X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mazinz
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 2, 2007

Alumilite mold putty- think I found Zubber

A long time ago Zubber was a discussion on these boards because it was a rubber like substance and was a kids toy that could be pressed into molds to make rubber insects and such.

Here is that discussion and you can see my results with further info using this material on page 2 of that post:

http://megomuseum.com/community/show...=zubber&page=2

Today I finally had a chance to go to a Hobby Lobby (and I must say the place is amazing!!). I found something there called Alumilite Mold putty and that can be seen below:

Now Zubber has technically bombed and disappeared off the store shelves. The problem with that, is it was an amazing on the fly and super quick flexible mold maker

So I was reading the box of Alumilite mold putty and it did seem to be a zubber like substance. I plunked down the rather pricy $30.00 and tried it out

This stuff is 99% exactly what zubber was. The only real difference is this was way less greasy and it did stick to a paper plate (zubber did not), but everything else is the same (same mix time, same cure time, etc). The instructions mentioned on how to do a 2 part mold and did go on to say that if you do this you need to coat the dry mold with Vaseline otherwise the material will stick to the already dry half. Zubber was the opposite of this and applying new zubber to old zubber would not stick

I just wanted to bring it out there for those that may have never heard of Alumilite's Mold putty previously and liked using zubber as a mold maker or even pressing it into your new/old Creepy Crawler molds to make new rubber whatevers that this substitute will work fine
    Last edited by mazinz; Apr 13, '12, 12:45 AM.
    "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"
  • livnxxxl
    Megoholic RocketScientist
    • Oct 23, 2007

I have used and experimented with both Zubber and Alumilite's Mold Putty. I think I was even the first to break the news here when Zubber first came out.

My findings have been that they are both good for an inexpensive quick push mold. However, They both have a very lousy tear strength. Meaning that over a short period of time the mold will likely be destroyed and you will have to make a new one. This especially holds true when working with making moldings that have intricate under cuts. When using this stuff be sure that you make your mold extra thick so that it will last longer.

FYI - For Hobby Lobby fans I would like to encourage you that do not know and remind those that already know to take advantage of the weekly Hobby Lobby 40% coupon found on their website.

Here is the link:

http://hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupon.cfm

So far to date this year Hobby Lobby has continued to have this coupon for the 40% off every week of 2012. (knock on wood) I hope that they continue to do so. Previous years the coupon would be like every other week and was kind of spur attic so one had to keep checking back. I am a very avid Hobby Lobby customer so I definitely put the coupon to good use time and time again.
    Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Can the result be painted?

Comment

• mazinz
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by livnxxxl
        I have used and experimented with both Zubber and Alumilite's Mold Putty. I think I was even the first to break the news here when Zubber first came out.

My findings have been that they are both good for an inexpensive quick push mold. However, They both have a very lousy tear strength. Meaning that over a short period of time the mold will likely be destroyed and you will have to make a new one. This especially holds true when working with making moldings that have intricate under cuts. When using this stuff be sure that you make your mold extra thick so that it will last longer.

FYI - For Hobby Lobby fans I would like to encourage you that do not know and remind those that already know to take advantage of the weekly Hobby Lobby 40% coupon found on their website.

Here is the link:

http://hobbylobby.com/weekly/coupon.cfm

So far to date this year Hobby Lobby has continued to have this coupon for the 40% off every week of 2012. (knock on wood) I hope that they continue to do so. Previous years the coupon would be like every other week and was kind of spur attic so one had to keep checking back. I am a very avid Hobby Lobby customer so I definitely put the coupon to good use time and time again.

Thank you for the coupon and yes that was your post sir. However I never had the molds I made with the stuff go bad or rip, then again it is sometimes hard to see just how much of the crap you will need to cover your item, so I always ended up overdoing it and making large thick molds for a relative smaller object.

Anything I used the stuff with (mold or as a filler for a mold) still is in fine shape today. I have a feeling this stuff will last a number of years if not indefinitely

Originally posted by sprytel
        Can the result be painted?
        I have never found any paint that actually stuck to Zubber. However this stuff is less greasy so you might be able to get paint on it. Hmm then again if you coat this with the flex seal rubber sealant and if it does stick, you can then paint the flex seal rubber

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

I think you should add the pigment before it cures if you needed to have a specific color.
          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• mazinz
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 2, 2007

Originally posted by jessica
            I think you should add the pigment before it cures if you needed to have a specific color.
            Not sure if that would work since the stuff is similar to silly putty in texture

Comment

• livnxxxl
              • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by mazinz
              Thank you for the coupon and yes that was your post sir. However I never had the molds I made with the stuff go bad or rip, then again it is sometimes hard to see just how much of the crap you will need to cover your item, so I always ended up overdoing it and making large thick molds for a relative smaller object.

Anything I used the stuff with (mold or as a filler for a mold) still is in fine shape today. I have a feeling this stuff will last a number of years if not indefinitely

I have never found any paint that actually stuck to Zubber. However this stuff is less greasy so you might be able to get paint on it. Hmm then again if you coat this with the flex seal rubber sealant and if it does stick, you can then paint the flex seal rubber
              No problem at all. Always glad to help out when I can.

You are absolutely correct. The thicker the mold the better. I made a lot of mine sparingly in the beginning as I was just experimenting. I tried to make a little go a long way. The end result was not very saving at all.

Trying to find a paint that would actually stick to the material was my biggest challenge. I never was successful at doing that and eventually put the project on the back burner to do other projects and tests.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by jessica
                Nice thought although I think the issue with trying to do that would be that you would end up having dye all over your hands from mixing/kneading it. That and I do not think that one would have time to mix it properly to get an even color distrubution before the stuff turned hard on you.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Sign up for the Hobby Lobby mailing list and you get a 40% off coupon every week.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• danadoll
                    Micronaut Nut!
                    • Apr 11, 2005

Nice thought although I think the issue with trying to do that would be that you would end up having dye all over your hands from mixing/kneading it. That and I do not think that one would have time to mix it properly to get an even color distrubution before the stuff turned hard on you.
                    Rubber gloves might help with avoiding dyed hands...Heh!

Dana
                    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• livnxxxl
                      • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                      Sign up for the Hobby Lobby mailing list and you get a 40% off coupon every week.
                      No need to sign up as long as they keep putting the 40% coupon on their site.

Comment

• livnxxxl
                        • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by danadoll
                        Rubber gloves might help with avoiding dyed hands...Heh!

Dana
                        I agree. Rubber gloves would definitely help alleviate getting dye on your hands while kneading/mixing. However, I am still not totally convinced that the dye/pigment would take well. And once the gloves come off......???

I have an idea. Why don't you try it and let us know how it turns out.

Comment

• danadoll
                          Micronaut Nut!
                          • Apr 11, 2005

I agree. Rubber gloves would definitely help alleviate getting dye on your hands while kneading/mixing. However, I am still not totally convinced that the dye/pigment would take well. And once the gloves come off......???

I have an idea. Why don't you try it and let us know how it turns out.
                          LOL...Uh I'll have to pass on that.

Dana
                          "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

No need to sign up as long as they keep putting the 40% coupon on their site.
                            signing up brings the coupon to me.
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• mazinz
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 2, 2007

just giving a heads up that I dug out an older Zubber dinosaur-monster creation and gave it a quick dose of flex seal. Will know in a few hours (or day) if it will adhere to the material and bend along with it without peeling off.

if it sticks to the super greasy zubber, there is no reason why it should not stick to the way less greasy alluminate and then that means it can be painted since you can paint flex seal

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎