X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Something for 3D printers to play with

Open Source Action Figure with 70 pts of articulation, if anyone feels like printing this out at Mego scale.

female...
    I present to you a 3D printed female action figure / pose reference tool. I Learned a ton from the male 70 points of articulation action figure I made. This time I wanted balance and range of motion to be the key focus. Much research went into the type of joints on action figures vs what could be possible in a 3D print .http://thecollectionary.com/club/action-figures See image of the model balancing on one foot.It has a interchangeable hand system, Making this thing a very useful tool in the hands of an artist. (fact, teachers love puns)I included a large variation of hands to choose from that quickly mount into place using a PLA spike.If the breasts are too big I have included a smaller size. The whole character is set to classic heroine body type standards. 8 heads flat feet tall so don't be shocked when you get her printed out.. Just find a spear mount it in her hands and you have a amazon warrior for your desk or studio. Also included the blender file in case you want to develop for the model or make new hands

Last edited by samurainoir; Nov 12, '13, 7:39 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • supes
    For the love of Mego's!
    • Jan 19, 2004

Thats pretty freaking cool!!!

For the love of Mego's

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
      Persistent Member
      • Apr 28, 2013

He brings up some excellent ways to give joints better friction. We all may need that info. in the coming Mego era without rubber bands.

Here was a good story on a open source 3-D printer. Different in that he converts and uses sound files

A Saskatchewan man who has developed an affordable 3D printer has attracted worldwide attention and over $700,000 in crowdsourced funding.
      Last edited by Starroid Raiders Dagon; Nov 13, '13, 4:18 AM. Reason: adding

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

that's something I need at 18 inches.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• noelani72
          27inaleon
          • Jun 25, 2002

I've been following that for a while now and it's pretty darn cool.
          There's a couple things about this that are hidden gotchas -
          1) actually printing it
          2) actually building it

lol, ok, maybe those are vague so let me try to explain because this world is quite confusing and Thingiverse (however awesome is it) needs to figure out a way to segregate prints - segregate by material required (ABS vs PLA vs Etc..) and printer the file was designed for (Extrusion, OBjet, etc..).

The Dexter in that article was built using ABS on a MendleMax - which I think is an extrusion model like my MakerBot.

ABS can sand and chemicals such as acetone can really help fine tune products. PLA can barely sand, and chemicals don't work.

Printing Dexter is going to take quite a bit of time. I really wish he'd mentioned in the Instructions how much time he devoted.
          Let's just look at the top chest - the biggest portion that has the peck muscles, clavicle and shoulder tips.
          Without looking at the file real quick, assuming it is a front & back part which is 15% solid for strength, is gonna take about 3 hours on high res...maybe 2 hrs on medium res...low res ain't worth it.

Now print the rest of him, and for those who have a day job & family, you might be lucky to get him all printed out in about three weeks (assuming you only have one printer, Dexter's creator has at least three in his basement I read somewhere).

Then, as the process is not quite perfect yet, you have the chance of a failed part. Either it pulled off the build plate a bit, or it airprinted. Pulling off the build plate means your part is now warped - not ideal for ball joints and such as this figure has. Airprint means the extrusion nozzle clogged and you didn't catch it in time - so the machine ran for 3 hrs, yet only printed until it clogged.

Assuming everything goes your way - both time to do it and 100% print success, you then have the task of assembling this thing.
          If you watch his videos, he shows how he used acetone to melt out some of those ball joints for proper fit. Can't do that in PLA material.
          There are going to be times where you'd need to sand - he says you don't have to, but in my experience that is just not true...and PLA does not sand.

If I truly wanted to make a line of figures using this body, I'd either pay someone like Shapeways the hundreds of dollars it would take, or I'd print one, cast it, and clean-up the resin parts...then remold after fitting.

3D printing is just one of the coolest darn things to become somewhat affordable in the past few years...it's only gonna get better...but there is quite a bit to it right now.

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
            Persistent Member
            • Apr 28, 2013

Nice information, noelani72! I think I followed what you were saying You explained it well but I am just starting to get used to the terminology and materials involved. That would be a nightmare to print a part for a few hours and have it be a failed piece. I get enough of those just molding and casting regular parts!
            Really is a such a cool technology.

Comment

• luclin999
              Museum Patron
              • Oct 27, 2011

I think that I may download this and see how it prints from my Form 1.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎