• Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

I'm taking a Mountain Dew!

BEHOLD!

One of the bestest Mego playsets EVER!:

Well.... okay; there's more to it than just that. It's a geomorphic dungeon tile, that you can hook together and make dungeons!:

Or, classic Dr Who sets; depending on how you paint them. I was thinking of a stone pattern on one side, a high-tech corridor on the other. (Perfect for Mego 8" scale games of Spacehulk.)

"Wait! I hear something! Huzzah!"

"It's a 30' by 30' room.... with an orc and a treasure chest! Quick! Kill the orc!!!! Take the gold!!!!!"

Originally I was gonna make this out of cardboard; but reinforcing it enough to be played with resulted in parts that took up a LOT of room. This one collapses for easy storage:

One of the local hardware stores had a sale on scrap wood. When I got there I found this stuff: it's really solid, heavy, and saw resistant. (While cutting it the circular saw was sparking.) It still needs a few tweaks, but it works and can replicate all the neccessary D&D dungeon fictures; like stairs, dead ends, doors.... eventually pits. The holes in the middle are for accessories, like torch holders or support beams.

Don C.
  • GaryPlaysWithDolls
    Mighty Man/Monster Maker
    • Aug 14, 2007

AWESOME! I love wood stuff!

THE BLUE BLAAAAAADE!

Dude, the orc is my favorite!

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
    https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

That's fantastic DOn.

As someone who has downed immeasurable amounts of Mt. Dew and Doritos during gaming campaigns I truly appreciate this. THe stone spray paint works pretty well but only if you prime the wood first with flat grey.

I'd like to see some more adventures of these guys. That was fun.

Scott
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Fun stuff, glad the Blue Blade found something to do while waiting for the Twelve to finish up.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>THe stone spray paint works pretty well but only if you prime the wood first with flat grey.

That's an idea. I'm kinda worried about spraying this stuff: it's INSANELY resilient and impermeable. It's some kinda composite wood, made from super-compressed sawdust and iron filings or somesuch. (Hence the sparks whenever we tried cutting it.) I was gonna cut irregular blocks and stone shapes from various materials, glue 'em on and spray; like I did with the cardboard ones. So it'll look like stone. I want to use it for a few games first, to see if it needs tweaking.

>the orc is my favorite

He's currently my generic one. I have a team of them, and every now and then I add one. They're a sort of generic AD&D/Warhammer design. I'm planning on a team of 40K ones soon.

Don C.

Comment

• Blackkryptonite
            Persistent Member
            • Jun 28, 2006

Very cool Don! Endless possibilities with this new sparking wood you have

Comment

• GaryPlaysWithDolls
              Mighty Man/Monster Maker
              • Aug 14, 2007

You might check out your local hardware store's linoleum section. A lot of times they give away samples of stone-like design linoleum. I took a bunch of them for a project. hell, you might even buy some. Pretty cool, easy to cut.

Mina is the world's first Paranormal Petsitter in the new middle-grade book series by Gary Buettner, MONSTER PETS, coming in FALL 2014 from EMBY KIDS. Spooky adventure that's perfect reading for kids 8-12
              https://www.facebook.com/monsterpetsbooks?ref=hl

Comment

• Cosmicman
                Permanent Member
                • Jul 12, 2005

That's cool. When I was a kid I made a cool looking Hall of Justice out of cardboard boxes that I did this to and then I painted the walls and added tons of furniture I stole from my sister's Barbie Townhouse.
                It really didn't look that bad but of course you know how well cardboard holds up against time!

When I get some more room I have some playset ideas I was thinking about constructing like this using the plastic sheets you get at Staples to put printed pictures inside.

Nice idea all the way around!!! Keep it going!
                More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>you know how well cardboard holds up against time!

Yeah. Although you CAN make really durable stuff with corrugated cardboard. It takes a lot of planning though. Supercity's been up for a little more than a decade. (If you check out the second pic, that thing in the upper right corner is the frame for the M-113 I'm building.)

....and before I forget; just in case you don't get the Mountain Dew refrences:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zng5kRle4FA

The routine this was made from is pretty old: I remember hearing it on Dr Demento way back in the mid 80's.

Don C.

Comment

• johnmiic
                    Adrift
                    • Sep 6, 2002

Not sure you can use this but I've seen a lot of Marbelized contact paper in hardware stores. Maybe get stone patterns and just apply to your segments. Add a different pattern to the outside wall if you can reverse the wall and get double use from it.

DC Fix Contact Paper - Marble, Brick Stone Group

Tuscan Stone Contact Paper

Comment

• Tothiro
                      Kitten Mittens
                      • Aug 28, 2008

Originally posted by ctc
                      It's some kinda composite wood, made from super-compressed sawdust and iron filings or somesuch. (Hence the sparks whenever we tried cutting it.)
                      If you want to look for more it's called MDF for Medium Density Fibreboard... The sparks are probably bits of sawdust lighting up from the heat coming off of the glue resin as it's cut.

Comment

• TrueDave
                        Toy Maker
                        • Jan 12, 2008

Love the Dr Who corridor comment.
                        great idea. Looks heavy though.

Comment

• QDOGG
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jan 13, 2007

Thats pretty cool Don

Comment