X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • piecemaker
    There's no need to fear..
    • Jan 26, 2009

Originally posted by Confessional
    I'm still learning too, but in most cases if you mix silicone properly and poured it carefully there shouldn't be any need for degassing... meaning what bubbles exist will naturally release. Lots of variables I know, but I was taught by someone who makes molds for things big and small, casts in a variety of materials and really has instilled quality control in my process.

That said, there's some good tips in this set-up that might be helpful: http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-build-...-for-degassing
    I dont really have a problem with how i'm doing it now.Most things turn out fine.I hoping this will help with some more intricate castings and i also want to cast some stuff in clear and translucent resins and want them to be as bubble-free as possible.

Comment

• piecemaker
      • Jan 26, 2009

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      I would:
      1.measure and degas both parts A and B
      2.mix and degas
      3.pour and degas
      That works best with the longer setting silicone. If it cures fast you don't have time for all the degassing. Silicone with a shore of 10 works best! The softer the better. I recommend dragon skin 10 from smooth-on.
      Thanks,i may have to try Dragon skin.I'm not sure the shore of the stuff i'm using right now,it will actually setup in about 3 hours.Thats the reason i liked it.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Ah! yeah, that makes sense... where even small internal bubbles can become a big issue, akin to casting in fine metals.

Comment

• piecemaker
          • Jan 26, 2009

Originally posted by Confessional
          Ah! yeah, that makes sense... where even small internal bubbles can become a big issue, akin to casting in fine metals.
          Yeah,internal bubbles are a bad thing.Another issue i've had is when sanding on some resin parts you expose internal bubbles making them external bubbles that you then have to deal with.I gotta go bubble-free! Thanks for your help.

Comment

• David Lee
            The Fix-it-up Chappie
            • Jun 10, 2002

Not trying to bust any bubbles (sorry I couldn't resist it...).

You can in fact pressurize your molds as you make them, no de-gassing needed... then using the same tank pressurize your cast... I am sure de-gasing your silicone is a great thing to do, never tried it, but it is not necessary to get perfect bubble free molds or casts...

Been doing it 13 years and I get flawless molds and casts... Now having said that, if you don't pressureize your molds when making them, you CANNOT, cast resin in them under pressure this will cause the resin to seek out surface weak spots (caused by air bubbles) and give your piece little round zits all over it...

Pressure tank is really all you need IMHO.

Dave
            Last edited by David Lee; Jan 20, '13, 3:05 PM. Reason: cause I can't spell or proofread to save my life

Comment

• piecemaker
              • Jan 26, 2009

Originally posted by David Lee
              Not trying to bust any bubbles (sorry I couldn't resist it...).

You can in fact pressurize your molds as you make them, no de-gassing needed... then using the same tank pressurize your cast... I am sure de-gasing your silicone is a great thing to do, never tried it, but it is not necessary to get perfect bubble free molds or casts...

Been doing it 13 years and I get flawless molds and casts... Now having said that, if you don't pressureize your molds when making them, you CANNOT, cast resin in them under pressure this will cause the resin to seek out surface weak spots (caused by air bubbles) and give your piece little round zits all over it...

Pressure tank is really all you need IMHO.

Dave
              Awesome,i will definately be trying this first before buying another vacuum pump.If i can accomplish the same thing with just a pressure pot,thats the way to go.Thanks.

Comment

• David Lee
                The Fix-it-up Chappie
                • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by piecemaker
                Awesome,i will definately be trying this first before buying another vacuum pump.If i can accomplish the same thing with just a pressure pot,thats the way to go.Thanks.
                Good silicone is also key, don't buy cheap crap...I have molds that are 8-10 years old, but they are made from good silicone. The two best in my opnion are Dow Corning V and Dragon Skin 10 from Smooth-on... I use the Dragon Skin 10 quick set (75 minute set time)... The Dow Corning is a better product for longevity but it's more expensive and takes longer to set up. Dragon Skin is cheaper, easier to get, and works great for one and two part molds.

-Dave

Comment

• piecemaker
                  • Jan 26, 2009

Originally posted by David Lee
                  Good silicone is also key, don't buy cheap crap...I have molds that are 8-10 years old, but they are made from good silicone. The two best in my opnion are Dow Corning V and Dragon Skin 10 from Smooth-on... I use the Dragon Skin 10 quick set (75 minute set time)... The Dow Corning is a better product for longevity but it's more expensive and takes longer to set up. Dragon Skin is cheaper, easier to get, and works great for one and two part molds.

-Dave
                  When i first started i was using the OOMOO stuff from Smooth-On.Then i switched to MicroMark One to One/Rapid.Dragon skin seems to be about 10.00 bucks cheaper than that.I know more expensive doesn't always translate to better.I'am going to try the Dragonskin,cheaper+better= win/win.Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎