X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
    Although I'm in the minority (as far as the MM goes) in my utter disappointment with this film. I take no pleasure in it's failure or in the failure of others, not really sure why you do.
    Yeah I don't understand that either. A lot of people I spoke to enjoyed it and I see no reason to revel in the overhyped "failure" of a beloved character's film debut. Especially since it was handled with respect.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Adam West
      Museum CPA
      • Apr 14, 2003

Disney is a huge company. Many people don't realize that they own ABC, ESPN, and Pixar among other properties.

Disney floundered for years after Walt died until Eisner came along and realized the value of their movies. Eisner was a visonary but apparently a hot head who was butted heads with everyone. I remember reading that Eisner had an opportunity to buy Pixar on the cheap but thought that computer animation sucked and after buying ABC; tried to nix "Lost" saying it was a stupid concept, etc. After getting into one too many tiffs, he finally stepped down and Bob Iger is now CEO. The movie might have bombed at the box office, but they will make up for it with DVD sales, rentals, and eventually being played on a PPV or Network that they own. That is why they can take risks and make big budget movies like this that don't pan out. I do think the movie will prove to be a profitable investment over time if it as good as everyone on the board has said it is. I anxiously await to see the dvd release.
      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Goblin19
        Talkative Member
        • May 2, 2002

Yeah, I was rooting for this, just like I'm rooting for The Three Stooges, though I thought both were just decent. I like what they both attempted.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by 4NDR01D
          I take no pleasure in it's failure or in the failure of others, not really sure why you do.
          Originally posted by palitoy
          Yeah I don't understand that either. A lot of people I spoke to enjoyed it and I see no reason to revel in the overhyped "failure" of a beloved character's film debut. Especially since it was handled with respect.
          Me neither. I just don't get it. We all like different things. I take no joy mocking things other people like.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Well, at least the movie made it's production budget back:

Production Budget: $250 million
            Total Lifetime Grosses:
            Domestic US: $68,864,278 (25.6%)
            + Foreign: $200,600,000 (74.4%)
            = Worldwide: $269,464,278

Even if other expenses such as marketing, splits with theatre chains, etc. will constitute the loss of around 100 million.
            Last edited by Bruce Banner; Apr 22, '12, 4:42 AM.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I don't take any pleasure in this movie's failure. I haven't seen it yet, but by all accounts it's a well-done film that adapts the material well. Can't ask for much more than that.

BUT, you can ask for the movie studio to promote the film appropriately. Cindy and I were talking about it last night, and she had no idea that Carter was pulled from the Civil War era to Mars, or anything else beyond he was on some alien/futuristic world and fought big alien monsters. She said it looked like Avatar in the desert.

Disney is promoting the fire out of Avengers (rightfully so) naming the characters (even though just about everyone knows them at this point) and telling you, and showing you, all you'd want to know going in.

John Carter needed this type of promotion more than the Avengers really does. It's odd to think that the same studio produced and marketed the same movies, with the same rating, in roughly the same genre. Paramount is still involved with the film in some aspect, so that may have to something to do with it.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Haven't seen it yet, but if Transformers is supposed to be the example of a succesful movie, I think I'm going to love John Carter...
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎