X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by captact
    Interesting. I'm not blown away, but not bad either. I hope Earth Kitt's face isn't shiny like the prototype pictures. Glad the masks are removable too (wonder if they could have re-purposed one in red for the 1969 Catwoman exclusive?).

Like this one TRDouble?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20554[/ATTACH]
    YES! Just like that! That looks great! Care to share the recipe?

Comment

• scott metzger
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by Teemu
      loose elbow syndrome goes away after transferred to the Mattel Cheetah body
      Frankly, I'd prefer to have loose elbows than the strangely twisted, scrawny body Mattel gave us. Was looking at Mattel's Wonder Woman the other day; lordy, those legs are hideously deformed. The Mego female body has faults, but at least it looks healthy and...somewhat human.

Comment

• lilbrosj66
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 4, 2011

Originally posted by scott metzger
        Frankly, I'd prefer to have loose elbows than the strangely twisted, scrawny body Mattel gave us. Was looking at Mattel's Wonder Woman the other day; lordy, those legs are hideously deformed. The Mego female body has faults, but at least it looks healthy and...somewhat human.
        Completely agree. The legs on the Wonder Woman and Cheetah are just bizarre to say the least! And those weird baby hands.

Comment

• Teemu
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by lilbrosj66
          Completely agree. The legs on the Wonder Woman and Cheetah are just bizarre to say the least! And those weird baby hands.
          Hands that can be replaced

nothing "scrawny" about the Mattel body vs the Mego itty-bitty child breasts and un-natural oversized hips and a mid section that flops over because of the rubber band

It has already been proven the body swap makes the female proportions much better and a more natural looking

Comment

• scott metzger
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 9, 2007

Hands that can be replaced

nothing "scrawny" about the Mattel body vs the Mego itty-bitty child breasts and un-natural oversized hips and a mid section that flops over because of the rubber band

It has already been proven the body swap makes the female proportions much better and a more natural looking
            Proven to you. maybe. There's nothing natural about the Mattel body's bony, anorexic torso or those gnarled legs. And it's actually the Mattel figures that have the worst waists; most are incapable of standing straight no matter what you do, male or female. If FTC moved to bodies like Mattel's, that'd be the last figures I'd buy from them.

In the end, it's all a matter of personal taste and opinion, not a provable fact, which looks better. As for Mattel's proportions: Knock knees. Wide shoulders. Boy hips. Oddly bulging forearms (I yam what i yam!). Truncated torso. Elongated Man's neck. Big hands in perpetual claw-your-eye-out position. It's like drug induced Rob Leifeld Image comic come to life. Ick.

Comment

• darkbros
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 3, 2012

Originally posted by TRDouble
              Yes +1
              and is that a MOTU Beastman whip I see in Catwoman's hand...Glad I wasn't the only one who thought of that....
              Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
              https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------
              "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• Teemu
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 15, 2010

Proven to you. maybe. There's nothing natural about the Mattel body's bony, anorexic torso or those gnarled legs. And it's actually the Mattel figures that have the worst waists; most are incapable of standing straight no matter what you do, male or female. If FTC moved to bodies like Mattel's, that'd be the last figures I'd buy from them.

In the end, it's all a matter of personal taste and opinion, not a provable fact, which looks better. As for Mattel's proportions: Knock knees. Wide shoulders. Boy hips. Oddly bulging forearms (I yam what i yam!). Truncated torso. Elongated Man's neck. Big hands in perpetual claw-your-eye-out position. It's like drug induced Rob Leifeld Image comic come to life. Ick.
                Right

100_7562.jpg

Vs

FTC_BatTV_S5_BatgirlLoose.jpg

Comment

• lilbrosj66
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 4, 2011

Couldn't agree more, Scott. If FTC ever started using the same type of body, I'd be done. I'm just glad that Cheetah's costume covers that funky Mattel body. As much as I love WW, I still have a hard time looking at the Mattel WW and not cringing. My preference? Original Mego bodies. That is all I really use for the most part and it goes back to personal taste. I would rather pay a few extra dollars for old Dinah Mite and Waltons figures and re-purpose the bodies. Are they perfect? No. But they have held up very well over the years and still hold great poses.

Comment

• jeffbearco
                    Persistent Member
                    • Mar 27, 2011

The main issue seems to be that we need a new option. We need a female body that is compatible with the mego female heads, clothes and accessories that is a little more reliable and better fitting, that is a little more busty and realistic.

Actually, most people would probably be happy if FTC just recast a couple of the pre-existing parts to fix these issues. Or if someone else out there would recast a more realist bustline and a better set of hips, the arms and legs would probably be fine. Many have already shown that they would pay the $20 plus shipping to get a good body. I'm one of them. If we could just get those 2 parts redone, how much money could someone make??? Actually, a thin plastic clip-on set of boobs and hips that are easy to add over top of a current body would probably work. If done right, they could even even out the posture problems people complain about.

JeffBearCO
                    Last edited by jeffbearco; Apr 21, '17, 3:55 PM.

Comment

• captact
                      King of Super Queens!
                      • Aug 19, 2007

Originally posted by TRDouble
                      Its just a thin red vinyl,..used on most school looseleaf binder covers, cut out the shape and eyes (like FTC did with their Beast Boy mask), stick on with double clear Scotch tape and VOULA!!!!!

Comment

• captact
                        King of Super Queens!
                        • Aug 19, 2007

Originally posted by darkbros
                        Yes +1
                        and is that a MOTU Beastman whip I see in Catwoman's hand...Glad I wasn't the only one who thought of that....
                        Yep!!! it is...and works like a charm!!!!

Comment

• captact
                          King of Super Queens!
                          • Aug 19, 2007

Originally posted by lilbrosj66
                          Couldn't agree more, Scott. If FTC ever started using the same type of body, I'd be done. I'm just glad that Cheetah's costume covers that funky Mattel body. As much as I love WW, I still have a hard time looking at the Mattel WW and not cringing. My preference? Original Mego bodies. That is all I really use for the most part and it goes back to personal taste. I would rather pay a few extra dollars for old Dinah Mite and Waltons figures and re-purpose the bodies. Are they perfect? No. But they have held up very well over the years and still hold great poses.
                          Like mines....which is now on a vintage Mego body and holds great poses too;
                          20160829155539.jpg

Comment

• scott metzger
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 9, 2007

Right

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20577[/ATTACH]

Vs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20578[/ATTACH]

Thanks for proving my point. Knock knees, Elongated Man's neck, short torso, no discernible hips...

Seriously, though, the FTC body does have some issues the original Mego females didn't; there really isn't a body out there outside maybe the Yvonne figure that actually works as well as the old Megos. Even Doc Mego's female body with the hips you can push in is significantly short in the torso. Thing is, a modified body with a little more detail wouldn't be bad (a clavicle on the chest would be nice, as long is it isn't horribly bony like Mattel's), but I don't really want something too far afield from the original Mego look; what I'm looking for is something that complements the original figures. If I want to leave them as is, I'd like the retro inspired figures to fit in with the old Megos. If I want them for custom fodder, I definitely need them to be as much like the old figures as possible (no desire to switch a few hundred figures to new bodies to match, and that's not even really possible in some cases; I don't even know how I put my Lightning Lad together after all these years, much less how to take him apart ). I'm a life-long Mego fan, and that's pretty much the main market they are catering to here; the original 8" Megos still look really good in a properly made costume. and capture the 70's Neal Adams/Jim Aparo/Irv Novick/etc super hero look dead on. I just want to be able to say the same about the FTC figures, which I often can't, sadly.
                            Last edited by scott metzger; Apr 24, '17, 8:46 AM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ I do agree that the mattel body has knee issues, but the neck is a lot better than the frightened turtle look of the FTC bodied Batgirl that Teemu posted. the Mattel body also solves some of the bigheadedness of the FTC figure too.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Teemu
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 15, 2010

Thanks for proving my point. Knock knees, Elongated Man's neck, short torso, no discernible hips...

Seriously, though, the FTC body does have some issues the original Mego females didn't; there really isn't a body out there outside maybe the Yvonne figure that actually works as well as the old Megos. Even Doc Mego's female body with the hips you can push in is significantly short in the torso. Thing is, a modified body with a little more detail wouldn't be bad (a clavicle on the chest would be nice, as long is it isn't horribly bony like Mattel's), but I don't really want something too far afield from the original Mego look; what I'm looking for is something that complements the original figures. If I want to leave them as is, I'd like the retro inspired figures to fit in with the old Megos. If I want them for custom fodder, I definitely need them to be as much like the old figures as possible (no desire to switch a few hundred figures to new bodies to match, and that's not even really possible in some cases; I don't even know how I put my Lightning Lad together after all these years, much less how to take him apart ). I'm a life-long Mego fan, and that's pretty much the main market they are catering to here; the original 8" Megos still look really good in a properly made costume. and capture the 70's Neal Adams/Jim Aparo/Irv Novick/etc super hero look dead on. I just want to be able to say the same about the FTC figures, which I often can't, sadly.
                                So then why knock the Mattel body when it clearly looks better in comparison?

If you never did the body swap then,how can you even conclude what looks better when you never have transferred it yourself to compare.

The "Knock knees" as you call them, you can't even see when clothed

At least the Mattel torso doesn't stay flopped over from an over-tightened rubber band and then always having to re-position it probably why most people won't open these figures

The body swaps (also onto S-types) clearly have shown to help the FTC head size issues too

As far as the hips? While the Mattel hips may have a more "teenish hips", it's a far cry from the unproportioned over-sized hips that FTC uses

I know a lot of the reason why most don't want to change the bodies out because it costs more money,I get that...but the swaps have proven over and over to be a success and look much better for these figures. My 66 Batman Collection has been a testament to that fact.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎