Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much is a Pressure Pot going to run me?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreenLantern9999
    GL of Mego Sector
    • Oct 8, 2007

How much is a Pressure Pot going to run me?

I am pretty new to casting, and my first offering didn't do as well as I was hoping it would, but I have to say I am in love with it! So eventually I want to make the good stuff so I am starting to look into it now. My question is how much is a pressure pot going to cost and where do I look for one? Are there any other good tips for removing bubbles from a cast?

Thanks

Patrick
    No body takes pot shots at Lubic! Good Journey
  • GreenLantern9999
    GL of Mego Sector
    • Oct 8, 2007

Also I know nothing about pressure pots aside from if I use one it will make a better Molding/Casting. So any other info would be super awesome. Thanks folks!
    No body takes pot shots at Lubic! Good Journey

Comment

• Rat King
      Banned
      • Apr 1, 2011

Yea I would like to know as well (Unless it's a big secret)

Comment

• David Lee
        The Fix-it-up Chappie
        • Jun 10, 2002

$80

Harbor Freight has em for about $80

You also need an air compressor...

You will need a plug for the paint port, and the secondary "T" valve. What you want is air pressure to build up, so you gotta plug up the escapes.

The pressure doesn't really de-gas the resin it just makes the bubbles tiny and come to the exposed surface (for a head this is the neck plug if cast upside down).

For most resins you only need 40-50 pounds of pressure until the resin gels...

The resin might stay soft (especially slow set resin) when cast under pressure, so give it a while outside the tank before you de-mold...

That should get ya started... no secrets here, just a lot of hard work, expense and personal experimentation.

-Dave
        Last edited by David Lee; May 22, '11, 5:23 PM.

Comment

• gaga4toyz
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 10, 2004

The only thing I'd add to the harbor freight pressure pot (been using one from there for the last 8 years) is a water separator(filter) if you don't have one on your compressor and a good air gauge. These pots sometimes have some weird threads on some of the fittings so you have to play with them a bit. You can email me for questions and pics if you need to. [email protected]

Comment

• David Lee
            The Fix-it-up Chappie
            • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by gaga4toyz
            The only thing I'd add to the harbor freight pressure pot (been using one from there for the last 8 years) is a water separator(filter) if you don't have one on your compressor and a good air gauge. These pots sometimes have some weird threads on some of the fittings so you have to play with them a bit. You can email me for questions and pics if you need to. [email protected]
            Jason is the expert IMHO...

-Dave

Comment

• TrueDave
              Toy Maker
              • Jan 12, 2008

How strong an air compressor/
              I didtched a testors one( junk) and a small shop one with a small tank.

I thought I was done with airbrushes.
              Should I regret that?

Comment

• David Lee
                The Fix-it-up Chappie
                • Jun 10, 2002

I use a little Craftsman 5 gallon tank A/C ($140)... the cool thing is they are good for all kinds of stuff... airing up tires, pool toys, pneumatic grinders etc...

-Dave

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎