X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Female-Led Kung Fu Redo Eyed at CW

This feels a bit like the plot of Arrow in the sense of someone returning to save their city. Even though it somehow had a female monk, I kinda like the Fox reboot idea better. I guess it'll be alright if she doesn't want to fight, but the bad guys just force the issue each episode.

A "Kung Fu" TV series reboot with a female star is in the works at The CW — get details.

If you’re feeling Kung Fu redo déjà vu, it’s for a good reason. A female-led reboot of the 1970s series that starred David Carradine is now in development at The CW… more than two years after a female-led reboot landed a put pilot commitment at Fox.

The original Kung Fu starred Carradine as Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin monk who traveled through the American Old West armed only with his spiritual training and his skill in martial arts, as he sought out his half-brother Danny. This new take follows a young Chinese-American woman who drops out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to find her hometown overrun with crime and corruption, she uses her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice — all while searching for the assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor and is now targeting her.

Blindspot EP Christina M. Kim will pen the reboot and serve as an executive producer alongside Blindspot creator Martin Gero and Berlanti Productions’ Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.

(The version developed for Fox, written by Arrow vet Wendy Mericle and also EP’d by Berlanti, followed Lucy Chang, a Buddhist monk and kung fu master who travels through 1950s America searching for the man who stole her child years earlier.)

Earlier this fall, The CW put in development a Walker, Texas Ranger reboot starring Supernatural vet Jared Padalecki.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

The fact that he was just an outsider / a stranger in town was such a core part of the DNA of the show. I don't like them removing it. And yes... if you take the Kung Fu format of heavy training flashbacks, and add in a "return to save the city" element, you totally got "Arrow".

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

I read about it last year, back then it was set in the 1950s and she was searching for her lost child, which felt like another chapter in the Caine family legacy.

Kung Fu is one of my favourite shows of all time, I think it's a fantastic series. The core of the show IMO is the Taoist teachings and then the martial arts, so i'll be tuning in and hoping that they didn't change the recipe too severely.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
        I read about it last year, back then it was set in the 1950s and she was searching for her lost child, which felt like another chapter in the Caine family legacy.
        The article says that was the Fox version that was being developed. I definitely like that idea better. I am worried the CW will "Riverdale" this into something far removed from my beloved original series. I'm worried it will end up being an over-acted, failed attempt at moody with a heavy dose of contrasting lipstick.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Would be great if it was like Uma in Kill Bill

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67
            The article says that was the Fox version that was being developed. I definitely like that idea better. I am worried the CW will "Riverdale" this into something far removed from my beloved original series. I'm worried it will end up being an over-acted, failed attempt at moody with a heavy dose of contrasting lipstick.
            Yeah, I feel that. Personally I am just grateful it isn't trying to re-do the original, just do some sort of offshoot. Not even certain "Caine" will be mentioned.

This is like the fourth attempt to bring Kung Fu back in some fashion BTW.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Sounds more than a little bit like Batman Begins too.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• palitoy
                • Jun 16, 2001

In a strange twist of fate, it's been optioned for a movie now with series creator Ed Spielman on board. This excites me.

Deadpool 2 and Hobbs & Shaw director David Leitch has signed on to direct a movie adaptation of 1970s ABC series Kung Fu, which starred David Carradine.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

This is good news- as much for not having to worry about the financial constraints of a weekly show but also because I hope this means they're dropping the plot of the CW pitch. I hope bringing Spielman in will give this new project the "spirit" of the original while not simply re-doing it.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

The CW, lol.

Sorry, I’d rather watch the Golf channel...and I hate golf...

sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

It sounds like the movie and the CW show are unrelated and both moving forward. That seems unusual to me.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎