X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacoblb
    Persistent Member
    • May 7, 2009

EMCE/DST Universal Monsters

I'm late collecting these excellent figures I wanted them all when they came out, but I was the only one working in my household so money was tighter than usual. I remember having been able to hold ALL THE figures in hand at TRU and pleaded with my wife the Creature figure was going to be hard to get if we didn't buy right then, right now. Alas, we couldnt budget for it and I'd be right. I never saw the figure on the hanging pegs again.

I received my new, unopened figures of the Mummy and Dracula today. Spent $45 shipped.

I remember an old thread by a member here who rewrapped his Mummy. I'm unable to find the thread in a search, can someone help me? I think there was a separate thread about Dracula and how a member made some painting touch ups for the better. Anyone know of that thread? I like the Dracula fine but the example of the face on the cardback looks nothing like the figure whereas the Mummy looks consistent from picture to actual.

If anyone has one extra figure of Werewolf, Creature FTBL, Frankenstein, and the latter wave figures and wants to find a new home for them, look no further.
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

I don't remember paint touch ups for Dracula, but I know I did one for Frankenstein and the Wolfman.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I highlighted the Mummy's wrinkles, but I didn't unwrap him. The highlights really improved the sculpt.

I added Flatt Drac hands to my Dracula.

I shortened the Wolfman's shredded trouser slightlys, and added a cloak braid to Phantom.

My Bride is wearing white Dinah-Mite shoes.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• jacoblb
        Persistent Member
        • May 7, 2009

Pictures look cool! I wonder if I misunderstood and the rewrap was paint highlights. It was years ago. I could have sworn the person acknowledged how his or her revision looked like bandages rather than a body suit. Was curious again for comparisons sake. Kicking myself for missing these when they were originally offered, regrettably nothing can be done about it, no time machine. But I'm gradually getting caught up on retro reissues. I even intend to buy the Mad Monsters down the road, which I hadn't before because the Dracula looked goofy to me. But they're somewhat charming especially the cool Mummy. Every week I try to buy something EMCE or FTC.
        Last edited by jacoblb; Jan 5, '17, 1:52 PM.

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

The EMCE/DST universal monsters collection was a favorite of mine, I still have Frankenstein sealed, but sold
          Dracula Mummy and Creature, now I wish I kept them, oh well.

By the way you got a darn good deal for Dracula and Mummy sealed for $45 shipped, that was the second wave,
          I've seen Dracula alone go for that much on ebay.

Comment

• powersthatbe
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 27, 2010

the emcee universal line was great.so wanted though an invisible man with clear body.Never got their Dracula as I had the Flatt version.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I really pine for one more wave: Invisible Man, Mr. Hyde, Hunchback, Mole-Man.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I really pine for one more wave: Invisible Man, Mr. Hyde, Hunchback, Mole-Man.
                Another wave of universal monsters would be sweet, but since nothing came out last Halloween, I'm thinking
                this line is finished, too bad though, I would have loved seeing an Invisible Man, the Fly and the above mentioned.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, the line is long-dead. I'm just dreaming.

Comment

• greensavage2000
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 9, 2013

I regretfully missed this line when it was out too. I've picked up the Bride and the Mummy. I'm looking to get the rest eventually.

Comment

• bleit1701
                      Career Member
                      • Jan 1, 2009

I did a custom Mummy once but it wasn't a rewrapped EMCE.

Last edited by bleit1701; Jan 8, '17, 1:07 AM. Reason: spelling
                      Better late than never.....

Comment

• BATMAN89
                        Mego obsessed!!!
                        • Jul 20, 2010

Outstanding!
                        Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                        My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• dr_cyclops
                          One eyed, wonder
                          • Dec 17, 2009

Great custom Mummy, Brian. Glow monster hands, really work for me on this character. Are those just wrapped or attached bandages?

Comment

• Hamonrye
                            • Jan 4, 2008

I was lucky enough to find Creech, the Metaluna Mutant, and Phantom of the Opera on shelves. I swapped Phantom onto a Type S body, which enabled this excellent pose:
                            Attached Files

Comment

• bleit1701
                              Career Member
                              • Jan 1, 2009

They are strips of material wrapped around the body with some glue to hold them in place. Then dry brushed with some paint to help him look aged. It took forever to do but it came out pretty good.
                              Better late than never.....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎