• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JMC
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 3, 2004

Air Brush help

Hi,
    I am trying my hand at airbrushing but this starter kit may be the problem. My issue is that this dual action trigger seems to be splotching paint onto the test subjects. I have practiced controlling the air flow but there is no way to regulate the pressure on the compressor. Is there any suggestions for controlling the paint flow? Also, my other issue is mixing paints with water to airbrush paint quality. is there any formula to this?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • megojim
    Permanent Member
    • Oct 13, 2001

Depeding on what kind you have there should be multiple ways to control flow of paint and pressure. You say the compressor has no no valve adjustments? you can by a valve/regulator. If it has a needle you can put it as far in as poissible and then back it out. However that will give you a small out put. I thin with thinner, not water, it's much more consistant.
    There are many online tutorials on you tube that may answer some of these questions
    -jim
    My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I'm not a fan of the double action brushes; they're too fragile and too finicky. If you're using one you'll need to thin the paint more than normal, and you'll need to develop a steady hand. I've found them to be really sensitive. Getting a regulator for the compressor is a good idea, and practice using the lowest pressure you can.

Don C.

Comment

• babycyclops
        Career Member
        • Jul 9, 2010

Depending on what paints you are using, specific thinners for that brand, rather than water, may provide better results- for example, Tamiya acrylics work much better with Tamiya thinners, rather than metholated spirits or water.

Generally, thinner paint is better.

Comment

• megojim
          Permanent Member
          • Oct 13, 2001

You can't go wrong with Tamiya! That's all I will put through my air-brush.
          My Custom Figures

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!

Comment

• JMC
            Persistent Member
            • Feb 3, 2004

golden and luiqidtex was recommended with thinner. bTw, where can I find a regulator for the compressor? and what other type of airbrush is available?

Comment

• ctc
              Fear the monkeybat!
              • Aug 16, 2001

>golden and luiqidtex was recommended with thinner.

Liquitex is good. I used to use Createx, but I can't find it nay more. I thin with water; but I use a single action "brute force" kind of brush.

>where can I find a regulator for the compressor?

Art store, anywhere that sells airbrush stuff SHOULD have one. Alternately, you can see about getting an air tank. Fill it with your compressor and run the brush off that. Look for regulators in the 40 to 90 psi range.

>what other type of airbrush is available?

I use a Paasche H. Single action, insanely durable. Lots of folks consider it a beginner's brush, but there isn't too much you can't do with one.

Don C.

Comment

• megojim
                Permanent Member
                • Oct 13, 2001

don't care for Liquitex myself . . . Tamiya is top notch and will cover in one coat.
                I have a Badger Anthem dual action. Once you get used to it you enjoy the real time control it offers.
                As don said you can pick up the regulator at most places that sell airbrushes, maybe Hobbytown USA . . .certainly online
                My Custom Figures

Comment

• JMC
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 3, 2004

Does Tamiya sell airbrush paint or do you thin it out?

Comment

• johnmiic
                    Adrift
                    • Sep 6, 2002

I haven't tried it myself but Liquitex offers a few items that you might consider using instead of water. There's Airbrush Medium, Flow Aid and Matte Finish.

Liquitex Airbrush Medium - BLICK art materials

Liquitex Flow-Aid Fluid Additive - BLICK art materials

Liquitex Gloss and Matte Mediums - BLICK art materials

All of these items thin the paint and make it more fluid without diluting the color, or so I have heard. Also maybe you need a moisture trap for your air-brush?
                    Last edited by johnmiic; May 3, '11, 1:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎