So 20 years of the IRS 'forgot me so I can do whatever' and now I'll just beg online? Oh, and while I'm begging, please enjoy my political rants. Sorry if you don't agree, but give me money anyway.
And folks happily giving cash to this guy? Really? There's one person on there who says she's about to lose her house but gave money because of all the enjoyment his comics brought her? Good luck keeping warm in that box with X-Factors wrapped around your frozen feet!
Sorry, but like Brian said, I've happily donated to comic pros on tough times ( Mantlo being one). But this...no. Write a book. Sell a tax sale special edition ( worked for Willie Nelson!). Do something to help yourself out.
Jesus, gofundme. God Bless us all.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Peter David needs Help...
Collapse
X
-
-
Yeah, while I've donated to other comics professionals who've been dealt hard hands in life (Bill Mantlo in particular) I'm personally not feeling this one.Leave a comment:
-
Had he had extensive medical bills due to an illness...that could've been doable. But his own financial blunders and shortcomings? Sorry, no. He can raise that $88K all by himself...this is not a life and death situation. It will take time and hard work. He just wants the easy way out.Leave a comment:
-
I read about this the other day. Peter David is a good writer , Wolverine #9 was one of my favorite stand alone issues. But when you hear comic field fund raising you think of under appreciated talents who were in the industry long before big money was involved and usually have unexpected health concerns and expenses. But to ask his fans to cover his back taxes is a stretch that is reaching on Reed Richard levels.Leave a comment:
-
Sad to hear of his troubles, but there are many with "troubles." I have family I wish I could help if I was in the position to do so. Everyone does.
I respect his ability to tell a story and his courage in reaching out for help. (Although I would qualify the term "courage" with a oft used term of male anatomy, which in his case have always been huge and made of brass.)
I question: Stan Lee sells his autograph on CGC graded books for $100 a pop, $75 if in quantity. Perhaps it's time he looked into that venue? Or does he view it as beneath him (but gofundme is not?)Leave a comment:
-
I read it and don't feel sorry for him in the least, he made his bed, so he needs to lie in it. I doubt he's innocent in the divorce thing, either. And yeah, his wife would have gotten that money anyway, so it doesn't matter. If he's had over 20 years to make an effort and didn't do so, its his problem, not his "fans".Read the story on his GoFundMe page and it definitely sounds like he got the short end of the stick. I guess if he had even suspected his wife was going to pilfer half his account and ask for a divorce, he might've placed that money in a separate account, but it's likely that some judge somewhere would have wound up making him give half of it to her anyway. If I were a person who was flush with a lot of cash, I'd consider helping him out, but only to an extent and with certain caveats. I do find it a bit tasteless for him to air his dirty laundry and ask his fans to pony up 88 grand for you.Leave a comment:
-
He's being "opaque" to put it nicely.
This is money he owed from twenty years ago. That's around the high-mark of his 90's Hulk days, so David was apparently making bank from Marvel and this tv gig. Why he didn't pay it then, ya got me.
IIRC, he was involved with Ang Lee's Hulk. I could swear he got a consultant credit, but wiki/IMDB has nothing listed. Either way, the guy has had the money in some form, which he admiits. Since he's not clarifying how this happened - it could very easily be an accounting err/change/audit on Nickelodeon's behalf - it's hard to buy "my ex-wife ate my bank account".
He's not the nicest guy in the world, but if you've ever dealt with the IRS aka the Borg, then you don't wish it on anyone, even the guy who wrecked the Hulk.Leave a comment:
-
Read the story on his GoFundMe page and it definitely sounds like he got the short end of the stick. I guess if he had even suspected his wife was going to pilfer half his account and ask for a divorce, he might've placed that money in a separate account, but it's likely that some judge somewhere would have wound up making him give half of it to her anyway. If I were a person who was flush with a lot of cash, I'd consider helping him out, but only to an extent and with certain caveats. I do find it a bit tasteless for him to air his dirty laundry and ask his fans to pony up 88 grand for you.Leave a comment:
-
If he were a performer, he'd hustle to find a project--even dinner/regional theatre. I'm not sympathetic.Leave a comment:
-
really? that is just ridiculous. this guy has written tons of books, if he was too stupid to invest his money for the long run then his "hardships" are all on him. asking his fans for money to pay his taxes is the lowest of the lowLeave a comment:
-
yeah, uhhh, no. No one helps me pay my taxes. The gofundme thing is really annoying. Panhandling for the interwebs.Leave a comment:


Leave a comment: