Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

ok, I went out and picked up some zubber. I am not a custom builder. I do not make (or more so cannot) molds and so on like most of you can. So in my case I wanted to try this out and not have it look like something a second grader made out of clay. I did not want to use the molds supplied. I then recalled an old toy I have that does have a "head" mold. I fished out my very old Playdoh Count Creepy Head and Friends set and used a head mold from that (vampire). I was not sure how this stuff will work with different types of plastic so I lightly used vaseline on the playdoh mold

Zubber seems to have you mix equal parts of the activator and the zubber material. To do what I have pictured and using their scoop tools, this took 13 scoops of red (the whole red container) and 13 scoops of the activator. Right now it is still curing and kind of feels a little greasy (probably the vaseline). The instructions tell you that for it to fully cure it can take about 24 hours so this is how I will leave it. However it does seem promising if it does harden to more like rubber and not stay in the greasy state (the zubber itself is a little greasy when I was mixing the two ingredients, the Vaseline though added more to this). Pics are all below

Last edited by mazinz; Sep 20, '09, 7:27 PM.
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• mazinz
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 2, 2007

Giving an update that the zubber is hardening to the likeness of the original (80's) he-man type of head (rubber that you can smush). I also used a paper towel to remove some of the greasy vaseline from it.

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

Wow that's so cool!!
        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Boris71
          GeekBot' For Life
          • May 13, 2007

Originally posted by mazinz
          Thanks for this post, in my case I would use the stuff to re-create the old 1970's style rubber monster/jigglers. Please post more results as I am very curious about this now
          I would Love to see pics of them when you do them
          Check out my Electronic Mag here Psycho Styrene Modeling Magazine

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Looking promising so far, let us know how well it takes paint
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

looks like this has some promise. You can use baby powder instead of Vaseline for a release agent.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mazinz
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 2, 2007

ok it is still a little greasy. I really think the vaseline screwed with it, but if not, it kind of has the old oily rubber jiggler feel to it. For hah hahs I threw it on the ground (top of the head) and it went bouncing across the room. I do think many of you would be pleased in using this stuff as some sort of rubber head mold. It reminds me of when they would make objects (like animals, dinosaurs, etc) out of that eraser type material.

This is NOT like creepy crawler rubber. In fact too bad this stuff was not created back then. It really does form into a true rubber material.

Painting is another story. I have no paint here (can you believe I could not find any testers kits in the toy aisle at crappy Walmart. Will have to check Toysrus or Target). However since this has that kind of oily feel I am assuming the only paint that might stick to it is latex based. I could be very wrong about this, but until I get some paint (which might be a while away). I would have no idea

I can also tell you that you do not need the starter kit and can use the refill pack as the starter.

Here are the instructions for you:

DO NOT get this stuff on any type of surface you care about because it will stain (the booklet even listed wood, metal ,etc). I used a few paper towels as the outer area and had this stuff on a paper plate in the middle

whatever you take of one color use the same amount from the activator. USE TWO DIFFERENT PLASTIC SPOONS. USE ONE FOR THE ACTIVATOR ONLY AND ONE FOR THE COLORS ONLY. If you use a plastic spoon and scoop 2 spoonfuls of the red color, scoop the same amount of the white activator incredient. NOTE if you buy a refill that comes with molds, the molds will have numbers on it telling you how many scoops to use. The scoops that come with the starter kit are A LITTLE SMALLER THAN A TEASPOON IN SIZE to give you an idea.

put the scoops of the color and activator SEPARATELY on your paper plate. Once the scooping is done, use your hands and mush the two together. DO this as quickly as you can because it will start to set within 4-6 mins. Mix the two so it only turns one color and no white of the activator can be seen. Now mold, shape or do whatever you want with it. If using a mold, leave it in the mold for 10-15 mins (as this is when it is curing). Then carefully remove the mold but still let the zubber be. The booklet mentioned for full curing to wait 24 hours. I kind of did this letting it sit for about 17 hours.

Really that is all there is to it. YOU CANNOT re-use this. Once it is starting to shape and harden after 4-6 mins that is it. If you do not like what you have done you are screwed
                Last edited by mazinz; Sep 21, '09, 9:28 AM.

Comment

• mazinz
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  looks like this has some promise. You can use baby powder instead of Vaseline for a release agent.

I do not think that would work well with this. Picture using silly putty as that is what this stuff is like when you are trying to mold it. If you have baby powder in the mold this stuff would absorb it right up

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

^^ Well, the kids on the packaging are using it in molds, does it reccomend anything for a release agent?
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mazinz
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 2, 2007

No nothing. It just tells you that if you are using a mold to keep it in the mold for about 10-15 mins then carefully remove it. The plastic used in the playdoh molds are different than the matrial used in the molds they give (the molds they give are like that smooth vinyl like plastic) which is why I used vaseline in case it does stick. Personally I do not think this stuff would really bond to plastic like that, but I did not want to take the chance
                      Last edited by mazinz; Sep 21, '09, 7:36 PM.

Comment

• mazinz
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 2, 2007

Ok I just made my first free form thing. I AM NOT TALENTED at all in this area, so my creation looks like something your 6 year old might bring home from an art project at school.

some notes on zubber:
                        it was not the vaseline from the mold (see my previous post), this stuff itself is VERY oily. If you were to greatly soften up silly putty you will get an idea of what you are working with when trying to shape zubber. Therefore IT IS STRONGLY recommended that if you are trying to do something good, CREATE a true mold first and then put the zubber in the mold. Zubber is also not very sturdy, so if you are making a mouth or a piece that needs to be straight you will have to get something to hold this stuff up until it hardens a bit (in my example below I used the zubber spoon to keep the mouth open.

for this prehistoric monster/martian shark creature I made below I used two full tubes of blue and I then used the same amount of activator.

*** My true next project with this stuff will be much better. I am going to create the Blob as zubber has a jewelry set that has a reddish see through color. I also have old small rubber skeletons (reddish) that I am going to put inside this and have the zubber blob attacking a car. It should look really nice once done. For now enjoy my 70's monster shark thing below

I used a bent open paper clip to help with some of the detail (or lack thereof) with the spines on the back. I also wanted to try to add another color after one was already drying. So I gave it the red eyes (red zubber). In my test it seems to be sticking to the already hardening zubber quite well

Again not sure of what kind (if any) paint will stick to this, but will try something soon and let you know of the results

Last edited by mazinz; Oct 18, '09, 3:02 PM.

Comment

• mazinz
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 2, 2007

I also just realized that since this essential forms rubber, I can use an exacto knife and carve out the body more for the shark thing I made above once it fully dries

Comment

• mazinz
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 2, 2007

I used the xacto knife and scraped away some excess on the bottom so he appears a bit better now.

However I found out something else about zubber: evidently it is fire proof. I heated up the same pin to bright orange and tried to burn in more detail after cutting some parts away. The pin would go out in seconds without leaving a mark at all

Comment

• ctc
                              Fear the monkeybat!
                              • Aug 16, 2001

>not sure of what kind (if any) paint will stick to this

If it's soft and oily I'd bet no paint will stick.

Don C.

Comment

• mazinz
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 2, 2007

I was thinking rubber paint might work. It is not super squishy, but like a pencil eraser kind of soft. It seems a little less oily now since I let it dry for a day.

I also figured like rubber, I could burn it with fire but no luck with that. So who knows the paint my stick? Will let you know once i pick some up

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎