Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

It's called a dental lab vibrator. I think it's a good investment.
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• TrueDave
      Toy Maker
      • Jan 12, 2008

I've gotten foamy bubbles when I try to use food dye in molds.

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
        Mighty Man/Monster Maker
        • Aug 14, 2007

Food dye? Interesting. I wonder if that's the water/moisture thing again. I need to spring for some new resin. Wife will be thrilled!

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
        https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>It's called a dental lab vibrator.

Well.... yeah; if you want to be all techincal.... Like I said, I got one of them novelty pens that works pretty good; and you can find all sorts of stuff with similar mechanisms if you look. The lab doohickey would be awesome if you find/can afford one, 'cos they usually have a little tray and/or strap hookup that'd work great with a mold.

>I've gotten foamy bubbles when I try to use food dye in molds.

Yeah.... any kind of moisture causes the resin to foam. If you want to dye the plastic you have to use special stuff. It's thick; like poster paint that's gone off, and you only want to use small amounts. REAL small amounts.

Don C.

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

Don, I just said dental lab vibrator because who knows what would come up when you type vibrator in your search. LOL!
            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• LonnieFisher
              Eloquent Member
              • Jan 19, 2008

I recommend using Smooth-On "So Strong" resin dye. It is great and it is really strong color. The paste kind takes longer to mix in and takes a lot compared to to the liquid. And you can use old resin if you have a pressure pot. I know leaving the resin open captures a lot of moisture. You have to pour and replace the cap quickly. Doing stuff like straining the chunks out also captures a lot of moisture. I live in Oregon so moisture is a great problem if you have open resin!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎