• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

mummy suit

So;

I still need to make a suit for my Haynted Glo-Head mummy; and wanted to do one that looked like ragged wrappings. (Like the one Mego knockoff figure... the AHI one maybe?) I've seen a few folks do similar outfits and was wondering if anyone's done them like a suit; or if they're all just wrapping their figure. And if they're a suit; how did you do it.

I've never seen any of the knockoffs up close, so I have no idea how they sewed the suits.

Don C.
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Wrapping the figure would probably be a lot easier. If you wanted to make a suit you'd need to sew a bunch of rags together first, then cut out the pattern and sew that together. And since you'd need a whole lotta small strips of fabric you'd be in for a loooooooong sewing session

Just take small, long strips of fabric and wrap them around your figure. Not too tight so you don't hinder the articulation and a drop of glue here and there (on the fabric, not the figure) to keep it all in place and you're set.

I wrapped the arms and legs of a female figure like that for a Bride of Frankenstein custom. Since I only did the arms and legs I tucked the ends of the fabric inside the body at the shoulders and hips. With the arms and legs tightly in their joints they keep the fabric in place
    Last edited by Meule; Sep 13, '07, 3:17 AM.
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• mego70
      • Jul 4, 2007

I suppose another idea would be to glue some thin fabric strips on to a Doc Mego bodysuit. He does them in white, brown and grey so they'd probably make a good base colour.

Years ago when I made a mummy, I used you that really thin bandage you can get, it worked quite well.

Comment

• batmanmc
        mego batman collector
        • Jun 22, 2004

Originally posted by mego70
        I suppose another idea would be to glue some thin fabric strips on to a Doc Mego bodysuit. He does them in white, brown and grey so they'd probably make a good base colour.

Years ago when I made a mummy, I used you that really thin bandage you can get, it worked quite well.
        thats a great idea mego.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

I'd wrap the figure in a light color lycra, to give it some stretch when you are playing with him. you could play around with dyes to get the right color of dingy wrappings that you want.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 28, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
            I'd wrap the figure in a light color lycra, to give it some stretch when you are playing with him. you could play around with dyes to get the right color of dingy wrappings that you want.
            So....hmmmmmm

I like this idea. I would wrap a little then sew little and repeat until complete. Next I'd use some dry brushing techniques on the lycra wraps using inks like tbolt suggested to achieve that old bandage look. I think you'd find it rather effective but you'd have to be careful to really make sure you were dry brushing with the ink and not wet brushing because it would run all through the fabric and ruin the effect. When complete you have an awesome dirty looking ole mummy that is just as articulated as all your other megos

Comment

• YANOULI
              Part-Time Timelord
              • Jan 9, 2006

Originally posted by Blackkryptonite
              So....hmmmmmm

I like this idea. I would wrap a little then sew little and repeat until complete. Next I'd use some dry brushing techniques on the lycra wraps using inks like tbolt suggested to achieve that old bandage look. I think you'd find it rather effective but you'd have to be careful to really make sure you were dry brushing with the ink and not wet brushing because it would run all through the fabric and ruin the effect. When complete you have an awesome dirty looking ole mummy that is just as articulated as all your other megos
              you could just use some tea or coffee to get that old stained look.
              " But you can't kill me, i'm a Genius "

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

I don't think I'd even sew it, maybe use some liquid stitch at joints where something would be exposed. Or, even better, wrap a CTVT skeleton so if something shows, it would be a creepy old skeleton!
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mego70
                  • Jul 4, 2007

Good idea Thunderbolt, I like it.

I suppose another option would to actually use one of the Doc's white bodies, then if there's any gaps it would only show through as white.

A technique for getting the stains right is to 'dry brush' the outfit. Whereby you get a bit of paint on a dry brush, wipe most of the paint off and then just flick the brush lightly over the fabric so you get a faint, stained looks on the edges.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎