X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_cyclops
    One eyed, wonder
    • Dec 17, 2009

Dyeing an original Mego head?

After reading my post in the Painting a vinyl head thread, PNGwynne suggested I dye the Batman head black.
    This idea appeals to me greatly. If it works, it will eliminate a lot of work that painting would involve.
    Has anyone advice on dyeing vinyl heads with Ritt dye?
  • Jeff1967
    Museum Patron
    • Jun 28, 2008

I tried using it but didn't have any luck with it. Hopefully someone has a way to use it better than I did.

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Automotive interior paint works the best. Not too many colours available though, and it's toxic 'til it cures. AND it soaks right in, so don't make a mistake.

Don C.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

For vinyl heads, I use vinyl automotive car-seat spray paint you can get at Walmart or Canadian Tire. If it's the base-coat I'll just spray it on in thin layers. Then for finer details, I spray it into a dixie cup and use a brush. Do this in a well ventilated area and wear a mask.

I also use Tamiya model paints that you would use for model kits, again for finer details. I haven't used the Tamiya spray point on vinyl heads yet, but I'd guess they would work as well since they were designed to adhere to softer plastics.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I've had good success dyeing vinyl GI Joe accessories & boots darker colors, I cannot see why this wouldn't work on a Mego head, esp. dying blue vinyl black.

Medium saucepan of boiling water, 2 tsp. salt. about 1 tbs. liquid black dye (I always try to use liquid dye), stir. Add head & stir continuously for a few minutes. It is better to dye longer that to use too much dye--it can only absorb so much. Remove, wash in soapy warm water.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 4, 2011

I have had fairly decent results using RIT dye and boiling water to dye a couple Dorothy heads. Got a pretty decent green and red as well. Good luck!

Comment

• zwischenstufe
              • Aug 8, 2011

When you dye the Dorthy heads, did it affect the hair much? Did you submerse the hair in the dye water as well or keep it out?

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                One eyed, wonder
                • Dec 17, 2009

Success! First time came out navy-blue. I believe this is because I didn't simmer it long enough in the pot. Second time I simmered it for a half hour, stirring often. For results, check out my thread "Italian Batman" on the Custom Works in Progress board.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by zwischenstufe
                  When you dye the Dorthy heads, did it affect the hair much? Did you submerse the hair in the dye water as well or keep it out?
                  I actually had already removed all the hair in order to re-root for Jade and Soranik Natu.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎