Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Intellivision and Colecovision retro consoles coming in October!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Werewolf
    replied
    The 2600 could do better graphics than often given credit for. I feel the main problems were the programers were hindered by having to use very tiny rom sizes and the development of the games were very rushed. The difference between the rushed abysmal 4KB Pac-Man to the later Ms. Pac-Man is night and day.

I liked the 5200. Great graphics but terrible and fragile controllers.

Leave a comment:

• Figuremod73
    replied
    Originally posted by Bruce Banner
    The Intellivision was indeed a pretty powerful system for its time.
    Talented programmers could get a lot out of that console.
    Many of the games developed by third parties just didn't do the system justice.
    But the internal programmers at Mattel Electronics were really producing some truly great games for the Master Component by the time of the great video game industry crash.
    Parker Bros. did o.k. with Qbert and Frogger, but Popeye was pretty bad. The in house games Night Stalker and Spacehawk are my favs. Their 2 player sports games are still awesome to play with somebody. A really good baseball game on the INTL.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Banner
    replied
    The Intellivision was indeed a pretty powerful system for its time.
    Talented programmers could get a lot out of that console.
    Many of the games developed by third parties just didn't do the system justice.
    But the internal programmers at Mattel Electronics were really producing some truly great games for the Master Component by the time of the great video game industry crash.

Leave a comment:

• Figuremod73
    replied
    I still think the Atari 5200 was the biggest mistake the company made. It was a rush job to compete with the colecovision and had alot of problems.

Leave a comment:

• Figuremod73
    replied
    Originally posted by jwyblejr
    Video game systems really didn't hit their stride graphic wise until 1982 when Colecovision and the Atari 5200 came out. In defense of Intellivision,they came out in 1979.
    The Intellivision was actually a very power system. While it didnt have the graphics it was the first 16-bit system on the market. If it had been given the computer add-on like Mattel originally intended it would have been an amazing computer for its time. Also keep in mind that programming in the early '80s wasnt nearly as good as it is now. Theres much better tools for making games. Theres been some good homebrews made on all 3 over the last ten years but I dont believe the Intellivision or Colecovisions full potential has been reached. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellivision

The 2600 now has an really good port of Donkey Kong

Leave a comment:

• jwyblejr
    replied
    Just saw that you have to pay $14.99 online to get the other 50 overlays for the Intellivision.

Leave a comment:

• jwyblejr
    replied
    Video game systems really didn't hit their stride graphic wise until 1982 when Colecovision and the Atari 5200 came out. In defense of Intellivision,they came out in 1979.

Leave a comment:

• huedell
    replied
    Originally posted by toys2cool
    cool, but those systems sucked lol
    I'll give you that Intellivision was competitively "bad/good" with it's contemporary competitor, the Atari 2600---but, Colecovision was inarguably a huge leap to both Atari 2600/Intellivision as far as gameplay, particulary in an "arcade game experience".

Comparing Atari 2600's DONKEY KONG with Colecovision's DK was night and DAY---blew me away when I was a kid and received Colecovision's DK, and played it for the first time.

So, even though primitive by today's standards, I can't apply "sucked" to Colecovision. Admittedly, Nintendo, and THEN Sega Genesis (after Colecovision era), were ALSO notable leaps forward.

I guess the one point I wanna state for posterity is that: Colecovision shouldn't be lumped in the same quality category as Intellivision---even if they ARE looked as "both sucking"

Leave a comment:

• jwyblejr
    replied
    DG's web site is sold out of the Intellivison.

Leave a comment:

• jwyblejr
    replied
    Dollar General has dropped the price on the Colecovision and Intellivision to $20 each.

Leave a comment:

• toys2cool
    replied
    cool, but those systems sucked lol

Leave a comment:

• Action Martin
    replied
    For years I wanted a Colecovision flashback console. But the included games list has left me cold. Without the original Nintendo games like Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior, and classics like Time Pilot and Mister Do, it looks like I won't be buying it.

Leave a comment:

• jwyblejr
    replied
    Rite Aid has the Atari one for $29.99.

Leave a comment:

• Figuremod73
    replied
    One of the best things about the FBs are they look really good on modern tvs and nice for trips. Many people are disappointed that the INTL and CV controllers cant be used on their vintage systems. Atgames is aware of that now and will most likely fix that issue next go around.

Leave a comment:

• HardyGirl
    replied
    I have those games for my real Atari. And yes, I really love Activision and Imagic games. Plaque Attack is one of my faves.

Originally posted by Figuremod73
    Theres no Imagic or Activision though and thats most of the best games. If they had Included Phoenix and Moon Patrol on the Atari FB, I would get it just for that. I wouldnt mind getting the Wal-mart version just for new wired controllers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎