X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Hey smokers...

...if you're going to sell online, please disclose your habit.

I ordered a set of GI Joe 40th MOC sandbags, and it was like the seller puffed in my face when I opened the box. The item is unstained but permeated.

Trying to figure out deodorizing now.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 12, '20, 6:38 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I had some stuff that reeked of mildew and I kept in some new Ziploc bags for a while and now it just smells like plastic bag.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I'm trying to avoid washing them, that's the challenge. I tried surface cleaning but the stuffing stinks, I'm sure.

I can see a vinyl bag absorbing odors, though.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

throw in a dryer sheet too.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

yes, use a dryer sheet and close it in the bag. replace after a couple days until the odor is gone. I agree that is a disgusting smell

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            I agree that is a disgusting smell
            It's somehow worse than actual smoking. Funky.

Comment

• tay666
              Career Member
              • Dec 27, 2008

That is why all my ebay auctions clearly state

"Items DO NOT come from a pet or smoke free home.
              If this is an issue for you, then you should probably pass on my auctions."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

The dryer sheet method worked wonders on a Mego Mister Fantastic who must have been rescued from the Nicotine Zone. I had to leave him in the bag with the dryer sheets for like a month though!!!

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Oh my son is struggling with that right now with Clone Troopers. The first batch reeked like the guy hotboxed them, they're still under quarantine since Christmas.

The second batch, we went to the seller's house, texted 20 minutes before arriving and the dude was pulling on a bong when we get there! So not only did the toys reek of weed but so did we for the rest of the day.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy

The second batch, we went to the seller's house, texted 20 minutes before arriving and the dude was pulling on a bong when we get there!
                    Good grief. That shows a distinct lack of maturity and consideration for others.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      Good grief. That shows a distinct lack of maturity and consideration for others.
                      Yeah, he's a really nice guy and you know, do you want on your Sunday afternoon but I kept thinking "that couldn't have waited like 20 minutes?".
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

I feel PNGwynne's frustration, but I LOL'd at Chris' "Nicotine Zone" comment, followed by Palitoy's Stoner Clones.

It does stink (literally), when you're not expecting it and you open that box.

I usually have pretty good luck, but I do remember the booklet to my "Tombstone" CD soundtrack reeking to the point I had to put it in a bag with some baking soda.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

After an isopropyl alcohol rubdown and a 24-hour airing, much better.

(Sounds like I'm discussing poor hygiene lol.)

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

they say newspaper also absorbs odor but I have not had any luck with that method. I usually do a wash(if washable) or at lease a wipedown with disinfecting wipes and then the dryer sheet method. I use dryer sheets to help get out the musty odor too, but that stink is even harder to get rid of

Comment

• danadoll
                              Micronaut Nut!
                              • Apr 11, 2005

It's horrible, I've got a few things from EBay that triggered my Asthma (I'm not kidding), that didn't have any indication of coming from a smoker's home (so sometimes it's a gamble). Smokers really don't realize how bad it smells.

Dana
                              Last edited by danadoll; Feb 15, '20, 10:30 AM.
                              "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎