X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vancegeoffmen
    • Mar 3, 2011

resin head insertion issues

Hey, All
    I've been making some head sculpts out if resin and I just need to if there are any other ways of cleanly inserting these things into a castaway body without having crack it open. I don't really have this issue with a normal mego/ctvt body just because of their made of softer plastic. Please let me know.
    Check out http://www.neo-fighters.blogspot.com
  • Cmonster
    Banned
    • Feb 6, 2010

You'll hear a lot of different ways to deal with this issue from different customizers in here, but my own opinion is that a mego neck plug on a custom resin head, is a bad idea. Those neck plugs were designed to work with the original, vinyl, mego heads. Cut the neck plug completely off, insert a eye screw and string the head onto the body. This will also give your figure more movement.

My 2

SC

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Resin neckplugs usually need some bit of trim to fit. Alternately, you can always widen the neck hole on the body.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Someone taught me a trick at Mego Meet to deal with those.

You just take a pair of pliers like these ones and spin the neck plug around in them a bit to grind off the resin until it fits. You should do this BEFORE you paint (I learned this the hard way).
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• QDOGG
          Persistent Member
          • Jan 13, 2007

Dremel! I'm all about the Dremel

Comment

• Type Two
            Career Member
            • Sep 20, 2010

I've had good luck cutting the flange on the neck plug (the ridge that sticks out further than the rest of the plug) on one or two sides so that you can gently twist the head into the figure's neck. That way, it will sit properly and still maintain a full field of movement without falling out.
            Type Two: The Mego body, not the disease.

Comment

• TrueDave
              Toy Maker
              • Jan 12, 2008

I build my heads on dowel rods that fit the neck hole.
              Then I drill a hole through and use elastic to tie it to the cross bar in the pelvis.

Comment

• vancegeoffmen
                • Mar 3, 2011

Originally posted by samurainoir
                Someone taught me a trick at Mego Meet to deal with those.

You just take a pair of pliers like these ones and spin the neck plug around in them a bit to grind off the resin until it fits. You should do this BEFORE you paint (I learned this the hard way).
                http://www.bevelheaven.com/Products/...-wt-plyers.jpg
                That's pretty much what I had been doing. what would be nice is if I could make them into soft vinyl.
                Check out http://www.neo-fighters.blogspot.com

Comment

• TrueDave
                  Toy Maker
                  • Jan 12, 2008

Originally posted by vancegeoffmen
                  That's pretty much what I had been doing. what would be nice is if I could make them into soft vinyl.
                  I tried the next best thing ( I thought) making them in silicone. But they were still solid and I didnt have the chance to try PAX paint yet.

Making heads soft, hollow AND able to accept tpaint without rubbing off would be a swell thing . . . . . . .

I was really worried about Resin heads, especially inside a sealed blister, but the elastic though the neck trick works good so far for me

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎