X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Kryptonite Kid
    Museum Gunslinger
    • Oct 15, 2007

spray painting Megos

Has anyone out there spray painted a Mego body with any success? If so, could you please give me a few pointers? Thanks
    -Will
    NO SIR, I DIDN'T SEE YOU PLAYING WITH YOUR DOLLS AGAIN.

My Blog MCKENZIE MCKUSTOMS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckustoms/

Flickr: CUSTOM MEGO SHOWCASE

MY GOOD TRADERS LIST
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

I have not, but there is a special spray paint you can buy at the Home Depot by Rustoleum called Plastic Paint. It is made to spray plastic outdoor furniture so it should adhere to a plastic Mego body. I used it to paint some plastic salad bowls which were displayed at Mego Meet as custom Trek Bridge playsets. Colors are limited, ( white, black, brown and a metal finish I think), but if it works you could paint a new color on top. I would avoid using enamel spray paints on action figures. Those are more useful for styrene model kits which are stiffer. I used a different color Satin Finish on top of the Plastic Paint and it seemed to work well. If you have some spare parts maybe test it out.
    Last edited by johnmiic; Jul 15, '10, 2:09 PM.

Comment

• MegoAddict
      Official Mego Sniffer
      • May 16, 2010

well, im a painter by trade, and i would suggest first getting a spray primer(white or grey)...spray it down from top to bottom..Then you can add any spray paint color,or product now as you have coated the plastic itslef with the primer...It will bond no problem, and you have a wide array of colors..Its one more step, but you can be much more creative...just my 2 cents lol
      I LIVE for the "attic smell" of Mego's!!!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

It'll scratch of real easy I think. Do you need the whole body colored or just some of the parts?

Comment

• MegoAddict
          Official Mego Sniffer
          • May 16, 2010

well one of the purposes of primer is to bond to glossy surfaces to then be painted for better bonding...So with that said, it should work..

Comment

• Cmonster
            Banned
            • Feb 6, 2010

Best to dye it instead of painting. Keep in mind, on some bodies, the limbs are made from a different plastic than the torso. The dye can affect each part differently, but in my experience, painting mego bodies hasn't really worked out all that well.

My 2

SC

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

I've used the Krylon version, but not on bodies. It can peel if it forms pools in certain areas. It doesn't feel sticky, but it certainly doesn't have Mego plastic feel anymore. IMO, you could make it work as long as its pure display. You'll also have to dismember and spray each piece or else it will pool in the appendage cracks.

Comment

• MegoAddict
                Official Mego Sniffer
                • May 16, 2010

yes very true...you have to paint all individual pieces, or else you will get tugging on paint, then it will peel.....
                But primering should be the way to do it..Than paint..To be totally safe even sanding the plastic down first(scuffing actually), well make the paint bond better..I have painted pretty much every surface out there, as this is my job(i won a painting business)....

Comment

• hedrap
                  Permanent Member
                  • Feb 10, 2009

Scuffing would help, but I can't imagine what it would do to the figure.

It sounds like someone who's a painter for occupation might want to do some testing...

That's a hint. As in, you're the pro. If anyone could make it work, it's going to be you.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

I've never seen paint stick to a Mego body well. I've been customizing for a long time...

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>I've never seen paint stick to a Mego body well.

Yeah, the "self oiling" plastics don't take any sort of paint so good. Primer, sealant or no. If you're using the figure for display Krylon stuff is good, or any kind of acrylic over primer. (I prefer auto body primer.) If it's gonna get played with the paint WILL scuff of.

Don C.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

I've tried LOTS of stuff and nothing works. But if it's just the torso needing color it could be cast that color. Or use a colored doc mego or cast-a-way body (if it is the right color)

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎