X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueDave
    Toy Maker
    • Jan 12, 2008

What are the "Rules" of customizing ?

I just got a Flatt Dracula and started searching old threads and old arguments.

I want to know a bit before I stick my neck out as a customizer. What does it mean to be a 1/9 customizer? Is it compeditive? People buy completed figures made by other people? How much do these go for? What about the fact that these are not original characters?

I know there are no "real" rules but , you know what I mean. Some starting out advice.

Thanks All.

Dave.

• boynightwing
    That Carl Guy
    • Apr 24, 2002

I think the only big one I think of off the top of my head is that you don't make copies of somebody else's work. So if I made a head and was selling copies of it, those people buying the copies shouldn't be making more copies to sell for themselves...I think I just confused myself. Anyway, don't that and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

The compeditive nature of customizing and the fact that people may or may not sell work and what it may or may not go for seriously has nothing to do with customizing rules if people in general wish to follow something or are looking for guide lines. THat comes later.
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
        Stuck in a laundry shoot.
        • Oct 8, 2007

The first rule of the customizers club is "Never talk about the customizers."

Tip 1. - Learn from other peoples customs, ask lots of questions. The best teacher with customs is trial and error. You will get better over time and you probably won't be happy with your first custom. No matter how bad it is, keep it. They are fun to look at later on.

Tip 2 - It is rarely competitive except for some people, most of whom have moved on. Like the rest of the forum, many of us are friends who have never actually spoken to each other in person. That wasn't really a tip.

Tip 3 - Never recast another customizers work without their expressed permission or after massive alterations. It isn't illegal or anything, but it is generally frowned upon and your sources for parts have a tendency to mysteriously dry up. This has been the subject of much rather heated debate and is a question of ethics. I won't touch it beyond this.
        "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• TrueDave
          Toy Maker
          • Jan 12, 2008

Back in my Aurora days I thought it would be GREAT to go to a model show and see 100 different modelers all make the same kit to see how other people "solved" the same tiny challanges YOU did.

I just want to get more experience with my moldmaking, and these are omissons that were left out. Theres a lot of commercial heads I would like to see OTHER people make into great customs.

Since none of US sculpted MEGO, 70's Star Wars, JOE, Pulsar, Bionic Bigfoot ETC and the original artists were paid long ago so I feel comfortable with that.
          I would NEVER cast another artists parts. ( Ex: Jessica, Yokai John) And when I have my shrinks ready I will cite whatever company/person originally made it. ( or shrank it)

My hobby goal is to learn to make at home action figures 100% sculpted and cast on my own. But of my own personal characters ( Super Pilgrim, The Human Shield, Atomic Stud, Kung Fu Space Messiah, etc)

Right now The only licenced customs I plan on making are a Jeremy Brett Holmes as a gift for my wife and Flaming Carrot Candle to send to "My Pal" Bob Burden. ( obvious really!)

Thanks guys who have posted !!!!!!!!
          Last edited by TrueDave; Feb 9, '11, 1:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to say "thank You"

Comment

• jasonmego1277
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 9, 2008

I am not aware any " Rules " except there are things that you probably should never do. Honestly I Follow the following .

1. Give credit to those that help. Dont take credit for what you did not do.
            2. Respect others work , no bashing needed.
            3. Dont ever sell anothers work and pass it off as your own or as Boynightwing put it make copies of others hardwork to make money.

I have gotten Stuff from Mego73 ( Boxes) , Megowgsh ( Suits ) , Black Knight ( Painted Heads), and Dr Mego ( Parts ) and I always give credit for their hard work, as should
            In The " Real World " Vampires Do Not Sparkle. They Burn In the Sun !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131475...57650995605142

Comment

• megozilla13
              Persistent Member
              • May 10, 2002

There's alot of rules no one has mentioned.
              1) Don't take money upfront for a commission if your life is too complicated to deliver in a timely manner.
              2) Don't hit on another customizer's wife.
              3) Don't buy customs from an ex-diplomat from Nigeria.

mikej
              WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Cmonster
                Banned
                • Feb 6, 2010

We're all a bunch of pirates to a degree. Some more than others... I guess if you're making all original characters with all original parts that were made by you, or if you're not selling your work at all, you wouldn't fall into that category.

The customs mountain is quite the slippery slope in many aspects. Good luck to you in all your custom figure endeavors whatever they may be.

SC

Comment

• Type3Toys
                  Home Of The Type3 Body
                  • Jan 18, 2005

Only one comes to mind...

Trust No One.
                  LOOK
                  Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                  For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                  To Contact: [email protected]

Comment

• torgospizza
                    Theocrat of Pan Tang
                    • Aug 19, 2010

Originally posted by TrueDave
                    Since none of US sculpted MEGO, 70's Star Wars, JOE, Pulsar, Bionic Bigfoot ETC and the original artists were paid long ago so I feel comfortable with that.
                    One of the best Steve Austin 1/6 resin heads I see floating around (I even have one, myself) was made from what I'm guessing is a Maskatron "Steve" face mask. It's a good sculpt, and I see nothing wrong putting out a head based on it.

Comment

• SUP-Ronin
                      Stuck in a laundry shoot.
                      • Oct 8, 2007

Originally posted by jasonmego1277
                      I am not aware any " Rules " except there are things that you probably should never do. Honestly I Follow the following .

1. Give credit to those that help. Dont take credit for what you did not do.
                      2. Respect others work , no bashing needed.
                      3. Dont ever sell anothers work and pass it off as your own or as Boynightwing put it make copies of others hardwork to make money.

I have gotten Stuff from Mego73 ( Boxes) , Megowgsh ( Suits ) , Black Knight ( Painted Heads), and Dr Mego ( Parts ) and I always give credit for their hard work, as should
                      I agree with these but regarding #1 part one, there are some suppliers out there that would rather not have their names posted as a source. Just ask first and it shouldn't be a problem.
                      "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• TrueDave
                        Toy Maker
                        • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by BlackKnight
                        The compeditive nature of customizing and the fact that people may or may not sell work and what it may or may not go for seriously has nothing to do with customizing rules if people in general wish to follow something or are looking for guide lines. THat comes later.

I didnt know customizing was compeditive by nature.

Glad to have you tell me.

I want to know what people go for so in learning to mold and work with these new art materials so the byproduct of me learning can be enjoyed by someone isnt as interesting in Moldmaking and sculpting.

My guide/goal is to put something on this Earth that never existed before and
                        That's getting harder and harder to do.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎