Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

It looks fantastic

How did you decide on the emblem?

Is that an actual comicbook design---or a simplified design
    to jive more with a "Mego look"?
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• grayhank
      That Fisher Price Guy
      • Feb 9, 2007

The emblem comes straight from here on the museum in the Custom Mego emblems section of the board. All I did was import the emblem into MS Word where I could enlarge it and adjust the color brightness. I then printed it out onto a T-Shirt Iron on transfer sheet and ironed it onto the yellow jumper. It's not quite how Firestorm's suit is supposed to look but in my mind I think that's similar to how Mego might have done it.

That suit is actually my 4th attempt. It's a very complex pattern to make because the white lines are supposed to go over his shoulders and around his back like a harness. I originally tried to paint the white lines but it looked too...well "home-made". The second attempt I tried to sew double fold sewing tape but could not get the lines to intersect in the right position properly (Plus the red circle needed to be very large in order for those white lines to intersect on top of it.)

So on the third attempt I did the T-shirt transfer thing, but unfortunately I had the iron setting too high and basically cooked the suit. You've got to be real careful when ironing these suits because they will melt. Always use a low setting and put the suit between two pieces of the iron-on transfer protective paper. Also it is recommended that you take a small piece of cardboard and put it inside the suit between the front and back. This will make the suit square and flat enough where you can eyeball where the emblem should go. The cardboard should be just big enough to keep your fabric sturdy and tight WITHOUT stretching it. It also prevents the suit snaps on the back from causing damage to the front (i.e. indent marks, color scorching, etc - TRUST ME ON THIS!)

So after the trial and error of the 3rd attempt I finally got it right on the 4th.
      Last edited by grayhank; Jan 6, '08, 8:53 AM.
      Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎