Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andorian:TOTAL removal of belt stain from tunic! See inside. Thanks, Dave Mc!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K
    Fun Will Now Commence
    • Jun 20, 2001

Andorian:TOTAL removal of belt stain from tunic! See inside. Thanks, Dave Mc!

Hello, Everyone.

Previously, I posted about possibly removing the black belt stain from an Andorian tunic. Here's the original post:

Hello, Everyone. I just got my widdle hands on an original Andorian (happy dance!), with repro boots and belt. The tunic has the customary black staining from the original belt and, in addition, the chainmail bodysuit beneath has a sort of tan/brownish stain in the area of the belt as well (the tunic was most constricted

Dave Mc recommended Remove-Zit for the tunic, as well as Oxyclean for the brown tunic-colored residue on the silver bodysuit caused by the belt's constriction over time. I know lots of folks (myself included) were a bit apprehensive about trying something drastic to remove the stain. However, I proceeded carefully (scientific method! LOL!) and I had GREAT results and wanted to share them so that other folks wouldn't be so nervous about the process. Think of it as an Andorian Tunic Stain Removal Tutorial. *laughs*

1. Here is my Andorian. He came with lousy repro boots, an incorrect repro belt, and a replaced lower right leg. [I'm looking for a blue right leg, incidentally]. Here, I have cleaned him and tried to remove the bodysuit and tunic stains with detergent, etc. As you can see, I didn't have much luck.

2. I ordered Remove-Zit on Dave Mc's advice and decided to spot test it on the least conspicuous area of the tunic, shown here with a red arrow. It's a bit tough to see the black mark continuing because the tunic curls right there:

3. Remove-Zit is odd stuff. To me, it resembles the inside of a baked potato, but is really gummy to apply. It takes patience. I'm not sure how thickly to apply it, but I applied it pretty thickly. I checked it periodically and after about 1.5 to 2 hours or so, I noticed a slight brown color tinge to the Remove-Zit. I finally "pushed" the Remove-Zit around to check the stain and it was gone after approximately 3 to 3.5 hours. I then scraped off the Remove-Zit. As you can see, the stain is gone and even the stain from the underside of the tunic (the fabric-backed side) is removed.

I should note that Remove-Zit smells a lot. I had a fan on the whole time and was careful not to touch it. I collected the material I scraped off after stain removal and put it in a glass jar with a lid and labelled it. I will take it to my local hazardous waste center for disposal. I emailed Twin Pines for a material safety data sheet on the stuff and they don't have one, but I recommend erring on the side of caution. Don't use it around kids, pets, food, drink, etc.
    Okay...end of lecture.

4. After my "test results", I decided to do the whole belt stain. I very carefully applied the Remove-Zit around the silver diamonds on the tunic, so that they wouldn't be harmed in any way.

In the photo below, you can see the "process". The black area to the far left was done a bit later. I tried to do the stained area in different segments so that I could position the tunic as needed. So...I did the right hand "curly part" that would be on the back of the figure, then the front part which lies most flat, then lastly the left hand "curly part" that would be on the back of the figure.

5. Here's the amazing result! This is after I removed all the Remove-Zit, removed its residue with nail polish remover (Remove-Zit is not water soluble), and washed the tunic in All detergent gently in the sink.

6. I also took Dave Mc's suggestion of using Oxyclean on the stain on the bodysuit. I applied the Oxyclean first as a paste on the area, then soaked it for a bit in warm water. Frankly, I was a bit nervous, as I had in the past used Oxyclean on a knight bodysuit and found that it took some of the silver sparkle finish off. This came out okay, though, with no damage. I was hesitant to leave it too long, so the stain is still there, but much lighter:

7. Here is my spiffed up Andorian! I hunted down one original boot and am searching for a second. I will get a better repro belt soon, as I don't think I'd be lucky enough to find an original. Here's a far shot of the figure:

8. Lastly, here is a close up view, so you can better see the tunic color:

Thanks for looking! And...I know I've said this before, but I say it again: Bless you, Dave Mc!
    I LOVE CHEESECAKE!!!sigpic

"...and the Geeks shall inherit the earth."
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

Holy crap K that came out awesome,looks brand spankin' new!!
    Now about that leg...
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• K
      Fun Will Now Commence
      • Jun 20, 2001

^ shocking, isn't it? *laughs!*

Yes...I'm on the "hunt" for that leg and boot. Someday....someday!

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Sweet job! We should probably make sure this thread gets put in megofact for posterity.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

I was thinking the same thing. Great job and great advice Dave.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• batmanmc
            mego batman collector
            • Jun 22, 2004

wow that looks great . congrats on the ncie job and great advice dave. mike

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

Incredible, what an amazing result.
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• kresge1
                Museum_Bozo
                • Jun 20, 2001

Awesome results.I have to try that stuff
                Looking for Remco Phantom. Mego mailer boxed figures

Comment

• txteach
                  Banned
                  • Jun 17, 2005

DANG! That looks awesome K! You da girl!

Comment

• mikeoz
                    Mego Maker
                    • Mar 9, 2007

Amazing! I wondered what Remove-Zit was like. I never would have guessed that it was a paste.
                    Looking for:
                    Lincoln Phantom of the Opera

Comment

• K
                      Fun Will Now Commence
                      • Jun 20, 2001

Thanks, Everyone. I'm glad you like the results as much as I did.

^mike,

I was pretty surprised when I saw the consistency of the Remove-Zit. I expected it to be sort of a cream, but it's actually flakier than a paste, if you know what I mean. It really does look like baked potato! *laughs!*

Comment

• cjefferys
                        Duke of Gloat
                        • Apr 23, 2006

Amazing, that tunic turned out great. Nice job!

I've heard that Remove-Zit can also work for discoloured vinyl, is that true?
                        Where can you buy the stuff, or do you have to order it someplace?

Comment

• K
                          Fun Will Now Commence
                          • Jun 20, 2001

^ Yes, it must be ordered. You can get it from Twin Pines:

I've heard that Remove-Zit can also work for discoloured vinyl, is that true?
                          I'd assume so, since my Andorian tunic might be considered "discolored" as opposed to stained. *shrug* It's worth a try!
                          The Remove-Zit goes pretty far, so that little jar you see in my photos (costs $9.95 plus shipping) will last me a long time, although on the Twin Pines site they recommend using it "fresh".
                          Last edited by K; Aug 30, '07, 6:37 PM.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

Wow, that is amazing! So, I know you wrote that you were careful to avoid the silver diamonds, but did either the renuzit or the nail polish remover have any effect on them? It looks like it didn't, but I wonder if it would have had you been less careful.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• K
                              Fun Will Now Commence
                              • Jun 20, 2001

^ No, there was absolutely no problem with either the Remove-Zit or the nail polish remover on the silver diamonds. BUT...having said that: I was careful NOT to have any Remove-Zit get onto the diamonds. Also, when I was removing the Remove-Zit residue with the nail polish remover, I used a Q-tip with the nail polish remover on it, swabbed the tunic until I could tell there was no more residue, then immediately washed it in warm water and All detergent. I didn't let the nail polish remover sit on top of the tunic or silver diamonds.

I suppose if you're really nervous about the silver diamonds, you don't even need to go close to them with the Remove-Zit if you don't want to, but I wanted to get off as much black as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎