Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Thread: Question for the purists

Question for the purists

If you had an all original rare Mego figure, which displayed lovely, in a box, would you Re-string the figure, if original elastic was loose? (it only affects the figure standing up) Also, would this have an impact on it's value, as would no longer be all original?
    Or is it best just to leave as it is, as having to restring would also mean removing the head.

Images
    IMHO that depends on your priorities and what ultimately makes you happy.

Personally, I don't use repro stuff for my vintage figures BUT... I would not have an issue with a figure being restrung for display purposes. I think that is partly due to the fact I am not as concerned with value. I would be lying to say I don't think about it given what I've spent on these bits of plastic, but other motivations are more more important for me. Having a nice display is important. And I'm not sure a new elastic string bothers me that much in terms of new parts.

I do think it would SLIGHTLY affect value, but probably not much and only if you were selling to someone with all-original priorities.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Images
    Hmmm. I think if you are displaying it in the box then leave it alone.

Thanks guys. Great answers.
    As in a box, will leave alone, as wish to keep it as "all original as possible".Probably best not to tamper with it.
    Thanks for replies though. Very informative.

If it gets restrung it is a repair job that will seriously affect the price. Restored toys lose a lot of value.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I would leave it alone. As time wears on, original elastic will become more and more rare - even loose.

I have cheated the loostening on some figures by adding a turn to the torso to snug things up. This requires undressing and redressing the figure if it's wearing a one piece suit like Batman, Spider-man, etc.

"I have cheated the loosening on some figures by adding a turn to the torso to snug things up. This requires undressing and redressing the figure if it's wearing a one-piece suit like Batman, Spider-man, etc. "

A good tip to bear in mind.

Thanks again

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EMCE Hammer View Post
    I have cheated the loostening on some figures by adding a turn to the torso to snug things up. This requires undressing and redressing the figure if it's wearing a one piece suit like Batman, Spider-man, etc.
    That was the solution I stumbled onto as a kid when mine would start getting loose-limbed and wobbly from age and play.
    Last edited by knight errant00; May 5, '21 at 9:21 AM.