X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

painting boots

What is the best approach to painting boots? Is it the same for plastic compared to rubber? And just how good can I hope for it turning out (as compared to say, boots that are cast a certain color)?
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

I've painted boots before and as long as you use them for display purposes only it's all good, but if you're gonna play with that figure the paint will chip instantly
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• megowgsh
      Customego HoF Curator
      • Nov 19, 2003

When I paint boots I use an airbrush.

If the boots are white I just paint them the color I desire.

If the boots are not white I first paint them white and then paint them the color I desire.

Finish them off with a sealer and them a coat or 2 of dulcotte finish if you do not want them to be so shiny.
      Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Thanks, guys. I was worried about the paint chipping off.

I don't have an airbrush, unfortunately... and maybe this is a dumb question... but would spray paint work instead?

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

There's a spray paint meant specifically for plastic that works. IIRC, it's a Kryon brand. Has a nice, even latex quality.

Comment

• Trappy Trek Freak
            House of a thousand Megos
            • Aug 10, 2009

I need to paint the white Cheron boot black.
            Flickr: Trappy74's Photostream

Comment

• Dr.Mind
              • Jan 1, 2010

The Kryon spray is great. It makes a 'film' that engulfs the piece you paint, and it also adheres to a good amount of vinyls. Though, most everything you use on plastic WILL chip off with use. Why not re-cast? Have you ever tried ZUBBER? It's a sort of latex-play-do-goo directed to children. Easy to use, two-part compounds you can mold into a great variety of colors, and ends up being mostly as durable as regular soft pvc if you mix parts correctly... Go to a Sears, or TRU store. I believe they are very popular crafts and molding sets, so you should not have trouble finding a starters' set to do some testing.
              'That which makes us dream, sets us free...'

Comment

• Mindwarp1966
                • Jan 17, 2009

I use an emmery board on boots i need to paint see my ceaser mego i took mego pota boots and went from black to brown. it took 3 or 4 coats but they look great.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎