PDA

View Full Version : Big Jim and Pulsar return in 2022... sort of

MIB41
Apr 1, '21, 4:06 AM
Mattel Creations has announced that 2022 will see the return of Big Jim and Pulsar, only in smaller form. Its an interesting direction, but perhaps this is to gauge demand for a more direct recreation later? Figures and toes crossed. This would be the dream of a lifetime. Note there's also a Matt Mason in the mix.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ab176/clayton45/Mattel_and_Pulsar_return.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds (https://app.photobucket.com/u/clayton45/p/ebf21dc3-67d2-4c3d-a9a0-e22530f89fe1)

Brown Bear
Apr 1, '21, 4:52 AM
Wow! Very pumped for those!

monitor_ep
Apr 1, '21, 6:17 AM
I do not understand the choice of figures. These were popular because they were the basically a different version of G.I.Joe. So why go what looks like Secret Wars or classic MOTU style action figure? They could have gone 3 3/4 inch classis G.I. Joe or gone 8 inch ReMego style?

palitoy
Apr 1, '21, 6:32 AM
A photo of these surfaced a few months back, glad to see them see release!

Brown Bear
Apr 1, '21, 6:41 AM
Wow! Very pumped for those!

Is this an April Fools joke?! Please say no.

palitoy
Apr 1, '21, 7:32 AM
Is this an April Fools joke?! Please say no.

It is not, my friend owns the factory samples, they're legit.

Makernaut
Apr 1, '21, 8:58 AM
The art on the packaging is enough to make me look forward to collecting the line. But I think the figures look great, too.:cool_y:

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 1, '21, 9:18 AM
Wow, using the Secret Wars buck is an interesting angle. Reminds me of how Mattel used the Big Jim tooling for the DC Mego-Like figures a few years back. Mattel never throws anything away!

Nice to see the Kirby Big Jim PACK art on that box too!

Chris

palitoy
Apr 1, '21, 9:39 AM
All the bodies are stamped Mattel 2020.

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 1, '21, 10:45 AM
^Oh, that's interesting. Are these the same size as Secret Wars? I know another company is using that buck (or one based on it) for the Amazing Heroes line of (mostly) public domain comic characters in the original scale.

Chris

Werewolf
Apr 1, '21, 11:44 AM
That's wicked! I'm going to have to get those. Doing them Secret Wars style was a surprising and inspired choice.

PNGwynne
Apr 1, '21, 4:41 PM
Ye gods, how does one get these?

neogelion
Apr 2, '21, 2:12 PM
I think the bodies look more like the King Arthur and the Nights(?) toy line from the nineties.

Mikey
Apr 2, '21, 2:50 PM
IMO, Big Jim IS his body features --- "break the muscle band !!! " --- "karate chop action"

As a 70's kid who LOVED/LOVES Big Jim (pre P.A.C.K.) with a passion i'll pass

Bionicfanboy66
Apr 3, '21, 8:47 AM
MC should have just reproduced the original figures. This is probably going to be a pass for me.

monitor_ep
Apr 3, '21, 9:58 AM
I still remember seeing the original Big Jim figures and clothes while Mego were out back in the 70's. Never did understand why the went 10 inch when G. I. Joe was 12" and Mego was 8 inch. Thanks to my Mom's sewing skills she would take the outfits apart and resew them into Mego size so my brother & I could have more clothes/characters for our figures.

PNGwynne
Apr 3, '21, 11:02 AM
Big Jim was probably the best-designed classic action figure ever, and I would welcome a re-release. It would likely be very expensive, considering the complicated tooling/manufacturing.

But I welcome these homages. Of course, I'm also a huge Pulsar fan.

Werewolf
Apr 3, '21, 4:06 PM
I think it's very exciting Mattel is digging into their catalog of IPs. It's nice to see Big Jim and MMM getting some love and Pulsar was a very pleasant surprise. I didn't think they'd ever revisit Pulsar. These "testing the waters" homages are good news for fans of those lines. You know I don't think any of this would be going on if Mattel hadn't lost the DC license. This forced them to think out of the box instead of just lazily pumping out the same DC figures and other licensed stuff they'd been doing. Same with MOTU and Monster High. Mattel has some of the most beloved IPs in the industry it's a shame they had been sitting on them so long.

Mikey
Apr 4, '21, 1:18 PM
IMO, if Big Jim is released without his classic body he'll be a total flop

powersthatbe
Apr 6, '21, 8:57 PM
So what is Mattel Creations? Is this something like mattycollector? and they should also do captain power and bravestarr

PNGwynne
Apr 6, '21, 9:29 PM
I forgot about Captain Power, interesting.

RonnyG
Apr 6, '21, 9:44 PM
I've seen them on ebay. A seller was selling them for $99.99. Too pricey for me. They come as a 3-pack. I'm only interested in Big Jim anyway, but if he's $30, then I'll pass.

PNGwynne
Apr 7, '21, 6:20 PM
I'm out, damn. It's like MOTU Classics all over agaim...

MIB41
Apr 8, '21, 12:31 PM
Its amazing how something can sit in front of you for decades and you never notice the most obvious thing jumping right out at you. I realized it when I thought how interesting that Mattel was putting out Pulsar with Big Jim. Then I got to looking at the faces between Big Jeff and Pulsar. WTH... They definitely had the same daddy or the sculptor kept using similar facial features without straying much from the original design.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ab176/clayton45/(edited)_Pulsar_Mattel.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds (https://app.photobucket.com/u/clayton45/p/bab261fc-180f-4854-b543-761f6f34f16d)
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ab176/clayton45/(edited)_Big_Jeff_Mattel.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds (https://app.photobucket.com/u/clayton45/p/a88300e1-dc9a-4260-a799-45c92b3c6b44)

phil
Apr 8, '21, 1:09 PM
How are these going to be sold?

PNGwynne
Apr 8, '21, 6:32 PM
MIB, I was thinking these, and more, were done by Mattel's master sculptor Aldo Favilli.

MIB41
Apr 8, '21, 8:40 PM
MIB, I was thinking these, and more, were done by Mattel's master sculptor Aldo Favilli.

I think you're right. Its even there on He-Man. I didn't realize how much Big Jim DNA moved forward into other toy lines here at home. It seems Mattel recycled allot of the Big Jim ideas to new toy lines.

sprytel
Apr 8, '21, 9:43 PM
I forgot about Captain Power, interesting.

I actually could imagine Mattel and Netflix rebooting Captain Power, with some sort of interactivity akin to the Bandersnatch episode of Black Mirror. Both the toys and the show were ahead of their time.

PNGwynne
Apr 8, '21, 10:13 PM
I think you're right. Its even there on He-Man. I didn't realize how much Big Jim DNA moved forward into other toy lines here at home. It seems Mattel recycled allot of the Big Jim ideas to new toy lines.

I agree, with face-changing and other features. Some of the Big Jim accessories were recycled for decades for Ken & Barbie, as well.

Werewolf
Apr 8, '21, 10:27 PM
Some of the Big Jim accessories were recycled for decades for Ken & Barbie, as well.

And Big Jim had lots of Barbie hand me downs. Mattel was never one to waste a good mold.

thatblockoguy
Apr 9, '21, 8:41 PM
Mattel probably sees this as a necessary move. Right now Universal owns the rights to MOTU and Mattel has the right of first refusal to make action figures until 2023 when that agreement ends. After that Universal can shop around. Smart move to try and revive interest in these lines. Hope they succeed

Werewolf
Apr 9, '21, 8:50 PM
Right now Universal owns the rights to MOTU and Mattel has the right of first refusal to make action figures until 2023 when that agreement ends. After that Universal can shop around.

I would take that with a grain of salt. As I understand it Mattel sold the entertainment rights. Not the IP. Universal owns the entertainment rights and the Filmation rights through Dreamworks. Mattel still owns the IP and has very recently renewed the trademarks. Including the trademarks to Princess of Power.

toyhunter1970
Apr 10, '21, 2:53 AM
IMO, if Big Jim is released without his classic body he'll be a total flop

agreed

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 10, '21, 8:05 AM
I would take that with a grain of salt. As I understand it Mattel sold the entertainment rights. Not the IP. Universal owns the entertainment rights and the Filmation rights through Dreamworks. Mattel still owns the IP and has very recently renewed the trademarks. Including the trademarks to Princess of Power.

I was wondering about that. Toy Guru put up a video about this, but despite the fact he was once the brand manager of MOTU, his cut and paste videos often leave me wondering if he REALLY knows what he's talking about, 100%. I enjoy some of them, but it seems like his "industry insider" angle only goes so far. For instance, in this video he shows a Biff! Bang! Pow! SMDM Fembot in among the classic Kenner line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShBJTWQafHE

palitoy
Apr 10, '21, 8:08 AM
I was wondering about that. Toy Guru put up a video about this, but despite the fact he was once the brand manager of MOTU, his cut and paste videos often leave me wondering if he REALLY knows what he's talking about, 100%. I enjoy some of them, but it seems like his "industry insider" angle only goes so far. For instance, in this video he shows a Biff! Bang! Pow! SMDM Fembot in among the classic Kenner line.

He knows his stuff in many respects but he recently did a Big Jim video (where he wholesale used my stuff) and it was SO WRONG, I wish he had read the words I had written when he was nicking the pictures.

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 10, '21, 11:14 AM
I think he goofed on the video above, stating the mold used for Battle Cat originally came from Mattel's Tarzan line first, and then it was used in Big Jim. But I think it's the other way around.

Not cool that he doesn't give you credit, but his videos seemed to be made from Google searches. Many of his images are too low-res for video presentation.

Werewolf
Apr 10, '21, 11:34 AM
but despite the fact he was once the brand manager of MOTU,

Which he never lets anyone forget. Seriously, though, he hasn't worked for Mattel in a long time.

I don't have the intense dislike of Guru some seem to have but he does come off as bit of an odd duck at times. I also noticed the errors on the Big Jim vid too. Even I know the Jim tiger predates the Tarzan one. I don't claim to be an expert on MOTU or have any kind of inside info. Everything I mention, like recent trademark filings, are widely known and reported public knowledge.

palitoy
Apr 10, '21, 12:10 PM
Not cool that he doesn't give you credit, but his videos seemed to be made from Google searches. Many of his images are too low-res for video presentation.

Yeah I'm not that miffed about that part, just wished he had done more research.

thatblockoguy
Apr 10, '21, 6:38 PM
In a world of well thought out and informative toy videos from Brick Mantooth, Toy Galaxy, Analogue Toys and Edís Retro Geek Out, Scottís just donít come close in production value or content. Theyíre like an assignment that a high school student might put together on the fly. Not sure what the deal is with daily videos anyway.
Ok rant ended.
Re: this line, is it actually a line or just a one off offering. I have to agree with those who say that these new versions donít capture what made each figure so endearing when they were first released. Iím old enough to have had all three back in the seventies. Like many of you they, along with Mego and GI Joe defined my childhood. Unfortunately looking at the pic, these donít generate an emotional connection like the one I had when I first opened the Walmart GI Joe Adventure Team figures from around 15 years ago. If the idea is to reintroduce these properties to a new generation, I think itís missing the mark completely. The first version of Max Steel did a far better job of capturing the fun of Big Jim. Just my two cents.

PNGwynne
Apr 10, '21, 7:44 PM
Second that on early Max Steel. Matty should have done more with that relationship and reused those molds elsewhere IMO.

ddgaff1132
Apr 14, '21, 4:06 PM
Yeah I'm not that miffed about that part, just wished he had done more research.

NOPE!!! He states in the video that Pulsar is Big Jim scale but Pulsar is closer to Six Million Dollar Man in scale. So He's talking out his hat.
I'd rather get my toy info from someone who knows their stuff. (I'm talk'n bout you Brian)

Werewolf
Apr 16, '21, 12:29 PM
I've been thinking about this a bit more. The MOTU rights are certainly a little convoluted due to the multiple sales of Filmation. Loreal to Hallmark to Classic media to Dreamworks to Universal. Again, I have no inside info and I've never claimed to. All public knowledge.

The best I understand it is Universal is the current rights owner of the Filmation series. Meaning the Filmation looks of the characters. But they don't own the characters or the IP. Mattel does. So for a product, like the upcoming Hallmark Filmation Castle Grayskull ornament, Hallmark needs permission from Mattel for the rights to Castle Grayskull and the Filmation likeness from Classic Media/Universal. Classic Media cannot license out Filmation MOTU products without Mattel's approval because Mattel still owns the IP.

License info from the Hallmark Grayskull ornament from Hallmark's product page.

"MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE(TM) and associated trademarks are owned by and used under license from Mattel, Inc. © 2021 Mattel, Inc. Under license to Classic Media."

Under license to Classic Media not from Classic Media.

Universal also owns the entertainment rights, meaning movie rights, but again still not the IP.

Mattel has been recently and continually filing and updating the trademarks to Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power.

Mattel does have to license the Filmation looks of the characters from Classic Media/Universal if they want to release figures of He-Man, Skeletor, etc. as they looked in the Filmation cartoon. Though I think there might be some iffy leeway on how close they can get to Filmation because of the Mattel's style guides from the 80s which did use looks very close to Filmation. Mattel also doesn't own the character likeness rights to the 1987 live action movie. Like I said it's convoluted and overly complicated.

Werewolf
Apr 16, '21, 12:46 PM
Hasbro doesn't have to deal with any of this nonsense with Transformers or GI JOE because they bought the Sunbow library and flat out own everything. Unfortunately, I think one of the problems with Mattel doing that is being forced to buy the entire Filmation library just to get He-Man and She-Ra and getting stuck with a lot of stuff they can't do anything with. In the long run it still might be the better option to not have to deal with this crap again and worry about selling off what they can't use later.

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 16, '21, 12:46 PM
^But it doesn't sound like it's as cut and dry as "Mattel will lose the exclusive rights to MOTU in 2023", which ToyGuru claimed.

Chris

Werewolf
Apr 16, '21, 12:56 PM
^But it doesn't sound like it's as cut and dry as "Mattel will lose the exclusive rights to MOTU in 2023", which ToyGuru claimed.

Chris

I could be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, ToyGuru's claim does not seem accurate. Mattel still owns the IP and will continue to do so.

Here's an article from 2014 stating Mattel owns MOTU.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/mattel-wins-he-man-ownership-687138

Donald Glut, who wrote the four original mini comics, tried to sue Mattel over the rights to MOTU. He lost.

Earth 2 Chris
Apr 16, '21, 1:03 PM
^Man, Don Glut has had a VERY interesting career. He's literally done EVERYTHING. Early home movie fan films, comics, indie horror films, softcore horror films, MOTU, Filmation shows, Marvel animated series...you name it.

Chris

thatblockoguy
Apr 18, '21, 10:27 PM
Are the Back in Action figures supposed to be a general release or through Mattel Creations? Just went on that site to learn more about the ďShogun SkeletorĒ and realized that I couldnít find anything about the line

Werewolf
Apr 30, '21, 11:26 PM
On a ownership related note, I just got the new Funko POP She-Ra and there's no mention of Classic Media on the package only Mattel. The new She-Ra Funko POP is based on the toy and doesn't use the Filmation look.

Are the Back in Action figures supposed to be a general release or through Mattel Creations?

I believe Mattel Creations.

thatblockoguy
May 1, '21, 11:14 PM
So like $150 for the three pack?

darkmonkeygod
May 2, '21, 9:21 PM
So like $150 for the three pack?

I'm hopeful they'll be in the $60 range, but I'll honestly be shocked if they're over $100.