Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• palitoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    I was wondering about that. Toy Guru put up a video about this, but despite the fact he was once the brand manager of MOTU, his cut and paste videos often leave me wondering if he REALLY knows what he's talking about, 100%. I enjoy some of them, but it seems like his "industry insider" angle only goes so far. For instance, in this video he shows a Biff! Bang! Pow! SMDM Fembot in among the classic Kenner line.

He knows his stuff in many respects but he recently did a Big Jim video (where he wholesale used my stuff) and it was SO WRONG, I wish he had read the words I had written when he was nicking the pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Earth 2 Chris
    replied
    I would take that with a grain of salt. As I understand it Mattel sold the entertainment rights. Not the IP. Universal owns the entertainment rights and the Filmation rights through Dreamworks. Mattel still owns the IP and has very recently renewed the trademarks. Including the trademarks to Princess of Power.
    I was wondering about that. Toy Guru put up a video about this, but despite the fact he was once the brand manager of MOTU, his cut and paste videos often leave me wondering if he REALLY knows what he's talking about, 100%. I enjoy some of them, but it seems like his "industry insider" angle only goes so far. For instance, in this video he shows a Biff! Bang! Pow! SMDM Fembot in among the classic Kenner line.

Leave a comment:

• toyhunter1970
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikey
    IMO, if Big Jim is released without his classic body he'll be a total flop
    agreed

Leave a comment:

• Werewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by thatblockoguy
    Right now Universal owns the rights to MOTU and Mattel has the right of first refusal to make action figures until 2023 when that agreement ends. After that Universal can shop around.
    I would take that with a grain of salt. As I understand it Mattel sold the entertainment rights. Not the IP. Universal owns the entertainment rights and the Filmation rights through Dreamworks. Mattel still owns the IP and has very recently renewed the trademarks. Including the trademarks to Princess of Power.

Leave a comment:

• thatblockoguy
    replied
    Mattel probably sees this as a necessary move. Right now Universal owns the rights to MOTU and Mattel has the right of first refusal to make action figures until 2023 when that agreement ends. After that Universal can shop around. Smart move to try and revive interest in these lines. Hope they succeed

Leave a comment:

• Werewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by PNGwynne
    Some of the Big Jim accessories were recycled for decades for Ken & Barbie, as well.
    And Big Jim had lots of Barbie hand me downs. Mattel was never one to waste a good mold.

Leave a comment:

• PNGwynne
    replied
    Originally posted by MIB41
    I think you're right. Its even there on He-Man. I didn't realize how much Big Jim DNA moved forward into other toy lines here at home. It seems Mattel recycled allot of the Big Jim ideas to new toy lines.
    I agree, with face-changing and other features. Some of the Big Jim accessories were recycled for decades for Ken & Barbie, as well.

Leave a comment:

• sprytel
    replied
    I forgot about Captain Power, interesting.
    I actually could imagine Mattel and Netflix rebooting Captain Power, with some sort of interactivity akin to the Bandersnatch episode of Black Mirror. Both the toys and the show were ahead of their time.

Leave a comment:

• MIB41
    replied
    MIB, I was thinking these, and more, were done by Mattel's master sculptor Aldo Favilli.
    I think you're right. Its even there on He-Man. I didn't realize how much Big Jim DNA moved forward into other toy lines here at home. It seems Mattel recycled allot of the Big Jim ideas to new toy lines.

Leave a comment:

• PNGwynne
    replied
    MIB, I was thinking these, and more, were done by Mattel's master sculptor Aldo Favilli.

Leave a comment:

• phil
    replied
    How are these going to be sold?

Leave a comment:

• MIB41
    replied
    Its amazing how something can sit in front of you for decades and you never notice the most obvious thing jumping right out at you. I realized it when I thought how interesting that Mattel was putting out Pulsar with Big Jim. Then I got to looking at the faces between Big Jeff and Pulsar. WTH... They definitely had the same daddy or the sculptor kept using similar facial features without straying much from the original design.

Leave a comment:

• PNGwynne
    replied
    I'm out, damn. It's like MOTU Classics all over agaim...

Leave a comment:

• RonnyG
    replied
    I've seen them on ebay. A seller was selling them for $99.99. Too pricey for me. They come as a 3-pack. I'm only interested in Big Jim anyway, but if he's $30, then I'll pass.
    s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

Leave a comment:

• PNGwynne
    replied
    I forgot about Captain Power, interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎