Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best material for authentic Mego costumes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DestroyArt
    • May 11, 2011

Best material for authentic Mego costumes?

Just wondering what material some of you more experienced customizers have found to be the closest to the vintage Mego outfits. I work at a screen printer and was playing with the idea of printing something up. Thanks!
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I use a lot of cheap t-shirts. It's pretty close, at least in look; a lot of stuff feels different up close. (Although that could be 'cos the authentic stuff is 30+ years old.) Check Goodwill, and places like that.

Don C.

Comment

• JediJaida
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 14, 2008

If you're looking to make tights, try going to the dollar store and picking up white knee highs.

The material is pretty similar to the stretch nylon that was used back in the day, plus it has elastic in it already.

Just be sure to use a stretch needle in the machine and water soluble stabilizer when you sew.
      JediJaida

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

I would ask Brian: Mego Talk

His stuff is pretty close to Mego's.
        sigpic

Comment

• DestroyArt
          • May 11, 2011

Thanks all! I was thinking white tshirts because that's what we print on here at work and I thought I could print a bunch on one tee... the white knee high tights sound interesting, I'll have to take a look and see if I can print on them!

Comment

• SeattleEd
            SynthoRes Transmigrator
            • Oct 24, 2007

Not sure if you checked but this may be pricey. Try the poly-cotton 50/50 blend t-shirts they sell at American Apparel. I was there this weekend and managed to see some nice colored Tees that would be ideal for making costumes. Of course, they are expensive but it is made in the USA.

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

I forgot to say use a stretch ballpoint needle, since you'll be sewing on knit material.

Why buy new t-shirts? Go to the thrift store, and buy 'em slightly used.

Take them home, wash them, dye them, cut them up and make stuff from them.

Especially if you get tees that are XXX-large. You get a LOT of material out of those! LOL!
              JediJaida

Comment

• MEGO_SUPERMAN
                Say No To Kryptonite!
                • May 9, 2011

Just check the fabric stores.....you may find something you like better than something that looks classic mego.
                Truth, Justice and Megos THAT is the American Way!

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan! - Ron Burgundy KVWN Channel 4 News Team

A picture is worth a thousand words. A Chuck Norris is worth 1 billion words. - Chuck Norris

You know what? I can already tell that I don't like you. And I'm probably not gonna like you no matter how many pull-ups or push-ups you do. All right, anybody who wants to pick on anybody in class, aim for him, 'cause I'm not watchin'. -Kenny Powers

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎