X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

question about decals for old model

figure this would be the best forum for such a thing, I have an old model kit that so far is painted with testor's enamel. If I apply decals (the old school type of wetting the decal and then applying it to the model), can I then spray on a sealer to protect the paint and kit, or would the sealer wreck the decals (I can see it drying them and making them come off the kit)?
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Do you mean Model Kit or Toy? I think there are certain spray sealers like Krylon Matte Finish you can spray on. There are probably others specifically made for model kits.

You might also try Micromark.com for such products and CultTVman.com for tips on decals and model kits. There's the main CultTVman site and a forum similar to the Mego Forums you can post on to get advice. That guy's place is a great source of info.

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

>If I apply decals (the old school type of wetting the decal and then applying it to the model), can I then spray on a sealer to protect the paint and kit,

Yes. Give them a while to dry first; at least a few hours.

>or would the sealer wreck the decals (I can see it drying them and making them come off the kit)?

PROBABLY not. Use something like the Testors spray; something fairly light. Testors gloss and matt sprays are both pretty good and readily available. Be warned: no matter what you do some of the old decals get brittle and chip over time. (Like, 10+ years; but it might be a concern.)

Don C.

Comment

• TrueDave
        Toy Maker
        • Jan 12, 2008

I've had decals go wonky under sealant. The clear part around the decals became yellowed and visable. But before spraying I might have been using that bottled application thats suppossed to make the clear decal part REALLY vanish.
        I also used to have problems about spray varnish cracking as it dries like a dry river bed. I think this was because I had used Flat spray THEN gloss or vice versa.
        I dont do so well with decals or sprays
        Last edited by TrueDave; Jun 14, '11, 4:06 PM.

Comment

• mazinz
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 2, 2007

Thank you for the info and replies. Before I do anything I am going to scan the decals so if I screw up something I still have them. Really I am now thinking of getting printable surface clear contact paper (or something like that) and turn those decals into nice new stickers (via the scan)
          "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎