• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

How to add hair to an existing head?

Hey gang,

I'm looking for some expertise/guidance here....

I have a Dick Grayson head that I want to transform into GI Joe's bionic pal Mike Powers.

All I need to do is add some cool 70's hair. I have no idea where to begin, what to use, etc in order to mold some hair onto an existing mego head.

Help!
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home
  • jimsmegos
    Mego Dork
    • Nov 9, 2008

What I used to do was simply lop off the original hair around the hair line with an Xacto... build up the new hair with sculpy (you loose the squishy but not the look)... sculpt the new do... boil the head and sculpy to set it... paint it... seal it... display it and be proud.

Probably a crude method but that's what worked for me back then.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by jimsmegos
      What I used to do was simply lop off the original hair around the hair line with an Xacto... build up the new hair with sculpy (you loose the squishy but not the look)... sculpt the new do... boil the head and sculpy to set it... paint it... seal it... display it and be proud.

Probably a crude method but that's what worked for me back then.
      I gotta ask---why do you boil the head...?
      sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

I just use air-dry Apoxie. Best is to mix 1:1 and let it sit for at least 45 minutes before trying to sculpt with it because it's messy and will stick to fingers/tools without pre-wetting everything with water. If you let it cure by itself for awhile, it won't be sticky and will have a better body and it will support itself. When it's freshly mixed, it has a tendency to not hold the exact shape you sculpt it and it's frustrating.
        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• boss
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 18, 2003

The hot water causes the sculpy to harden as opposed to baking in the oven.

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
          I gotta ask---why do you boil the head...?
          Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• jimsmegos
            Mego Dork
            • Nov 9, 2008

Originally posted by boss
            The hot water causes the sculpy to harden as opposed to baking in the oven.
            yep. tried doing the hair dryer way but that always took longer than my patience could handle.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
              Stuck in a laundry shoot.
              • Oct 8, 2007

Dang, I'd hoped you had found a breakthrough for my own bald head.
              "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I've used epoxy putty as well. Epoxy tends to be more rigid than the vinyl they used for the heads, and it can come off but I've had good luck gluing the epoxy bits back on with superglue. Kinda like making costumes for real people.

If at all possible, I use resin recasts for customs. Much more durable in the end, and easier to work with.

Don C.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

I would want to work off of a resin cast as well, but if you really want to use the vinyl, I would want to find a way to make sure the head didn't squish and break up the sculpy hair. So I would suggest either filling it with resin or sculpy or something so it is more solid. I would also premount it on a body before I sculpted the hair because you run the risk of wrecking the addition trying to put it on a body later. Once it's on the body, you can still boil it. The less handling the better.
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                    Still Old School
                    • Feb 14, 2008

Thanks friends...all good advice.
                    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢