Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What older show did you enjoy later in life?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr.Marion
    Permanent Member
    • Sep 15, 2014

What older show did you enjoy later in life?

Like a show you didn't watch as a kid and have almost no nostalgia of but started watching and really enjoying as an adult.

For me it was Buck Rogers. Especially the Pilot and first season. It's like a light-hearted disco Star Wars that hits all the right buttons for me. I even picked up the Lunchbox which I love.
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Definitely "Maude," the old Bea Arthur series. Didn't watch it as a kid, but watched it as an adult in reruns on Antenna TV, and I really appreciated her dry sense of humor, and sarcasm. I guess she was the same way on "Golden Girls".
    Last edited by RonnyG; Oct 12, '19, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Most Gerry Anderson shows

Before the 80's I've only heard about and seen Fireball XL5 and Space 1999

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

I honestly cannot think of any. there were more modern shows that I did not watch while they were on and then binge watched and really enjoyed, like Dexter, and Breaking Bad

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Best sitcom of the '70s IMO, though I did not watch it first-run. I think it was the "Seinfeld" of it's decade.

Maude is fun, too.

For genre shows. I'd say U.F.O., which I was introduced to here and greatly enjoy.
          Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 12, '19, 11:35 AM.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• J.B.
            Guild Navigator
            • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
            The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Best sitcom of the '70s IMO, though I did not watch it first-run. I think it was the "Seinfeld" of it's decade.
            My favorite as well, with The Bob Newhart Show coming in at close Second.
            You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Are you being served?
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by J.B.
                My favorite as well, with The Bob Newhart Show coming in at close Second.
                I enjoy Newhart as well. When I was a kid and my dad watched it, I thought Bill Daily was playing the same character as on Jeannie lol.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Makernaut
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 22, 2015

Y'all are naming several shows that CBS rolled out after the Rural Purge that I was too young to appreciate in the original run. MTM Show, Bob Newhart Show, All in the Family, Maude, MASH.....developed a deep appreciation for them as an adult. Strong casts and great writing make all of them hold up well and to me, they seem kind of timeless though they are 70s shows. Well, MASH is set in the 50s, but it has 70s sensibilities (and hair).

Comment

• kinostadt
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 14, 2004

A big one for me was The Prisoner. I didn't watch it until I was an adult in the '90s, but it fascinated me. And, unlike the original 1960s viewers, I went into it aware of and prepared for the ambiguities. I had no expectations for a neat wrap up, so I experienced no frustration. Great series.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

^Well-said, I agree.

Comment

• sprytel
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 26, 2009

The Saint. I never really liked Roger Moore's run as Bond, so I avoided this one... but when I eventually gave it a chance, I loved it. IMHO Roger Moore is a much better Simon Templar than Bond. I'm particularly fond of The Saint's early episodes.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Gunsmoke … As a kid I was always a Bonanza and Rifleman kid … Tried watching Gunsmoke as an adult and liked it.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                            When I was a kid and my dad watched it, I thought Bill Daily was playing the same character as on Jeannie lol.
                            When they had a reunion show for The Bob Newhart Show, it began with Bob telling about an odd dream he'd had (which was the entire run of Newhart, as a joke based on that show's finale). Bill Daily responds, "You know, I had a weird dream that I lived next door to an astronaut!"
                            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Klosterheim
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 23, 2013

Dad's Army.
                              Barnaby Jones.

And many shows that were later available on DVD or through the modern antenna.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎