X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C.H.O.A.M.
    learning all the time
    • Sep 15, 2010

mego scale furniture

what options are there for 1/9 scale furniture?
    I'm trying to put together a diorama for megos.
    It seems everything miniature is either dollhouse (too small) or barbie (too big)
    I'm making some stuff by hand but there's no way I can make a nice high back leather chair myself!
    I've tried etsy,ebay,google... very limited options for 1/9 scale.
  • SUP-Ronin
    Stuck in a laundry shoot.
    • Oct 8, 2007

I personally haven't seen much in exact scale, unless you DIY. Stop thinking like an adult. If you were a kid, the barbie stuff would be perfect, and your imagination would fill in the gaps.

RARE Lot Vintage Barbie Doll Furniture Stove Couch L@@K - eBay (item 330514291625 end time Jan-06-11 18:00:09 PST)
    "Steel-like jaws clacked away, each bite slashing flesh from my body - I used my knife and my hands, and when they were gone, my bloody stumps - and yet the turtles came."

Comment

• megoscott
      Founding Partner
      • Nov 17, 2006

It's really trial an error. You never know which Barbie or Bratz accessory will fit a Mego.

And then there's all this random stuff that people find. I have seen a lot of cool furniture in people's collections that they have no idea where it came from or what it is.

I always loved this red stuffed chair Jason deWitt found. No clue where it came from. http://www.wearesmall.com/CENSUS/html/71.html

I do have some furniture from my Mother's Ginny dolls from the 50s, believe it or not.

Laser Mego is making some nice stuff in a sci-fi vain, but for more sophisticated things like a high back leather chair...I dunnno...
      This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
        learning all the time
        • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by MegoRonin
        Stop thinking like an adult. If you were a kid, the barbie stuff would be perfect, and your imagination would fill in the gaps.
        My imagination is working fine. It's my eyes that notice things like scale!
        That barbie couch and chair is pretty cool though.

Megoscott- I've heard of bratz, never looked into it.
        It's too bad dollhouse scale is too small. There's some really terrific, detailed stuff out there.

Comment

• megoscott
          Founding Partner
          • Nov 17, 2006

It's a huge problem. If only those darn Breyer girls sat around the house and talked about horsies.
          This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Sandman9580
            Career Member
            • Feb 16, 2010

Huh, I always thought a lot of dollhouse stuff was in 1/9 scale. I never seriously looked into it (one of those little goals to be achieved when I had more disposable income), so it's disappointing then if that's not the case.

If there's one item in particular that you really need to have, like the chair, I wonder how economically feasible it would be to just commission a dollhouse furniture maker to make you one in the appropriate scale? I bought a few dollhouse magazines about a year ago for another project, and there were tons of craft ads in the back with some pretty stellar-looking stuff. Might be worth a try.

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

I'm sure with lots of time, and wood glue, balsa, and a sharp exacto, you can really make decent mego scale furniture. for cushions, you can sculpt it with clay and paint it up to look like leather. This is the kind of stuff I used to love to do as a kid---make furniture and stuff for my little rubber frogs.
              Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
              Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
              1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
              1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                MeGoing
                • May 14, 2003

^ Oh, that is so cute Jessica

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Check different craft and dollar stores. I've found all kinds of odd things there.

Don C.

Comment

• AAAAA
                    Permanent Member
                    • Oct 28, 2005

I got in mego scale
                    a fashion doll playset with a fireplace , La-z-boy chair and Bookcase and wall with a hidden compartment behind a picture.
                    the only bad thing is in Purple and pink!
                    Last edited by AAAAA; Jan 3, '11, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                      learning all the time
                      • Sep 15, 2010

sandman9580- yes, dollhouse scale is much smaller than mego although for some items you can get away with bigger or smaller

azrak- dritz chairs look great, but aren't the "look" I'm after.

I think I'm going to go (cheap) creative and make it all myself. I'm just about finished with a bookcase, I'll tackle the desk and chair next.

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

You can do it! This is 1:6 scale but it can also be done easily for 1:9. It's just balsa wood, which does not need anything other than a sharp exacto to cut it. Any wood glue would do. For the cushion, I bet you can just cut slabs of clay and stamp it with a leather grain pattern, and then paint them up. Before you know it, you have a work of art and it will fit your Mego. You'd be surprised at how strong balsa wood can be once it's glued together. I used to make model sailplanes and one time there was a mid-air collision--my plane received the least amount of damage. I felt really bad for the other plane.

Last edited by jessica; Jan 9, '11, 2:26 AM.

To do list:
                        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• MeerkatMego
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 7, 2007

Jessie you never cease to amaze me.
                          Meerkat Mego

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by MeerkatMego
                            Jessie you never cease to amaze me.
                            It's not my work!

I can do the same thing though. I get ideas from other places.

One day I'm going to make T'Pau's chair in Mego scale. If I can complete it, I will amaze myself.
                            Last edited by jessica; Jan 9, '11, 2:24 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• MeerkatMego
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 7, 2007

Amazing

Originally posted by jessica
                              It's not my work!

I can do the same thing though. I get ideas from other places.

One day I'm going to make T'Pau's chair in Mego scale. If I can complete it, I will amaze myself.
                              I just visited your blog and checked out the photo collection. You are amazing, girlfriend. I look forward to seeing T'Pau's chair one day.
                              Meerkat Mego

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎