Hood head, and this works fine. Hmmm... if only Robin had black hair

Hope it helps!

Comment

• Megotu
          jerk
          • Dec 16, 2001

I would make it from silicon mold making materials, cast in color.
          Make a hard resin mold of the Pez head FACE DOWN and only make a half-mold. After curing, coat the resin mold with mold release and pour more resin over the other half, filling the mold container, making a two part mold.
          Take out Pez head, insert Stark Head, suspended so it isn't touching anywhere in the old. Fill with red colored silicon and cure. Cut out and remove red face.
          Repeat with yellow silicon and cut out the yellow face leaving enough flash to "tuck in" the yellow face. You could thin the lip of the red helmet part and thin the lip of the yellow face flash gently so as to avoid bulges. Not completely dissimilar to a Captain Action mask.
          Last edited by Megotu; Mar 25, '14, 11:57 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Spyweb007
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 18, 2006

You could probably coat a Pez Iron Man head with plasti-dip and get a decent helmet/mask out of it. I've done this with Captain America and Batman Pez dispensers and had good results.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

here's a really good tool dip mask tutorial.

http://web.archive.org/web/200910192.../FAQ/mask.html
              Last edited by thunderbolt; Mar 25, '14, 5:11 PM.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• luclin999
                Museum Patron
                • Oct 27, 2011

Interesting that this topic just popped up as I was just about to start work on the same project...

Comment

• luclin999
                  Museum Patron
                  • Oct 27, 2011

BTW Captain...

I love your Kor and Kang custom pieces.

Comment

• Captain Dunsel
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 31, 2001

Thanks, luclin999! I appreciate that.

And thanks, everyone for the tips and links! That Morrow head looks a bit more '70s Stark too ...I hadn't thought of that one. I'll tinker a bit and let y'all know how it goes!
                    Mego Madhouse

Comment

• stuart
                      Hi-Yo Silver Away!
                      • Jun 18, 2007

I've been thinking about a RM Ironman and was wondering if the new Captain Action mask and armor could be shrunk down using Hydroshrink. I've cast a couple of heads with the stuff and they're still in the shrinking phase. Right now they're very soft and I'm assuming they will be soft when down to final size - solid enough to cast, but still rubbery. I'll be glad to attempt a shrink of the armor if an experienced "shrinker" will give me their opinion of success. I think I'll have to use a 2-piece mold for the parts. I'm including some pictures for reference.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by stuart; Apr 10, '14, 3:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎