X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Action Martin
    Apeonaut
    • Dec 30, 2007

Gettin' Jiggy Wit It

A quick little kitbash this morning based on an old Ben Cooper Planet of the Apes "Jiggler". This was my first experience using the Classic TV Toys "General tunic" and it will be my last. I've heard horror stories about the flaking issues and as soon as I took it out of the baggie, a good quarter to half of the collar "disintegrated". That's why I didn't bother painting it. A true waste of $6.00.

Jiggler 2.jpg Jiggler.jpg
    Last edited by Action Martin; May 5, '24, 8:53 AM.
    Scott
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

This is a fun idea for a custom! Despite the issues with the CTVT General tunic, I really like the way it came out.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

What an ingenious custom, I love it. How did you do the fur shirt?

And that damn pleather, Mego uses it, too. In several years their apes and 50th figures will be flaking as well.

WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

I do not remember the jigglers but your upgrade is genius!
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

I really love how this came out and the idea behind it, nice job.

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Good interpretation... I'm sure you know it already, but the US one sheet for 'Battle" has a drawing of Aldo looking very similar to the jiggler. No doubt that's where Ben Cooper got their design from.

Comment

• Action Martin
              Apeonaut
              • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by sprytel
              This is a fun idea for a custom! Despite the issues with the CTVT General tunic, I really like the way it came out.
              Thank you.
              Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                Apeonaut
                • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                What an ingenious custom, I love it. How did you do the fur shirt?
                Classic TV Toys sells ape bodysuits in black and brown for 8" action figures. I used brown before for a Julius custom but didn't like that it was too light brown so I switched him to black.

I believe CTVT also sells black, brown, gray, and white fur bodysuits for 6" action figures.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                And that damn pleather, Mego uses it, too. In several years their apes and 50th figures will be flaking as well.
                The Mego pleather does not feel as cheap as the CTVT version.
                Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                  Apeonaut
                  • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by TrekStar
                  I really love how this came out and the idea behind it, nice job.
                  Thank you.
                  Scott

Comment

• Action Martin
                    Apeonaut
                    • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by apes3978
                    Good interpretation... I'm sure you know it already, but the US one sheet for 'Battle" has a drawing of Aldo looking very similar to the jiggler. No doubt that's where Ben Cooper got their design from.
                    Thank you. The poster was my original inspiration until I remembered the jiggler. I believe the Ben Cooper costume also used the jiggler image.
                    Scott

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Absolutely smashing idea, that's the same Ape on the Battle for the Planet of the Apes poster. It's supposed to be Aldo I guess.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I don't disagree about the quality of Mego pleather, but it's jus a matter of when, not if.

Many thanks for the CTVT referral. With a furry shirt, I think I have enough spare parts to make one of these. I appreciate your inspiration.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
                          Maker & Whatnot
                          • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Indeed, but given the track record of absolute abuse a Soldier Ape's tunic can take (remaining pliable and bonded)… I'm guessing we Megokids fall apart first.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I mean ReMego pleather, the vintage vinyl seems very durable.

Likewise, a vintage GI Joe tanker jacket might discolor, but it's usually intact.

Comment

• Confessional
                              Maker & Whatnot
                              • Aug 8, 2012

** <Roger that!>

…and good to back 'round; I've been sketchy in recent months. We need more Apes!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎