X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hartley0
    Repatriator
    • Oct 14, 2008

Mike Allred's Wonder Woman Art for Mac Cosmetics

A few weeks ago while walking through a local Hudson's Bay store (Canadian version of Nordstom's, etc) my eye caught some beautiful Mike Allred Wonder Woman art in the cosmetics department! Turns out he did the packaging for a Mac Cosmetics Wonder Woman line - please see pics below.

Being a lover of the man's work (huge Madman fan!), I asked one of the clerk's if I could or have, or purchase, the display material after the promo was over. She looked at me sadly and said "We have to destroy it". My reaction, as you can imagine, was "WHAT?!?!?". She went on to explain that DC has asked all stores to destroy all packaging and that it not be given to anyone. Crazy, crazy, crazy. What a freaking waste. I joked that I could be at the dumpster on said day, but she just smiled

I've checked ebay a few times but haven't seen any of the display material come up (tons of the actual cosmetic packaging, though). Not that I would actually buy it for more than a few bucks, but was just curious...

• Bizarro Amy
    Formerly known as Del
    • Dec 12, 2004

Sadly, I didn't hear about the line until most of the good stuff was gone. I don't wear much makeup, in have never bought anything as expensive as MAC. They had a tote bag with the same artwork - I think it went for around $50. I've looked and can't find it anywhere outside of eBay, where people have them priced much higher than I'm willing to pay for a bag. So if anyone finds one, I'd love a pm. I had looked into some of the makeup, just for the compact, and none of the stores have colors I would even use, and the stuff is too pricey to buy something I can't wear. There are also t-shirts on eBay that aren't too expensive, but it's a shame they only made them for slimmer women.
    The last time I saw a MAC counter in a department store, I also asked for the display, and got the same response.
    Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
    https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
    http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• hartley0
      Repatriator
      • Oct 14, 2008

I'll see if The Bay has anything left, or tucked away, the next time I am in. You never know!

Comment

• HardyGirl
        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
        • Apr 3, 2007

That is a waste. I've gotten some cool freebie display stuff in the past (some in my toyroom now). Looks cool. Too bad I rarely wear make-up.
        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Go to a different store and ask the manager there. I'm betting this won't be strictly enforced.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• aquatroy
            Permanent Member
            • Apr 28, 2002

That display looks great. You know, Allred on WW wouldn't have occured to me, but now I want to read that book.
            Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

It would be a great comic, provided they let Allred use the classic costume.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megoscott
                Founding Partner
                • Nov 17, 2006

What a waste! They should auction them for charity or something!
                This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Darn, I saw the display and I wanted to get it for my wife but she said she had too much makeup and I passed.......

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

The artwork has her classic iconic look so of course it must be destroyed.

I agree they should at least auction them off for charity.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• aquatroy
                      Permanent Member
                      • Apr 28, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      It would be a great comic, provided they let Allred use the classic costume.
                      I don't give a rats *** about the booty shorts. I just want good stories. Last time I read a good WW story was the One Year Later relaunch. If only that creative team could have kept a schedule. "sigh"
                      Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎