X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cdhall
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 14, 2004

3D Print heads

I should just ask LaserMego when he'll have this set up.... (I've already checked his site).

Has anyone already done a 3D print for an 8" Mego Head?

Paul?

I don't know what the economics would be but I'd many requests for Trek Sideburn guys to fill out my crew. They wouldn't have to be stars or celebrities or real people even.

But more Trek guys would be nice.

I don't know if anyone has confirmed that a 3D Printer could do one with good detail. I'm assuming it can.
    —-
    “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Message, Spock?”
    - Admiral Kirk

"...surely, the best of times."
    - Captain Spock
    https://youtu.be/tOtKcJtahKQ
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

Legend of Link has been coming up with some great 3D printed heads and parts:
    Hey guys, Let's me start off by saying, this is not my custom. My friend has been coming over and she's been curious about my customizing hobby. She actually recognized its really cool and with that, she wanted to make a Mego for herself. This entire figure was made by her, with very little assistance by me. I'm very proud of
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• cdhall
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 14, 2004

Awesome!

AWESOME!
      Paul responded.

The head isn't very smooth was that a design or a feature of the 3D printer.

Are you going to add a 3D printer to LaserMego?

Do you have any idea what the raw cost would be to make one head not counting design and whatever you have to do to make the plans?

Originally posted by pmwasson
      Legend of Link has been coming up with some great 3D printed heads and parts:
      http://megomuseum.com/community/show...od-of-the-Wild
      —-
      - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• nobody
        banjo!
        • Jan 26, 2012

Chad and Shawns printer is down for the moment. They are the guys doing the cutting edge stuff here at the MM.

Comment

• noelani72
          27inaleon
          • Jun 25, 2002

see our progress thread and see some before & afters:

http://megomuseum.com/community/show...nlarged-a-head

Our printer is an extrusion-type (I really want an OBjet but no way can anyone other than a business afford one).
          I got the printer running again yesterday, but a new problem developed - so I get to take it apart again today but ought to be an easy one.
          They aren't perfect, but wow - the time saver (despite all our problems overcomed so far) of not pouring silicone and resin every single time we want something is incredible.

Comment

• nobody
            banjo!
            • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by noelani72

Our printer is an extrusion-type (I really want an OBjet but no way can anyone other than a business afford one).
            I got the printer running again yesterday, but a new problem developed - so I get to take it apart again today but ought to be an easy one.
            They aren't perfect, but wow - the time saver (despite all our problems overcomed so far) of not pouring silicone and resin every single time we want something is incredible.
            Just me, but I'd make my masters with the printer...sand and tweak then still pour after that.

Comment

• BlackKnight
              The DarkSide Customizer
              • Apr 16, 2005

I got Like 35 Generic Resin Heads.
              Many have Been Used to Build Red Shirts and Trek Crew Members.
              No 3-D Printing Required.
              ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• nobody
                banjo!
                • Jan 26, 2012

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                I got Like 35 Generic Resin Heads.
                Many have Been Used to Build Red Shirts and Trek Crew Members.
                No 3-D Printing Required.
                Got a good Kid Colt Outlaw?

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

probably
                  ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• nobody
                    banjo!
                    • Jan 26, 2012

I don't cut paypals for probably . Let's see some heads BK.

Comment

• noelani72
                      27inaleon
                      • Jun 25, 2002

Forget it, not worth it..
                      Last edited by noelani72; May 12, '13, 12:29 PM.

Comment

• cdhall
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 14, 2004

Originally posted by noelani72

Wow. This is awesome. Is there a master thread for the 3D printing? Maybe just for heads? Maybe we need a 3D Printer section with heads, accessories, body parts...?
                        I know I don't visit enough to keep it all straight like you all do but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.
                        —-
                        - Admiral Kirk

- Captain Spock

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by cdhall
                          Wow. This is awesome. Is there a master thread for the 3D printing? Maybe just for heads? Maybe we need a 3D Printer section with heads, accessories, body parts...?
                          I know I don't visit enough to keep it all straight like you all do but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.
                          that's a great idea.
                          I've planted seed with the mods that I'd love to help found a new library here of 3D files. We have folks coming here to download backer cards to make, costume patterns to download and make…the day will come where they'll come here and download a body or part to make figures.

Not sure if we are quite "there" yet where the mods would entertain having a dedicated sub-forum for all-things-3d-printed yet…it's really just Legend of Link, myself, lasermego and mikeoz who've made anything yet. If I missed someone, sorry!! ;-)

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

I just had a sneak peak at something the Gordys brewed up, and it's awesome. Perfect application for the 3D printer.

Great stuff fellas.

I just see it as another tool in the kit that can potentially make life much easier if you currently have the time and equipment and disposition to tinker. For me personally it's about rapid prototyping using the computer and 3D printer, to bring the idea to life quickly. Then I pull out the rubber and resin, which at this point in the process, is a quicker and cheaper option for me personally.

A couple of weeks ago though, I witnessed a resin printer that will be a HUGE game changer. Can't wait to show y'all the kinds of stuff we're cookin' up with it (likely Mego Meet... although I probably won't be able resist bringing a couple of things to Mego North in January).
                            Last edited by samurainoir; Nov 16, '13, 1:23 AM.
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• noelani72
                              27inaleon
                              • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by samurainoir
                              I just had a sneak peak at something the Gordys brewed up, and it's awesome. Perfect application for the 3D printer.

Great stuff fellas.

I just see it as another tool in the kit that can potentially make life much easier if you currently have the time and equipment and disposition to tinker. For me personally it's about rapid prototyping using the computer and 3D printer, to bring the idea to life quickly. Then I pull out the rubber and resin, which at this point in the process, is a quicker and cheaper option for me personally.

A couple of weeks ago though, I witnessed a resin printer that will be a HUGE game changer. Can't wait to show y'all the kinds of stuff we're cookin' up with it (likely Mego Meet... although I probably won't be able resist bringing a couple of things to Mego North in January).
                              Can't wait to see what is cooking Ed - When B PM'ed me, I couldn't believe how fast it got from me to Canada.
                              And I totally agree - the printers will evolve quick, and results will be fantastic.
                              Y'all can extend a huge THANK YOU to early-adopter folks like Sean and myself for the countless hours of cursing and swearing on extrusion printers that helped make it affordable

lol

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎