X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LordMudd
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 22, 2011

Vinyl cape question.

I have several Remco Universal Monsters (4"), including Dracula, who originally came with a cape that was red on the inside and black on the outside. Mine is missing, but I have red and black vinyl and want to make a replacement. What would be the best way to laminate the 2 vinyls together?

CCC.
  • Megotu
    jerk
    • Dec 16, 2001

I might try the old hot nail method. Take a small finishing nail and affix it to a mechanical pencil body. Layer the red and black plastic vinyl. Make a cardboard stencil in the shape of the cape you want. Heat the nail in the flame of a candle. Trace the stencil shape.
    sigpic

Comment

• mikeoz
      Mego Maker
      • Mar 9, 2007

I made a Batgirl cape that was purple on the outside and yellow on the inside by applying Spraymount spray adhesive to one side of the purple vinyl and then sticking the yellow vinyl on top of it. It's still flexible and well adhered together after 3 or 4 years.
      Looking for:
      Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• LordMudd
        Persistent Member
        • Aug 22, 2011

I have not had good luck with spray adhesive. I have mounted cardstock on poster board with it and it falls off after a few weeks. Is there something about vinyl that is different that works better?

CCC.

Comment

• mikeoz
          Mego Maker
          • Mar 9, 2007

You could try the brand Scotch Super 77. The stuff is extremely sticky and strong. I sprayed some paper images on craft foam for my son and even with heavy play, they're still attached. I think Spraymount brand is also decent. You'd probably want to stay away from any repositionable adhesive.
          Looking for:
          Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• LordMudd
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 22, 2011

Thanks.

CCC.

Comment

• Megotu
              jerk
              • Dec 16, 2001

Just to muddy the waters further...krylon makes a fair spray paint that really holds well to plastic. Rough up the side that will be painted.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎