Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DarthMego
    • Jan 11, 2014

Need help with sewing patterns

Hello all, I recently created a thread on a consignment thread and got bombarded from all directions saying how my offer price was too low, guess I would have to start from scratch then. Im looking to create a uniform using this template: http://www.megomadhouse.com/images/p...vieuniform.pdf. I have read up on Dave McCormick's tutorial and have and studied the template. I think I understand (mostly) where goes where but I have a few doubts, and thus would like to address it.

1) Assuming I start off with the left sleeve. Do I sew (half of) the sleeve onto one side of the front left panel, then sew the other half onto the back panel and finally (after doing the same with the other sleeve) sew the two front panels together? I decided that sewing the front and back panels then sewing the sleeve on would be too troublesome. Tell me what you think.

2) Many parts of the uniform requires piping. I read up tutorials on how to do this but where could I buy the 'Un-stretched Narrow Elastic' from (I intend to use this, although stated to be used for the pants, but also to use it for the white layer and the back of the uniform)?

3) How the 'White Layer Front Right Panel' and the 'Inside Front Left Panel' are to be sewn on. Could someone who perhaps done this before give some advice?

4) What material I should use for the epaulet, chest insignia, and buckle.

5) Where I could find PVC for the belt? Will leather do any harm to the figure or uniform, if not could it be deemed it as an (ironic) alternative?

Thank you!
  • theressa
    Sewing...?
    • Jun 13, 2004

Last edited by theressa; Dec 11, '14, 3:20 PM.
    Wants, original parts; thinking...
    It's the quiet ones you gotta watch!
    Custom suits, in time
    T_SUITS

Comment

• Boywonder0
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 29, 2007

^^^Listen to this lady... She knows her stuff...

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

I'd start simple. Start with the pants. The uniform needs pants. Pants are pretty easy to sew. There is a tutorial on this very website on how to sew pants. Once you get the hang of pants, you will probably have a better idea how to sew the shirt pattern.

Comment

• DarthMego
          • Jan 11, 2014

Hi all. Thanks @theressa, @Boywonder0 and @sprytel for your advice! I really appreciate it. I've tried my hand at making the jacket and the undershirt but had serious problems with the sleeves. I decided to do the pants (heeding @sprytel's advice and following @theressa's tips, thanks yet again!) and approach the tailor for the jacket and undershirt. The pants went swell. It turned out really good, I will post pictures soon.
          Bringing my remaining maroon cloth I went to the tailor. Now apparently (according to the tailor) I had brought all the wrong fabric, the maroon fabric being that of for ladies dresses (I chose it because it didnt 'crumple' when crumpled and it was light). He agreed to do the jacket, undershirt AND the pants using his materials for me, for a fairly reasonable price (i managed to bargain in the pair of pants after he quoted the project.)
          We'll see how it goes in a week's time!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎