X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bizzaro megomauler
    WANTED for card bending
    • Apr 26, 2008

megoesque? or 8 inch masterpiece?

I have to poll the crowd, when I cstomize a mego I try to use as many original mego parts as possible and try to have the figure fit in with the line. sometimes the figure looks perfect (I had someone swear my Kraven was an original mego) I am just trying to add to the line... some say it is cheap of me to go fringe, but I really try to incorporate mine into the art style of the line. If mego was to make say...Punisher I could totally see them using a Bruce wayne head with paint mods. My question however is this...

Do you prefer to work megoesque? or 8" masterpieces? no right or wrong I love the work of guys like Flatt, but they just don't say Mego to me...
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I actually like them both ways. Dig BK or Type3 as much as I love Leitner's type of stuff.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

I love both styles. I have several customs by Jason and John, but also by Brian.
      Even my own customs are done in both styles. I try to stay Megoesque, but with my Batman 1966 and classic monster line I also try to get the details right.
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

Persoanlly I've always took your approach of trying to do what mego would have done. My Rhino custom was simply a retro looking head on a Hulk body, wearing a gray jumpsuit. Some said it was a kitbash or very simple and I said thanks.

I too like my customs to stand next to a real meago and blend in.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

I do both. I started out going for the "Mego could have made it" look. But lately I've been moving into "more realistic" style...because People like BlackKnight have inspired me.
          sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

^ That freakin' Black Knight....
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
              Formerly known as Del
              • Dec 12, 2004

I like to keep my customs simple, as Megolike as possible. But I also like to make my own suits and stuff. A simple accessory that is readily available(either original or repro), I'll buy. But buying heads, suits, etc from others is generally a last resort. I like using resin copies of existing Mego or Mego-like heads to modify, but I'm working on doing more of my own sculpting. Yet for some reason, I usually don't like to use bodies that aren't part of the Mego-like family and I don't like to alter them too much. I take a few liberties with that when necessary, like giving the fat body I used for Ma Hunkel a matronly bosom, or sculpting new feet onto another character I'm working on.
              Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
              https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
              http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

I use to only like Mego looking customs - but then a few of the talented folks on here imploded my brain with awesomeness - so now I like both.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                  MeGoing
                  • May 14, 2003

I like both styles, but personally try to stick to the Mego look as much as possible.

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

I love both styles and a lot of peoples customs here. But for my own personal customs I go for mego-style with plastic boots and belts, etc.
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
                      WANTED for card bending
                      • Apr 26, 2008

Originally posted by The Bat
                      I do both. I started out going for the "Mego could have made it" look. But lately I've been moving into "more realistic" style...because People like BlackKnight have inspired me.
                      his toys are scarily awesome! I wowed at a few recent customs I have seen The 8" format kicks some serious boo-tay! I often wonder too how far along Mego would have come, changing the parts and so forth to meet requirements. Playability always seemed a staple in the old Mego fold too. I have just started my first custom 8" in a non megoesque style, but mego enough to call it "Retro Action"
                      Last edited by bizzaro megomauler; Mar 25, '10, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• JMC
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 3, 2004

I like both. When I started I did mego-like but then type 2, Flatt and a few of the older customizers pushed me to more realistic. I think I might try going retro mego again soon.

Comment

• Cmonster
                          Banned
                          • Feb 6, 2010

Great thread. I like both as well. It depends a lot on the figure for me. If it's something from that period, then I think a very mego-esque approach is best. My problem is, what usually winds up happening when I'm sculpting, is that I say to myself that I'm going to stop at a certain point and keep it mego, but then the perfectionist artist in me keeps going and going and detailing and detailing, until I wind up with a much more realistic looking piece... LOL

SC

Comment

• SeattleEd
                            SynthoRes Transmigrator
                            • Oct 24, 2007

I'd say both. Finding a middle ground with my own vision. I kinda view it as Neu Retro, old school with something different. Not how it should have been done but how I would personally like to see it but only for me.

Comment

• The Bat
                              Batman Fanatic
                              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                              ^ That freakin' Black Knight....
                              Yeah...he sure puts the pressure on the rest of us Customizers.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎