X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Best brush-on primer?

I usually use spray-on Krylon for resin heads, but now it's too cold to spray it on outside and I don't want to spray it in the house... Can anyone recommend a good brush-on primer that has little (or no) smell to it?
  • BlackKnight
    The DarkSide Customizer
    • Apr 16, 2005

I don't use primer. I just wash my heads.
    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Brad
      Batman Fanatic
      • Aug 20, 2010

Maybe something like Testors or similar brands of primer used for building models. I have never used them for your application but I have used it on models when I was young and always had good results.

A hobby store may be able to help you select the right product.
      "Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron

Comment

• babycyclops
        Career Member
        • Jul 9, 2010

Old fashioned enamel hobby paints are perfect for undercoating. I use Humbrol, but Testors is probably more easily available in your part of the world.
        You can lessen smell problems by using odourless thinners, but enamels will always be a bit smellier than acrylics. The trade-off is that they are so much more durable and provide a much better 'tooth' for subsequent coats.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

I'm not a fan of the Testors stuff: it's kinda thick. If you're looking for brush-on stuff, I'd go outside, spray some of the canned primer into the cap, wait for the aerosol to settle, then bring it inside and brush it on.

Don C.

Comment

• Type3Toys
            Home Of The Type3 Body
            • Jan 18, 2005

All primer does is blunt out detail. Wash you part with warm water and dish soap to remove dust and oils, then paint it.
            LOOK
            Action Figure Design & Prototypes
            For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
            To Contact: [email protected]

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
              Career Member
              • May 14, 2007

^^ Only if you go heavy handed with the spraying. Lite coats people. Acrylic paint will stick to resin. But it will stick better if you prime it first. Even with gently handling of figures or parts, you can still chip/rub off the Acrylic paint that doesn't have a primer undercoat and a good topcoat of clear sealer like dullcoat. I always wash my resin parts with a good degreaser like dawn. Then wipe them down with rubbing alcohol. The dawn cleans the parts and the rubbing alcohol evporates any residue. A couple lite coats of primer. Then a base coat of flat white: Again, a lite coat. Paint desired colors. Final lite coat of clear sealer of dullcoat. Last a lifetime.
              Bob

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎