X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Is it too early to talk Halloween?

Many of you know I get into the costume thing.

I am putting together a Captain America costume.

I used to sew body suits but found it about the same price to buy running tights (and they look better than what I sew)

I got blue long running tights, matching blue short sleeve shirt and long sleeve white shirt. I have a great belt for the costume and I will cut up an existing red shirt to sew on stripes. I will cut the star out of the blue shirt an hem it back to sow the white shirt behind it.

I got XXL of the same blue shirt to cut the mask out of (I opted not to buy the latex ugly one available through costume supply shops)
    I am still considering the 40's brown leather eye mask and helmet as an option. Sewing the 70's mask will be a challenge -ANY PATTERNS FOR MEGOS I could scale up? Also havent decided how to tackle the feathers.- suggestions?

I did buy 2 costume company items: the sheild and black Hook bots. I searched for used boots that were right for the costume and considered using my army boots but buycostumes.com had the right look, size and price. I will need to color them red with fabric spray paint. I will also need to put insoles in them because it is like walking on concrete.

The shield is a little flimsy and I will do something to stiffen it up. I will also repaint it with richer, metallic colors.

I toyed with getting or making chainmail for my chest/sholders - might still do it.

Now, another prob I have is I am just shy of 5' 8" and lean. Cap is taller and broader. The boots and inserts put me over 5' 9" -not great but not much I can do about it. For Chest / Shoulders I am planning on slightly upping my weightlifting through Sep 27th (half Iron man on the 27th) then go hog wild for bulk over the next month. Lots of large muscle upper body work, high calorie lean diet. I'm 143 now. I think I can put on 2 pounds prior to the race w/o losing speed and then another 5 pounds before Halloween for 150 pounds- again not much but I think that is the best I can do

There is also a secondary character I may have made for $100 to do a duo with a friend.
  • toys2cool
    Ultimate Mego Warrior
    • Nov 27, 2006

I think i'll be Jack Sparrow this year
    "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
    My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• toys2cool
      Ultimate Mego Warrior
      • Nov 27, 2006

dam 5'8 and 143? crap i'm the same height and I weigh almost 200, just take some creatine for 2 months and eat lots of pasta while you workout and you should gain about 15 lbs from now to Halloween

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I'm working on Halloween updates for Plaidstallions right now, so I don't think it's too early.

We're having our first Halloween party for the kids this year and I've decided on this:

I actually should stop working out to be able to make this..

As for the Cap, I wouldn't worry about your size with regards to the suit, nobody will care.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

he has the size and weight to be a perfect Robin or Spidey

Comment

• Brue
            User without title
            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
            I'm working on Halloween updates for Plaidstallions right now, so I don't think it's too early.

We're having our first Halloween party for the kids this year and I've decided on this:

I actually should stop working out to be able to make this..

As for the Cap, I wouldn't worry about your size with regards to the suit, nobody will care.
            That is the janitor from one day at a time, right?

Maybe no one else will notice but I will

Comment

• Brue
              User without title
              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by toys2cool
              he has the size and weight to be a perfect Robin or Spidey
              i agree

i made a spidey suit in 99 - the most complex sewing i have done to date with 2 fabrics for the shirt and i sewed the gloves, mask (with reflective lenses) and boots - It was before I started running and lifting and I was packing an extra 10 pounds all in my stomach without much muscle to make up for it.

i have always been hesitant about being Robin because my little brother's real nam is Robin and has been Robin 3 times- it just doesn't seem right for me to do it.

I felt fine as Barry Allen - He does need to be as thick as Cap

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brue
                That is the janitor from one day at a time, right?
                I think he was the super but yeah, I already have the costume.

Maybe no one else will notice but I will
                Yeah but you're not a custom figure, you're a slim build guy, what are you going to do?
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• starsky
                  veteran member
                  • Aug 26, 2007

[QUOTE=palitoy;364999]I think he was the super but yeah, I already have the costume.

cant believe i remember his name---- schneider!

Comment

• Brue
                    User without title
                    • Sep 29, 2005

How many red stripes how many white stripes does cap have around his torso (realizing with different artists it varies) - mainly thinking 70's

google image search looks like 6 AND 6. mego cap has more. i think kirby cap had more too. the newest caps seem to have less.
                    Last edited by Brue; Aug 6, '09, 2:43 PM.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

I weigh 120 pounds.
                      What are my chances of going as the Incredible Hulk?
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                        MeGoing
                        • May 14, 2003

I love your costumes Brue can't wait to see pics of this one.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                          To Fear is Not Logical...
                          • Feb 17, 2008

Your costumes always look good. I had no idea from your past halloween pics that you were the same height as I am. You've always looked taller in the pictures, so I wouldn't worry about the height issue. Any thought about adding some "sewn-in" muscle to the costume rather than trying to change you?
                          It's all good!

Comment

• Rallygirl
                            Kitsch rules!
                            • May 31, 2008

I have a big Halloween party every year. We fill 5,000 black and orange plastic eggs with prizes, scatter them over 15 dark acres and then make our family and friends find them with flashlights. We run about 200 guests now.

Last year I was Supergirl. In 2007, I was Godzilla. In 2006, I was Bullwinkle. I have a whole corner of my basement devoted to homemade costumes. I was, thanks to a smart person here, going to incorporate the hundreds of Leggs Eggs that I found at a yard sale this year into a Dalek costume. But health concerns have slowed me down. So instead, I have created a great costume and routine for the Swedish Chef from the Muppet Show. Bork! Bork! Bork!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                              Invincible Ironing Man
                              • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Rallygirl
                              I was, thanks to a smart person here, going to incorporate the hundreds of Leggs Eggs that I found at a yard sale this year into a Dalek costume.
                              Cool!
                              I'm building a lifesize Dalek, and was wondering what to use for the globes on his shell. Now what the **** are Leggs Eggs?
                              Last edited by Gorn Captain; Aug 7, '09, 2:21 PM.
                              "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎