• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

Build Your Own Zombie. #1

well, it's a custom; so here he is.
    Took me about 3 hours to do...and I am no model painter by any stretch of the imagination.
    I brushed ink over all zombie sculpt pieces and once dried I used basic colors, as seen on the plate. Honestly, I just kept watching the video packed with the kit to figure out the look. This was my first time using dry brush technique...I am usually an airbrusher. And seriously - the detail was acheived by a really dry brush and fast strokes. The only time I used a fine brush and was really careful was the teeth and hazy eye. The face consists of the bright yellow...then some orange...then the blood.
    For the bone areas, I did most of the blood work first in different mixtures. Since most of the red was pretty thin - once I started adding the bone color, it mixed just right with the watered down red around the edges and just worked great for me.
    Meh, not reall happy with the weathering on his clothes - but can always revisit.
    90% of all the blood was thinned out red paint. Took a shot glass, filled it 3/4 full of water. Squirted in less than a teas**** (Stupid filter is editing out the name of a household items hahaha) of red, then stirred it up until disolved. It puddled up in places on the figure..but it was so thin, it ran pretty good. I'd just blow a little bit and dab the areas to even it out or change its flow. Occassionaly, I would take my brush and mix in some un-thinned red from my plate.
    I did give it a distant shot of clear sealant to make him stay looking gooey.

• sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Awesome. Paul's kit has some great stuff in it, and you did a fantastic job on painting it up.

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

Chad, that's awesome dude. The paints are off the charts good, heck the whole figure is terrific. Very, very nice work.
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Jerry68
        Persistent Member
        • Feb 12, 2008

Looks fantastic!!
        sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Nice gruesome undead guy. The kit is doing its job, making new customizers.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• HumanWolfman
            Type3Toys Has Transformed
            • Oct 5, 2011

Beautiful work on this guy! Makes me want to give one of these kits a shot now.
            View My Customs
            www.type3toys.com
            or check here
            http://megomuseum.com/community/memb...5-HumanWolfman

Comment

• emeraldknight47
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 20, 2011

As a zombie enthusiast, I gotta say that rocks, dude! The colors and details to the decay are spot on! Excellent stuff! As an added bonus, the mixing plate looks like a really funky abstract painting, too!
              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Captain_Mego
                Vet.
                • May 22, 2007

Outstanding ...he came out great. Nice paints as well.

Comment

• noelani72
                  27inaleon
                  • Jun 25, 2002

thanks for the comments folks!

I spent a little time poking around google for color ideas.
                  Seems the majority of zombies are either the dull grey, weird yellow, or pale green. I was going for the mustard-ish yellow on this guy, but oddly enough, the dry yellow over the black ink gave me a color I was not expecting...which is more towards a darker green. Then, the orange highlights just really surprised me.

The kits are pretty neat and offer a few options. For the money - can't complain. However, we would have liked to see the swivel arms and more clothes - but Doc has already addressed those things :-)

We've bought two kits so far.
                  The first kit - as I tried to show my son how the pvc flexes so you can pop a calve off - I broke the plastic hip pin somehow. Not really sure, but once I heard that crack, the whole leg came off. What broke on the pin was the little "hook" that connects to the wire. No big deal, it happens.
                  On the second kit, I did the same darn thing, but this time on the right leg. Funny thing is, I was working on the left arm elbow at the time..sooooo I dunno..wasn't anywhere close and wasn't pulling the shoulder out of socket to stretch the rubber band. I'll be curious to see if other folks experience this or if I am just being too rough.

Also, and I think Doc covered this one too in another thread - the elbow pins. We can not pry the lower arm off the elbow joint as the video shows. The pins have round nubs on each end, that so far - I have not been able to push thru the pvc arm...the elbow pin breaks (consistantly) in the very middle, creating two pins essentially. Once re-assembled, they go back in just fine and seem tight.

Another tiny thing I noticed was something someone else said in a thread...about the zombiefied wrists being limp and not staying in position. We have not had that issue on our figures; but I could see how it happened for that person. Our zombiefied hands/arms don't seem to "snap" together..or we just aren't pushing the wristpin into the zombie arm far enough...but we push the pin in far enough that it is very tight and the hands remain in any position we try.

Oh, another thing - the paint. As you can see from my awesome plate (LOL) I have big puddles of yellow and orange...yeah, wasted paint. I started using smaller dabs for the white, red, brown and black and STILL wasted paint. Ya don't need very much at all as I learned.
                  Last edited by noelani72; Jan 6, '12, 9:13 AM.

Comment

• boss
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 18, 2003

Great work Chad. The paints look awesome.
                    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• piecemaker
                      There's no need to fear..
                      • Jan 26, 2009

Great job!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                        OH JES!!
                        • Jul 21, 2005

That is off the hook!!!! awesome!!!

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

Oh hell yeah, that came out great
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• noelani72
                            27inaleon
                            • Jun 25, 2002

Experimenting with the new light tent, took some shots of this guy up close and personal...

Comment

• The4thDoctor
                              Travelling thru time
                              • Nov 2, 2011

Nice looking zombie, buddy.....I bought 2 zombie kits as well...for any broken pins (elbow,wrist,ankle) a small piece of coat hanger (cut by pliers/wire cutters) will insert into the holes almost perfectly...any issue of loose appendages is almost nil....i used coat hanger on all of my second box figures.....hip pin hooks,ya,they are very fragile....vintage ones replace them fine....i need doll stands..... :(
                              sigpic****WANT LIST-----WANT LIST***
                              Denys Fisher Mego Dr Who Sonic Screwdriver acc
                              Vintage Cheron
                              Mego Spiderman right arm/hand
                              SMDM right leg/pair socks
                              Mego Green Goblin

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎