Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

I never cared for KISS at all, but I admit I'm excited for you guys. I know there's a lot of my friends here who are pumped for this announcement and I'm happy for you.

As for me, I'm excited to see remego's at 12" and hope CTVT extends their existing Happy Days line to the 12" format.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      ^^^^ Either you like the Megoish retro style or you don't. Real simple. To expect a line called retro heroes to have modern design and sculpts is really not too bright. They wouldn't have called 'em that if they weren't going to look like that. What killed the line was poor distribution and QC...
      Yeah. I would pretty much have to agree with that. The style was certainly intended for the collectors. But I believe Mattel was hoping to attract new consumers as well. I think early quality issues with the bodies betrayed the look of the figures. And so instead of finding charm, the younger market perceived their appearance as another quality issue. And those opinions spread like wildfire. With the figures priced at the high end of that scale, it really gave them no chance to survive. I don't think character selection was really a big factor. If they couldn't sell enough of the primary characters like Batman and Superman, they weren't going to sell any of the other selections any better. But as a life long collector, I appreciated the diversity of selections and filling the gaps left from the Mego line. Retro Action certainly served a very important service in the history of 8 inch action figures.
      Last edited by MIB41; Jan 31, '12, 7:55 AM.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        ^^^^ Either you like the Megoish retro style or you don't. Real simple. To expect a line called retro heroes to have modern design and sculpts is really not too bright. They wouldn't have called 'em that if they weren't going to look like that. What killed the line was poor distribution and QC, and probably poor character selection with the GL wave.
        I can kind of agree with you to a certain degree...but not completely. I love the Mego style, but even Mego varied in accuracy in head sculpts to their comic book counterparts. Some were excellent like Mr.Fantastic, Green Goblin, etc...

Others were just plain goofy looking, or "re-used" sculpts like Superman(Dinamite's boyfriend Don), Bruce Wayne(Tex Willer). You get the point.
        sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Considering Figures Inc. apparently intends to release multiple waves of figures, I have no problem with the first wave being a direct repro of the original KISS figures. In future waves, I hope to see some nice portrait sculpts and make up variations. I wasn't too impressed with the likenesses on the Sonic Boom sculpts they posted, but when they're painted, they'll look like KISS enough for most people. Not me, but I'm super picky about KISS figures looking like KISS and not Action Jackson with make up.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
            Considering Figures Inc. apparently intends to release multiple waves of figures, I have no problem with the first wave being a direct repro of the original KISS figures. In future waves, I hope to see some nice portrait sculpts and make up variations. I wasn't too impressed with the likenesses on the Sonic Boom sculpts they posted, but when they're painted, they'll look like KISS enough for most people. Not me, but I'm super picky about KISS figures looking like KISS and not Action Jackson with make up.
            Well said. But I'm sure that distinction is being done so Tommy and Eric can have a piece of the merchandise pie too. Here's a thought... Since the initial line is based off the original molds by Mego, I wonder if Ace and Peter will get residuals from that product, since it was signed off as their likeness back in '77 ? I look at it another way too. We're getting a whole new stack of 12 inch Lex Luthor figures. That figure doubled for Peter Criss. And of course Paul Stanley was actually the Captain from Captain and Tenille.
            Last edited by MIB41; Jan 31, '12, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
              70's Era Pimp
              • Sep 7, 2011

FYI, I had a long and decent chat with Steve S. from Figs Inc. He tells me they are really looking to cater to the hobby shops like they did with their wrestling figs. I have dealt with Figs Inc for over 10 years. Great people.

The figures are made in China. They attacked the quality issue on the bodies head on and he said he is "thrilled" with the new bodies!

Anyway. Just wanted to share that info!

Comment

• livnxxxl
                Megoholic RocketScientist
                • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by Toyman_Chris
                FYI, I had a long and decent chat with Steve S. from Figs Inc. He tells me they are really looking to cater to the hobby shops like they did with their wrestling figs. I have dealt with Figs Inc for over 10 years. Great people.

The figures are made in China. They attacked the quality issue on the bodies head on and he said he is "thrilled" with the new bodies!

Anyway. Just wanted to share that info!
                Thanks for the info Chris. That is great to know.
                Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                  Creature Of The Night
                  • May 14, 2011

Looking forward to these lines!

The retro line in both 8 & 12 inch is really a great intro. Can't wait to see what the Sonic Boom outfits look like, judging by the detail on the facial sculpts and the demon boots, we may be in for a real (affordable) treat! The Dressed To Kill line is a cool idea, and I can't help but wonder what the line based off the first album will be like (album makeup with simple and humble black outfits?)

I will be quite grateful when we will finally have as an option a full set of 12" cloth figures with authentic outfits from both the Love Gun and the Destroyer eras (Paul's LG era figure MUST have the tails!). I will be exceptionally pleased if we are also presented with Alive, Dynasty, Unmasked, Elder and/or Creatures era figures.

Also, (in case anyone is listening) please do not make the same mistake that Sideshow & Medicom made with Paul's Destroyer era outfit. Those solid black boots with the lace up fronts were NOT part of his outfit! They were his ALIVE! boots spray painted black (used in a pinch) for photo shoots when his other boots were not available.

Currently shopping for an additional curio!

Comment

• PeterRR
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Jun 2, 2008

The 8" Figures are a bargain for $22.00 they are one third the size and two thirds the price less then the 12" figures . Go figure

Comment

• Delusional B
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Nov 14, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                      Well said. But I'm sure that distinction is being done so Tommy and Eric can have a piece of the merchandise pie too. Here's a thought... Since the initial line is based off the original molds by Mego, I wonder if Ace and Peter will get residuals from that product, since it was signed off as their likeness back in '77 ? I look at it another way too. We're getting a whole new stack of 12 inch Lex Luthor figures. That figure doubled for Peter Criss. And of course Paul Stanley was actually the Captain from Captain and Tenille.
                      Are you serious?... the Lex Luthor head is the same as Peter Criss? I knew about the Captain and Paul thing but hadn't heard about the Lex figure. So, they reused the Peter head for Lex?!
                      Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Yep. They sure did. Look at the Lex Luthor head. It's the exact same head as Peter Criss. We discussed this a few years ago and the Museum was going to update their KISS page. I'm STILL waiting... Here's the link.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ql70AGi0-YQO0w

Last edited by MIB41; Feb 1, '12, 9:59 AM.

Comment

• The Nawd
                          Nawd your head for yes.
                          • Feb 15, 2011

Wow. Didn't know they used the same head for both figures.

Comment

• Delusional B
                            Museum Super Collector
                            • Nov 14, 2007

Originally posted by MIB41
                            Yep. They sure did. Look at the Lex Luthor head. It's the exact same head as Peter Criss. We discussed this a few years ago and the Museum was going to update their KISS page. I'm STILL waiting... Here's the link.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ql70AGi0-YQO0w

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/file...oLexluthor.jpg

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/file...4/MegoKISS.jpg
                            I can definitely see it. Which came first, though? The Kiss figures came out in 1978 and the Superman movie came out later that same year (Superman figures in 79?). I think the Kiss figures hit the market first but the two lines would have been in development, simultaneously. The sculpt does look more like Hackman than it does Peter Criss. So, I'm guessing that Mego created the sculpt for the Superman line and pulled the wool over Kiss's eyes twice. Wow. I guess they all should have demanded that they have their tongues out to insure each member got an original sculpt.
                            Yesterville Toy Room

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                              Often invisible
                              • Jul 18, 2002

When I started collecting the KISS figures, I could never understand why Peter had sculpted eyebrows and no one else did. Peter doesn't have a cleft chin either. Once I found out it was a repurposed Lex, it all made sense!!
                              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• noelani72
                                27inaleon
                                • Jun 25, 2002

ya know, thinking off the cusp - but I'd like to see a production line that does the painting of these faces.
                                Sersly...how the hell is something like this mass produced...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎