• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timothy2251
    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
    • Mar 15, 2008

Need Some Customizing Help/Advice!!!!!

Hey Peeps!

Got a couple of projects in progress or on deck, and I could use some help here.

1) Ben did a terrific paint job on a Dr. Mego Hulk body that matches the original green Hulk body nicely. Using the same Krylon Fusion Spring Green paint, I've got two bodies almost done. Only problem is I need a sealer that resists scratching/chipping and will dry without stickiness (the limbs of the body are a bit tacky, due to the different plastic from the torso). Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated (I'm thinking I should've primed the bodies first, but hindsight's 20/20).

2) Looking for a classic looking Iron Man head, similar to the original Mego, but with no nose. Yeah, I COULD use a resin copy, sand down the nose, and so on, but I could swear I saw someone here had a resin head that nailed what I was looking for. Anyone have one for sale? (There was one for sale on the forums that I bought, but due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, the seller couldn't find it and kindly refunded my money. No blame at all for the seller - he's a good joe, and stuff happens).

Here's what I'm looking for:

31gkjHlf57L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Might have some more questions/requests for aid later, but if anyone can help me, feel free to post a response or PM me. Thanks in advance!
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."
  • dr_cyclops
    One eyed, wonder
    • Dec 17, 2009

The 'bit tacky' bothers me. This is the same thing that happens when enamel (oil-base paint) is used on soft PVC plastic. It starts off a bit tacky and never fully cures.
    The oil in the soft PVC prevents the paint from ever drying. Since you only mentioned the limbs and not the body, I'll assume the paint dried hard on the body. It would on a harder plastic like styrene. The same plastic used to make the chest and hips of DrMego bodies.
    Check your Krylon spray paint and see if it is acrylic or enamel.
    Always stick to acrylics in paints for softer plastic. Model kit-styrene is much harder and will allow enamels to dry. Softer plastics will not. Even worse is trying to clean off the enamel paint. Preping surfaces is important, but the wrong paint can kill a good project.

Comment

• Timothy2251
      • Mar 15, 2008

Heard that, Dr Cyclops. It doesn't say anywhere on the can that the paint was an enamel, and it did dry hard on the torso. I might take one of the bodies, spray it with acrylic primer, and try spraying the color over it again - the primer might do the job and allow the enamel paint to dry hard.

Also remembered another custom question I need help with:

3) I have an extra one of the Diamond Select Thing figures that I'm looking to customize:

61DakY7Bx2L.jpg

I want to cover up or remove all the rocky bits, smooth everything out. What's the best way to do this? Sanding? Magic Sculpt, then sand? Any advice would help!
      "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• dr_cyclops
        One eyed, wonder
        • Dec 17, 2009

[QUOTE=Timothy2251;955807]Also remembered another custom question I need help with:

3) I have an extra one of the Diamond Select Thing figures that I'm looking to customize:

61DakY7Bx2L.jpg
        Although I have no idea what you want to make from this figure, I recommend a course sanding starting in the cracks and deep spots. lightly over the surfaces. Brush Clean figure suface. Once dry and clean, go slow mixing tiny amounts of Magic Sculpt and filling the cracks. It gets difficult to see the desired surface over sanded mix material. Follow up filling and sanding will most likely be required throughout the project. just be sure to work the sanding down to a fine grade (220) for the final product. Course is great for preping surfaces for fusion, not good for finishing and painting.

Comment

• Timothy2251
          • Mar 15, 2008

Thanks! Just the advice I needed! You're the best, sir!

Comment

• dr_cyclops
            One eyed, wonder
            • Dec 17, 2009

Originally posted by Timothy2251
            Thanks! Just the advice I needed! You're the best, sir!
            Oh no, I'm not the best, I'm just trying to be helpful. The best, is being worthy of the MM. I just want to earn my stripes here. Thank you mods and admins for giving us the chance.
            Tim, let's be Mego buddies.

Comment

• Timothy2251
              • Mar 15, 2008

Works for me, Dr. Cyclops, sir! Buddies we shall be! To celebrate, chocolate milk for everyone!

chocolate-milk-thumb-520x517-609.jpeg

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎