X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doublecee
    • Dec 29, 2007

Looking for Super Joe repairs

Hi,

I have a carded Super Joe winging its way across the atlantic to the UK. I know that the hands and joints are shot. Question is, do you know anyone that is capable of a flawless repair?

Cheers

Craig
    http://www.project-palitoy.com
    Classic Palitoy Adverts I found on 35mm Film
    http://vimeopro.com/palitoy/palitoy-for-the-boys
    http://vimeopro.com/palitoy/palitoy-for-the-girls
    garden Railway
    http://craigsgardenrailway.blogspot.co.uk/
    Day Job
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1117804
  • marmes
    Megolomaniac
    • May 12, 2007

Originally posted by doublecee
    Hi,

I have a carded Super Joe winging its way across the atlantic to the UK. I know that the hands and joints are shot. Question is, do you know anyone that is capable of a flawless repair?

Cheers

Craig
    Hi Craig,

I have had several Super Joes restrung by Joe at he G.I. Joe Medic
    The GI Joe Medic

He puts Mego style hands on them and restrings them.
    They look awesome when you get em' back.
    He's a righteous dude,charges a very fair price and has quick turnover.
    Enjoy your new Super Joe!!
    Best,

M

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
      Career Member
      • May 14, 2007

I repair SuperJoes. My rates are very fair and my work is clean and tight. I started using Doc Mego hands, but now use Cast-a-Way gripper hands. They look more like the orginals. I also cast the bodies to make repro figures for collectors trying to build up their collection. All of my bodies are cast in color matched resin. No painting of the body parts, only the head details. Flesh for the Commander, Green for Darkon, Blue for The Shield, Brown for the Black Commander and Green for Gor. I could do a clear resin casting for Illumous, but that would cost too much. The "1-2 Punch" feature had to be done away with on the solid resin chest casting. But it doesn't work on alot of original Super Joes either. I make repro decals too.

My decals:

Re-built SuperJoes:

I don't have a pic of my body castings, but will post it later today with some of my custom SuperJoe van and dune buggy.

Bob

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

I' am glad someone made this post. ALL of my super Joes are in pieces because the bands in every part of them dried out and broke. Will be sending some PM's out soon
        "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• Drain
          megos are yummy
          • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by mazinz
          I' am glad someone made this post. ALL of my super Joes are in pieces because the bands in every part of them dried out and broke. Will be sending some PM's out soon
          Mine Two. They looked great when I took out them out of years of storage. As some as I moved a joint, they broke, hands crumbled. Can you make Lumanius hands white instead of black
          Mego Nudists Fish Nude Show Off your Rod.

Comment

• ThatBatmanGuy
            Career Member
            • May 14, 2007

Originally posted by Drain
            Mine Two. They looked great when I took out them out of years of storage. As some as I moved a joint, they broke, hands crumbled. Can you make Lumanius hands white instead of black
            Yes, I can make them white. I just chose black on this one to match his back pack.

Bob

Comment

• mazinz
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by ThatBatmanGuy
              Yes, I can make them white. I just chose black on this one to match his back pack.

Bob

Just curious, if i still have all of the original parts (inc hands) can you use the originals when fixing them or is their a reason newer hands have to be used?

Comment

• cjefferys
                Duke of Gloat
                • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by mazinz
                Just curious, if i still have all of the original parts (inc hands) can you use the originals when fixing them or is their a reason newer hands have to be used?
                The original hands just end up completely disintegrating, same as the joints. It's just because of the material Hasbro used. Any Super Joe hands that are actually still intact (very few) are probably extremely fragile, so unusable. So you have the hands for yours? Are they still pliable? I'd imagine that the body repairing process would require the hands to be handled in an undelicate manner, so they might not survive.
                Last edited by cjefferys; Nov 17, '08, 7:34 PM.

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Speaking of Luminous, I saw someone restore a figure using hands from a reissued Henshin Cyborg figure (the smaller Shonen Cyborg that is close to Super Joe scale). So he now has clear, closed fists, and looks pretty cool that way.

Comment

• Neutron X
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 22, 2007

The Shonen Cyborg hands for Luminos are extremely hard to come by. The Shonen Cyborg figure cost $55-75 when originaly imported to USA 10 years ago and now sell in th $100+ range MIP Here's a pic of the one I did.

MORE SUPER JOE STUFF!

Comment

• cjefferys
                      Duke of Gloat
                      • Apr 23, 2006

Ah yes, that's the pic I saw. He looks cool, but those sure are some expensive hands. It's too bad that Takara didn't sell spare parts and you could just buy extra pairs of fists or something. Are all the "Neo" Henshin Cyborgs from 10 years ago selling for a fair amount now? I used to have some but unfortunately got rid of them awhile back.

Comment

• mazinz
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by cjefferys
                        The original hands just end up completely disintegrating, same as the joints. It's just because of the material Hasbro used. Any Super Joe hands that are actually still intact (very few) are probably extremely fragile, so unusable. So you have the hands for yours? Are they still pliable? I'd imagine that the body repairing process would require the hands to be handled in an undelicate manner, so they might not survive.
                        I'll have to check, but from memory, the hands were all in tact for the three figures I own. It was the rest of the joints (elbow, shoulder, etc) that were all apart

Comment

• doublecee
                          • Dec 29, 2007

ThatBatmanGuy,

U have a PM
                          http://www.project-palitoy.com
                          Classic Palitoy Adverts I found on 35mm Film
                          http://vimeopro.com/palitoy/palitoy-for-the-boys
                          http://vimeopro.com/palitoy/palitoy-for-the-girls
                          garden Railway
                          http://craigsgardenrailway.blogspot.co.uk/
                          Day Job
                          http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1117804

Comment

• Neutron X
                            Persistent Member
                            • Dec 22, 2007

The most sought after reissue Henshin Cyborgs are the ones that used the original Gijoe body mold in 12in & 8in figure. The Cyborg 99 line which has magnets in shoulders like Micronauts Karza but in 1/6 scale are also in great demand.

One of the things that keeps these figures in damand is that many new custom Henshin Cyborg suits are released keeping the need of bodies up for the collectors here and in Japan.

Comment

• cjefferys
                              Duke of Gloat
                              • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Neutron X
                              The Cyborg 99 line which has magnets in shoulders like Micronauts Karza but in 1/6 scale are also in great demand.
                              I used to have one of these, a Toys R Us exclusive version that even included a giraffe head arm attachment (in tribute to Geoffrey I suppose). I wish I hung on to him, I probably don't want to know what that sells for now.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎