X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Happy B-Day Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez....

One of my all-time favorite artists. The man can do ANYTHING! Happy Birthday good sir. From my personal collection and a very prized possesion:

• PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Praise Be His Name! Happy Birthday!!
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• johnnystorm
      Hot Child in the City
      • Jul 3, 2008

I sincerly hope DC Comics pays JLG-L decently for everything he's done for them. His work is literally their entire merchandising output!
      Just out of curiosity, has he ever done work for Marvel? I know he started out at Charlton on romance & horror. I'd love to see his work on Spder-Man or Captain America. In fact, he would be the perfect artist to revive the Fantastic Four!

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

JLG-L is truly a man who is as versatile as he is talented and I'm not too sure if there's a DC character out there he HASN'T drawn. If memory serves, his artwork was the basis for many of their style-guides, but I don't know if that's the case anymore. Is he currently still doing work in the field or has his style become too "antiquated" by the standards of today's editors and publishers? As for him doing any work for MARVEL, good question. No doubt he would do a really fantastic Spidey; I sort of envision his version as being Spidey by way of Romita, Sr. with a heaping helping of Neal Adams and even some Ross Andru tossed in...

Many wishes to him for a great Birthday!
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Closest thing I could find to JLG-L doing a MARVEL character is this AMALGAM version of Spiderwing, but even it looks great compared to most of the dreck currently littering comic shop shelves...

sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

For those who may not have seen it, this Facebook page is devoted to the 1982 DC style guide done by JGL-

https://www.facebook.com/pg/JoseLuis...07954002578217

There are photos of the entire book I believe from cover...

to interior pages...

to back cover...

plus additional material form later guides JGL did.

It's a great way to while away a couple of hours.

-M
            "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• emeraldknight47
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by MRP
              For those who may not have seen it, this Facebook page is devoted to the 1982 DC style guide done by JGL-

https://www.facebook.com/pg/JoseLuis...07954002578217

There are photos of the entire book I believe from cover...

to interior pages...

to back cover...

plus additional material form later guides JGL did.

It's a great way to while away a couple of hours.

-M
              Hours?? Heck, I could spend a couple of days or even weeks in there! LOL!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I can't fault any of his work, but I adore how he draws Wonder Woman and the Marvel Family.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                  Hot Child in the City
                  • Jul 3, 2008

After I posted, I remembered he did this:

DC_Special_Series_27_001.jpg
                  batman-vs-the-incredible-hulk.jpg

Not only Hulk was in it, but bad guys Shaper of Worlds, Rhino, Abomination, & The Leader. Been awhile, need to dig that out and re-read it.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                    I can't fault any of his work, but I adore how he draws Wonder Woman and the Marvel Family.
                    IMHO, he did justice to ALL the DC ladies better than almost everyone else!

And I think this might be one of my fave images of BatGirl that he produced. Innocent, yet still seductive...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I've never seen that Supergirl design before--excellent costume.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                        Closest thing I could find to JLG-L doing a MARVEL character is this AMALGAM version of Spiderwing, but even it looks great compared to most of the dreck currently littering comic shop shelves...

That's a fan re-work of this page from The Who's Who loose-leaf edition:

THIS is the ONLY Marvel work JLGL has done...from the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition:

Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Awesome artist. Always been one of my favourites.
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

Thanks for the info on that "Spiderwing" piece, TR. You learn something new everyday. Still the pose and dynanicism of the piece sort of give you and idea of what a JLG-L Spidey would look like. Basically, spectacular!

Comment

• johnnystorm
                              Hot Child in the City
                              • Jul 3, 2008

At Baltimore ComicCon I got a bunch of comics signed by Mr. Garcia-Lopez, and bought one of his sketchbooks ($10). Here's some of the work inside. Including some non-DC heroes...well, Tarzan is technically DC...

IMG_0955-1-1.jpgIMG_0959-1.jpgIMG_0961-1.jpgIMG_0960.JPGIMG_0957.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎