X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Relic
    Banned
    • Jun 24, 2012

retro to vintage head swap

I picked up a loose retro Green Arrow and thought it would be cool to swap out his retro head with a vintage head that I have. After nearly 30 minutes now, I have the head off but the plug has broken off in the neck. I have tried screw drivers, plyers etc to get this plug out but no luck yet. Gonna resort to a drill if nothing else works. Why is this so hard to remove. I have beater vintage Megos and the heads pop in and out in 2 seconds. Was this a design flaw, can the plug be removed more easily? HELP
  • Mego Magyar
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

I've had great success removing Retro heads but you have to be careful and patient. Using the boil and pop method heat up the head, bend it to the side and using a fine screwdriver like ones used to tighten screws in eyeglass slip it under the lip on the neck hole and start slowly prying and the ridge of the head inside the body. I have to dip into the hot water a few time before the glue that is holding the head to the plastic peg inside dissolves and then the head should come out fairly easy, you will damage the bottom ridge on the head a bit but it goes inside the body anyway so if you reuse it it won't show.

Try dipping the remaining part into VERY hot water and then try again to pry it out. I once broke off the plug of a Retro Aquaman and was able ti get it out using this method.
    Last edited by Mego Magyar; Sep 17, '13, 7:52 PM.

Comment

• Relic
      Banned
      • Jun 24, 2012

Thanks for the tip, I will use this method when I try it with another one. For tonite I just used brute force and persuaded it out. It kinda damaged the neck area on the body and the retro head is toast. Oh well at least it was not an expensive mistake. The vintage Green Arrow head is actually much better than the retro one that was replaced. Funny how a 40 + year old design looks so much better.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎