X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by zeedox
    This will be better than Captain Action, since I know each figure will be tooled to actually work.
    The only Captain Action figure that works for me is Thor, well I didn't buy Iron Man. Spiderman and
    Captain America's arms keep falling off that is no fun.

Only thing I would say is release these two at a time. Spiderman by himself will be a tease.
    I actually just started playing with the latest Captain Action line. I had a few CA bodies in anticipation of the DC License (which I will believe when I see now), and with nothing to show, I tried a Thor costume and he was better than I expected. With TRU clearancing the CA and Dr. Evil figures for $11.99 (now $9.99), I decided to grab more bodies and more costumes, when the price was right. Loki was a better fit that Thor was and I hope try give Iron Man and Wolverine a try tonight. Round 2 supposedly improved the masks after the bobblehead Cap and Spider-Man masks.

I guess it got me wondering how Round 2 Corp was able to snag the Marvel license for Captain Action and sell the basic costumes at mass retail for $20 and deluxe costumes for $30 (IIRC the original price on them) to be used on their 12-inch figures, a scale that Hasbro has produced in the past. I am pretty sure the license was acquired after the Disney purchase of Marvel and that Hasbro already had the license. If they sold the license to Round 2 Corp, which is not a large company, why hold EMCE and DST hostage at an $80 price point? Especially since they are specialty market?

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
      Might have been a better idea to introduce Thor or Iron Man with that price point. When you can get a minty vintage Mego Spidey and nice repro box for far less than the replica, it really makes it hard to justify the coin.
      You can't get a minty vintage circle suit Spidey for less than $80.

Comment

• megocrazy
        Museum Trouble Maker
        • Feb 18, 2007

All of the major complaints here are directly shot at the conditions of the license. The price, the lack of 3 bodies, everything for the most part made it an all or nothing deal. It is what it is and you can either go with it or pass on it. It was simply the only way it was gonna happen. As far as the questions on quality, I would say compare the figures that EMCE had control on and look at what was released. Monsters, Trek, BBP's offerings, etc. There's really not any history to question that prior to the figures release. You can not use the Mattel offerings as a reference. They are 2 completely different situations. No offering is going to please 100% of the market. It just doesn't happen. Some may not like sculpts, some may not like the uniform choice, etc. Either way the Marvels are coming and thanks to Emce and DST for making it happen.
        It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
          Invincible Ironing Man
          • Feb 28, 2008

Interesting detail, is that most people here seem to be interested in Parker and Circle Suit, and that the one with all the extras doesn't get so much love.
          I guess most of us are still old school.
          Personally, if the release were a Circle Suit in a repro Mego box, I'd pay $35-40 and be happy with that.
          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Boywonder0
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 29, 2007

I have seen others asking this but no questions yet... What kind of body would this figure use? DST's ZICA or DST's new Dr. Mego rubberbandless body? When are we getting some pictures of the body? Been have been spilled...

Comment

• ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
              • Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by enyawd72
              You can't get a minty vintage circle suit Spidey for less than $80.
              I know I meant a minty regular Spidey. I was never a fan of the circle suit Spidey.

Comment

• nobody
                banjo!
                • Jan 26, 2012

I hope Paul gives out Peter Parker head key chains at the meet!

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

The funny thing is I think if this set had included bodies for the other two figures that it would have been a much easier sell at $90. I also think it would have made Peter Parker much more appealing to be on a figure. Ah well.

Comment

• MEMEGO
                    Career Member
                    • Sep 6, 2007

I agree with your statement 100%, thing is, if they sell, the price will keep going up, making us the victiums of corporate rip off, these figures. I for one am tired of being riped off my marvel and other companies who dont have any regards for us, they just want a fast buck.
                    i praise DC for keeping thier comic line at $2.99 for so many yrs, since, they can do it, this means that marvel can do it as well, but they choice not to and continue the price increase. SAD.
                    Originally posted by SpaceAgent
                    Glad this is happening. It's overdue.

But not glad about the price --it's outrageous. If the licensor said that's what the price had to be, they're wrong. Sorry guys, I love the idea, but the price is way, way out of line.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Everytime a body hasn't been up to snuff, what's the consensus? Replace it with one from CAW, Zica or Doc.

Look at RA. I paid anywhere from 17-10 and replaced every body with T2 originals because CAW had gone into hiatus. The only reason my price-point varied greatly was because the line was handle so badly. When averaged out, I still paid around 15 for a great roto head and outfit.

The MSRP is 80. It's value, considering all the pieces, is probably closer to 60. Amok already has it listed at 70. Someone will undercut that price and whoever gets the closest to 60 will end up with the most orders. There are one or two guys on Ebay that I could see lowering the boom to 50+ shipping.

I think this is great because it's going to create ancillary business for Doc and CAWZica. We're going to see through testing which bodies hold the FTC and EMCE designs best. I mean, the posability of the new CAW, and that Spidey outfit could be killer. All of this is creating a sustainable community and what we have to hope for is FTC plows ahead as they've promised because we need that flood of unique character product to attract new buyers. If that holds, then Doc and DST can show Marvel that a high price is an unnecessary barrier.

Comment

• almitysufx
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 27, 2004

I think what Paul & Joe came up with to try to justify the $80 price that Marvel attached as a condition of the deal is about all anyone could ask. I'm sure they spent plenty of time tossing back and forth ideas on how to make a $25-30 figure worth the $80 required minimum retail price. Keep in mind that there is a price attached to each new thing they add to a set. They have 3 complete suits, 3 roto-cast heads, new hands, a set of boots, the web shooter and web cartridge belt and so on. It's not the way a bunch of folks here would have liked to have seen Marvel re-megos get released, I'll bet anything that Paul and Joe would rather have released a simple reproduction comparable to what FTC is doing but with Doc Mego quality, but it was the only option on the table, that or not having them done at all.
                        I would also have to guess that since this is a property of Marvel we probably will not see Doc offering Peter Parker heads, Circle suits or anything from any of these sets for sale separately on his site.

Comment

• TRDouble
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by ThePlayerOnTheOtherSide
                          I know I meant a minty regular Spidey. I was never a fan of the circle suit Spidey.
                          Me either, unfortunately. I had the regular suit as a kid and that's always been "my" Mego Spider-Man!

The other downside for me is that I like to collect and build groups, for the most part, so I don't think these are for me. Even with the extra outfits, it the same character, or variation of that character.

But while I do not see myself getting the Spidey set, I am still curious to see how the others turn out. For Marvel Megos, as a kid I only had Spider-Man, The Falcon and Iron Man, but always wanted Thor and a Captain America to go with The Falcon.

UPDATE: Big Bad Toy Store now has the set for pre-order @ $69.99
                          Last edited by TRDouble; Apr 23, '14, 4:41 PM.

Comment

• Feb 27, 2014

Originally posted by TRDouble
                            Me either, unfortunately. I had the regular suit as a kid and that's always been "my" Mego Spider-Man!

The other downside for me is that I like to collect and build groups, for the most part, so I don't think these are for me. Even with the extra outfits, it the same character, or variation of that character.

But while I do not see myself getting the Spidey set, I am still curious to see how the others turn out. For Marvel Megos, as a kid I only had Spider-Man, The Falcon and Iron Man, but always wanted Thor and a Captain America to go with The Falcon.

UPDATE: Big Bad Toy Store now has the set for pre-order @ $69.99
                            Agree completely, MY Spidey didn't have circle suit either. I didn't know such a variant existed until I found this site.

I won't be in for Spidey but if they do Thor and Iron Man I'll wait and see what the package looks like, I might be in for those.

Comment

• melkorjunior
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Apr 20, 2014

Originally posted by TRDouble
                              For Marvel Megos, as a kid I only had Spider-Man, The Falcon and Iron Man...
                              No Hulk?
                              That's just crazy talk.

Comment

• TRDouble
                                Permanent Member
                                • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by melkorjunior
                                No Hulk?
                                That's just crazy talk.
                                LOL! I am lucky I had any Megos at all. My father was a WWII vet and he thought they were dolls. My mother had to intervene for me to have any Megos, The Six Million Dollar Man, Bullet-Man, etc. I found all this out when I was an adult, MANY years later!

That said, if they do The Falcon (which I highly doubt), I would pick that up in a heartbeat. It's not quite my Marvel version of The Teen Titans (since I had The Falcon and never owned the Teen Titans), but it's one I would love to own again, so to speak (since it would be a repro )

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎