X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • almitysufx
    Persistent Member
    • May 27, 2004

Best way to cast hands????

I've been around for some time now and made many a custom. I have sculpted and cast oodles of heads and have even made a few attempts at hands and feet. I've not been able to figure out a good way to cast hands with fingers. I use Smooth-on supplies. Most of what I come up with are palms with stumps. It's discouraging. I know there are a few folks here who have a trick or two they may share. Any help please.
    Thanks
  • Cmonster
    Banned
    • Feb 6, 2010

Ed, you need to use what's called a SPRUE. It's a piece of plastic or brass tubing that is attached to the ends of each finger, that runs up to the surface of your mold. As you pour the material, they give it a place to go (into the fingertips) because air doesn't get trapped in there. I use styrene rod or brass tubing.

Just super glue one end to the tip of the finger and the other end to the board or whatever that your hand is attached to. Once your pour you rubber and the mold cures, remove the sprues with the original piece. Now when you pour your resin, each finger will be there.

I use them wherever I think air might get trapped in any small mold. It requires a little more TLC in removing the pieces from the mold and some clean up, but that's how I learned how to do it.

SC

Comment

• ctc
      Fear the monkeybat!
      • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Yeah. I run an air canal across the fingertips on mine. Hands are tricky....

Don C.

Comment

• JMC
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 3, 2004

Does anyone have a pic of this?

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎